Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 Joshua Tree Tour 2017 / 2019 **No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Dibble

I thought the gig was brilliant.

We were Pitch 1 standing near the back and the sound was superb. I don't remember being that impressed with the sound at an outdoor gig before.

I know I'm possibly on my own here, but I loved Miss Sarajevo.

The ending was a little flat but again they tried something different with The Little Things That Give You Away.

From where we were, the audience was fantastic. Everyone was enjoying the gig and had room to dance or jump around. And the lack of people chatting through the gig was much appreciated! Maybe because of all these fans flying in from Europe, the US, South America, etc, and they've spent so much money to be here, they are more interested in enjoying the gig than chatting? Either way, I for one am delighted they made the pilgrimage to Dublin to see U2 play their hometown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Seve OB wrote: »
    Yea there are plenty. I'm not going through to pick out examples. Maybe take a read again yourself.

All I said was maybe Miss Sarejevo seemed out of place, but I don't think I said it should have been dropped and I was very happy with the set list. Yes I would have loved them to finish with 40, but I always want them to finish with 40. I certainly wouldn't have dropped Little Things and I could pick out another 20+ songs I would have loved to have heard them play, but I do realise they are the ones putting the show on, not us.

You on the other hand wanted them to drop Ultra Violet, Little Things, etc and play an accustic set. I'm not saying it wouldn't have been epic, but Ultra Violet is one of their epic songs IMO (all be it not in the same league as the ZOO version) as is Miss Sarejevo. But it is all subjective, what you like and prefer others mightn't.

As Anarchy says, most of the setlist is cast in stone so I don't really get the moaning that this should have been played instead of that etc.... it is what it is and we are only there to watch and enjoy, not to produce, design and complain.

Shoulda coulda woulda

They're just suggestions, christ, that's what this thread is for. I'm not losing any sleep over it, nor am I in any way bashing. I just felt those 3 songs were as flat as can be. Personally I very much enjoyed them. It was clear as day I was in the massive minority however.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Yea there are plenty. I'm not going through to pick out examples. Maybe take a read again yourself.

All I said was maybe Miss Sarejevo seemed out of place, but I don't think I said it should have been dropped and I was very happy with the set list. Yes I would have loved them to finish with 40, but I always want them to finish with 40. I certainly wouldn't have dropped Little Things and I could pick out another 20+ songs I would have loved to have heard them play, but I do realise they are the ones putting the show on, not us.

You on the other hand wanted them to drop Ultra Violet, Little Things, etc and play an accustic set. I'm not saying it wouldn't have been epic, but Ultra Violet is one of their epic songs IMO (all be it not in the same league as the ZOO version) as is Miss Sarejevo. But it is all subjective, what you like and prefer others mightn't.

As Anarchy says, most of the setlist is cast in stone so I don't really get the moaning that this should have been played instead of that etc.... it is what it is and we are only there to watch and enjoy, not to produce, design and complain.

Shoulda coulda woulda

When The Who do those album tours they open with a big visual and aural overture, then into the album, and close out with a selection of bangers. It works really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,991 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

When The Who do those album tours they open with a big visual and aural overture, then into the album, and close out with a selection of bangers. It works really well.

Are U2 The Who?

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

Maybe it's just me but, Bono seemed a tad emotional at certain points...

During RTSS and One Tree Hill

He wasn't the only one! I had a bit of a moment - thinking of all that had happened in the 30 years that had passed.

.... or maybe it was the bulmers :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭LizardKing82

I actually think it's hilarious that people are having a go at them for finishing on the new tune.

The setlist was chronological and served to highlight that the band is still looking forward. To finish on 40 or any other "hit" would be out of sync with the rest of the show

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Are U2 The Who?

You're being way too touchy over this mate. As another poster said, it's only a thread.

The vast majority of posters on here enjoyed the concert. We're only giving feedback re the ending and how it could be improved on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

Fantastic concert I thought. Atmosphere was noticeably better than Twickenham 1 - crowd were in flying form. We were about 15 people back from the end of the 'B' stage, centered looking at the screen.

