Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 Joshua Tree Tour 2017 / 2019 **No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭lazer.blue

Graham1978 wrote: »
    When can we most likely see them back again, so p***ed they didn't do a second show

Willie Williams said in his Irish Times interview that the Experience album is next and they are going to tour that next year. So maybe the 3 Arena late next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,991 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Congrats too Adam Clayton on the birth of his Daughter and first child this week

Fair play too him for still knocking them out at 57. Sure if Mick Jagged can do it in his 70's

I don't really get into all that following what superstars do in their personal life but I'm pretty sure he already has a kid and this is no. 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭mrk75

JKerova1 wrote: »
    Imagine Coldplay trying to do ZooTV. They are not even in the same league as U2.
    Yeah, people comparing U2 and Coldplay is ridiculous. You could say Take That put on a great show too but what do people want? A circus or rock 'n' roll?
    Poor old Coldplay need as many bells and whistles and colourful clothes as they can get to augment their awful tunes and general drabness...:)

My mate who is a bigger U2 fan than Coldplay said the same thing, and from the videos I saw of Coldplay it did look amazing.

In fairness they're probably at their peak now whereas U2 are literally on the verge of retirement.

I was at both gigs and it pains me to say it but I have to agree with your mate ,Coldplay blew U2 out of the water.

Coldplay's show was far more energetic and the sound and lighting was superb.
    It was a real carnival atmosphere with the fireworks and xylobands and they used the B stage and screens better than U2 did,the atmosphere was electric,the best I have ever seen at a stadium concert.

I didn't like how U2 deployed the screen ,too much Corbijn imagery and not enough closeups of the band.
    U2 seemed jaded in comparison to Coldplay ,who musically are not as good but they put on a brilliant show.
    Even Chris Martin who can be a bit of a prat came across more sincerely than Bono in his speeches and he did a nice improvised song with a guy from the crowd who was crowd surfing on a wheelchair.
    Yeah, but Bono would have cured the guy in the wheelchair....8-)

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭SoundOfSilence

mrk75 wrote: »
    Yeah, people comparing U2 and Coldplay is ridiculous. You could say Take That put on a great show too but what do people want? A circus or rock 'n' roll?
    Poor old Coldplay need as many bells and whistles and colourful clothes as they can get to augment their awful tunes and general drabness...:)

U2 pioneered the rock n roll circus so get off your high horse. And this is coming from a massive u2 fan. The claw from the 360 tour was the height of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

mrk75 wrote: »

Well, my first time seeing U2 was in Cork for ZooTV and have seen them a few times since: PopMart, Vertigo, 360 (But unable to this time). U2 have been about spectacle for a LONNNNNNG time at this stage. To say that Coldplay and Take That use every bell-and-whistle they can get their hands on and U2 don't is crazy. U2 PIONEERED the spectacle.

ZooTV:
    2bdc0997f18ccb98ec5a868066c445af.jpg

PopMart:
    559aaff9741435298a4721bfd28fc76d.jpg

Vertigo (U2's new "Intimate" stage):
    bonocoexist.jpg

360:
    1145539-u2-360-claw.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I like U2. But they're not a bunch of lads with guitars and a drum

Indeed. U2 have always been to the fore but their gigs have always looked amazing while sounding amazing. At the very core of it all, it has always been about the music. Others may rely more on the spectacle to deliver the whole show experience.

I think U2 have shown - by the very basic show they did for the first 15 or so years of their career and the relatively stripped-down nature of JT30, that the songs on their own more than stand up. Plus they've always had a bit of a nod and a wink about their live gimmicks over the years e.g. the lemon.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭ITgirl73

Impromptu performance of I will follow tonight in Paris - pity they didn't/couldn't do that Saturday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 42,089 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

ITgirl73 wrote: »
    Impromptu performance of I will follow tonight in Paris - pity they didn't/couldn't do that Saturday night.

Aw man! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

Well I guess we got "the little things that give you away" instead. That's the good thing about multiple dates in a city, the band will always mix up the set list to a degree.

I can't believe we didn't get "a sort of homecoming" in croke park! Would have loved to have heard that one, then again if it was going to take the place of "bad"..... I can live without it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

23 songs, mysterious ways and a sort of homecoming and no little things. Woulda much preferred that than the damn fly over :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭q2xv9rjei4awgb

Sorry but, why is everyone comparing Coldplay's gig to U2's?

Actually, why are you all comparing their stage shows? Not even the music....

Coldplay are at their peak, are producing a lot of almost "EMD" music and have this big massive light show, that lends itself to something ****ing Deadmau5 would put on. It's brilliant...

However, U2 are touring an album that's 30 years old and the emphasis was put on the songs before the tour even started! Imagine having coloured wristbands and strobe lighting for Trip Through You Wires ffs...

Sorry, imagine even having strobe lighting for Streets or One or WOWY or Bullet The Blue Sky or Bad etc etc.

Two very different types of music

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I Will Follow and Mysterious Ways two very pleasant surprises last night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

ITgirl73 wrote: »

Take a bow everyone, they've probably been reading this thread!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

Take a bow everyone, they've probably been reading this thread!! :D

"We'll show those pesky Croke Park Posters!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭don corleone

Anyone heading to the Amsterdam show's this weekend? thinking about going to the Sunday gig. Cant see any big surprises in the setlist now as thew tour winds down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭jsms88

Anyone heading to the Amsterdam show's this weekend? thinking about going to the Sunday gig. Cant see any big surprises in the setlist now as thew tour winds down

I'm heading on Sunday too.... mainly in the hope of them playing A Sort of Homecoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

Yep I'm going to the saturday show - GA ticket. The roof is closed and covered in black which should make a great show in terms of sound and lighting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭jsms88

Veloce wrote: »
    Yep I'm going to the saturday show - GA ticket. The roof is closed and covered in black which should make a great show in terms of sound and lighting.

There's a lot of filming taking place this weekend too by