Thoughts on the setlist: fantastic energised opening and the crowd were going wild during SBS. The main Joshua Tree part was just brilliant. The opening of Streets to the red backdrop gets me in the **** every time. The roars from people down in Pitch 2 for the Flyover was just class.

JT list highlights for me were Streets, Trip through, In Gods Country and Mothers of the Disappeared all sounded fantastic.

The encore was a bit all over the place I thought. It went very mainstream with Elevation, Vertigo, One etc - I'm sort of glad they finished on Little Things given that. I do like to hear their new material but I would have taken "40" over Little Things any day though.

I am lucky enough to be seeing them in Amsterdam this Saturday. I hope it lives up to Croker!

I actually think it's hilarious that people are having a go at them for finishing on the new tune.

The setlist was chronological and served to highlight that the band is still looking forward. To finish on 40 or any other "hit" would be out of sync with the rest of the show
    You might wanna check when beautiful day and Vertigo were released on that case :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭mrk75

shar01 wrote: »
    Maybe it's just me but, Bono seemed a tad emotional at certain points...

During RTSS and One Tree Hill

He wasn't the only one! I had a bit of a moment - thinking of all that had happened in the 30 years that had passed.

I guess RTSS is a Dublin song and wasn't Greg Carroll killed in Dublin too? In any event, OTH probably brings back memories to him of Greg and others who have passed. Tis a poignant song alright.

As goodbyes go, "I'll see you again when the stars fall from the sky..." definitely tugs at the heart strings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭mrk75

I saw Larry had a mic on for Red Hill Mining Town but didn't really notice whether he was singing along.

Anyone else notice this? Maybe it was extra "oooh-oooh-oooh" with Edge during the chorus but it wasn't evident....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Wooderson

mrk75 wrote: »
    I guess RTSS is a Dublin song and wasn't Greg Carroll killed in Dublin too? In any event, OTH probably brings back memories to him of Greg and others who have passed. Tis a poignant song alright.

As goodbyes go, "I'll see you again when the stars fall from the sky..." definitely tugs at the heart strings.

Found it very moving. Especially loved the big focus on the Edge at the coda for what must be a scary prospect vocally for Bono. The reworked crescendo was incredible... then a slight pause before Exit stunned me into pindrop silence. Fabulous stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭lambayire

shar01 wrote: »

Bad, With Or Without You and Running To Stand Still. I definitely had something in my eyes. I was in bits and I cannot blame it on the beer either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭q2xv9rjei4awgb

Christ....

More we talk, post and think about it, the more I realise it really was one of the best gigs I've been at.

I wish it wasn't over :(

Stick on Rattle and Hum DVD with a few drinks tonight and it'll soften the blow ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,211 ✭✭✭C__MC

What an opening to the show

I have been to many a concert but when they sang streets of no name and the jet flew over, absolute goosebumps. Amazing!

Kind of dipped in the middle but overall it was a good night

You might wanna check when beautiful day and Vertigo were released on that case :pac:

After the Joshua Tree :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭setanta74

Based on pure emotion i think I had a few tears during 3 songs. Running to standstill, One tree hill and noticing Dara Fitzpatrick tribute during Ultraviolet. Music is supposed to move you. Job done. Great gig. Hearing one of the greatest albums of all time played live was what it was all about for me. All the rest was bonus. Yes I'd probably bitch about a few things but I think we are in too much of a rush for the perfect experience all the time. Life isn't perfect and neither are gigs.

After the Joshua Tree :pac::pac:

And also after One and Ultraviolet......oh wait! Bono! No! You broke the magic order that was 100% set in stone.:eek::eek::eek::eek:;)

And also after One and Ultraviolet......oh wait! Bono! No! You broke the magic order that was 100% set in stone.:eek::eek::eek::eek:;)

• First part of the show was song leading up to The Joshua Tree
    • Second part of the show was the Joshua Tree in it's entirety
    • Third part of the show was a run through of the greatest hits post Joshua Tree
    • The final act was to play the new song off the forthcoming album

If you cant get your head around how that is a chronological running order then you need to look up the definition of the word

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

You should be a politician with how you managed to spin that and still fool yourself into thinking you're right :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Been to a gig for every U2 tour since Zoo TV and that was my favourite one since PopMart. Nothing will ever come close to Zoo TV for me but I thought Saturday was a real celebratory night.

I went into it without having read anything about the show, no set lists, stage set up, nothing. So imagine my surprise at hearing Sunday Bloody Sunday as the opener!

Listening to The Joshua Tree live was a truly incredible experience. I got quite emotional at hearing some of these amazing songs for probably the only time in my life. Just hearing Greg Carroll's name being mentioned before One Tree Hill, it was a sobering moment and a reminder that these lads up on the stage, like everyone else, have experienced pain and loss in their lives.

No gig is ever going to be perfect. It actually saddens me to see the quibbles over the inclusion of Miss Sarajevo. I mean, I understand where people are coming from and I probably agree it didn't quite fit in to the set but it's one of their greatest songs and I'm thankful for any opportunity to hear it live.

I do think they should have used the screens for the B stage songs. I'm tall enough and I could just barely make them out from where I stood on the pitch (front right of main stage) but there were people around me asking me where the band actually were! It wouldn't have detracted from the impact of Streets... all they had to do was show the band, no need for the fantastic visuals until the Joshua Tree set started.

Elevation and Vertigo are hardly U2 classics but they work brilliantly live. I would have loved Until the end of the World, maybe instead of One and then finish with One after The Little Things. Ah hindsight and all that!

But brilliant gig overall. It was a privilege to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭starWave

I do think they should have used the screens for the B stage songs. I'm tall enough and I could just barely make them out from where I stood on the pitch (front right of main stage) but there were people around me asking me where the band actually were! It wouldn't have detracted from the impact of Streets... all they had to do was show the band, no need for the fantastic visuals until the Joshua Tree set started.

Where the streets is the start of the Joshua Tree :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

starWave wrote: »

It is indeed. Not sure what the eye roll is for though.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Boatlake

JKerova1 wrote: »

I am lucky enough to have seen U2 twice on this tour having seen them in Rome last week too. Looking at it completely objectively I have to say that the Rome concert was superior in almost every aspect.

They didn't have a flyover in Rome but the 40,000 flash mob was much better,
    http://www.u2.com/tour/date/id/45561418/2

Have to agree with you that it was superior in every way. Except the security was terribly slow getting in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭tritriagain

starWave wrote: »

I think you need to reread green goblins post and then the penny might drop

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭aristotle25

Watched a few videos on YouTube and it brought it all back. It was an amazing night of just celebration and it was a brilliant show.

The warm summer air, the sun setting, the flyover, the energy from the crowd, everyone dancing in the stands, the imagery on the screen, the Joshua tree album, the 4 opening belters of songs (I never thought they would really work on paper), the encore pickup again, what a great night.

Like slane, this one will stay in my memory and people will look back on it in years to come as one of the great U2 gigs in Dublin.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,402 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The fly over Didn't look as central too me as it did does in the offical videos of it on u2s Instagram. I was in lower Hogan section 333 row Q. Tbh didn't see much of it with my own eyes it truly came out of nowhere

https://www.instagram.com/p/BW8Vg1xBsX_/

So after 2 days i can still say What a gig it was and look forward too getting a bootleg of it somewhere. I'll never forget it

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Boatlake wrote: »
    They didn't have a flyover in Rome
    The warm summer air, the sun setting, the flyover, the energy from the crowd, everyone dancing in the stands,

I wasn't at it, but heard about the flypast beforehand and thought it would have been pretty cool, so much so that I actually told people I knew going to watch out for it -but I was embarrassingly put firmly in my place with this post
    Everyone seems to be raving about this flyover but its all been done before back in 1975 at Knebworth festival with Pink Floyd, they had a flyover when they opened with Shine on you Crazy Diamond.

I now feel very sorry for those ignorant idiots who were impressed. :o;) I will do my full research in future. At least those ignorant of this at the time can now downvote their appreciation of the gig based on this vital newfound knowledge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,381 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It wasnt even the first Croke Park flyover... the american fighter jet that screamed over the Boston College american football game would have had the fougas for supper without breaking its stride!

There may be earlier ones...

My only complaint is... blink and you miss em.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement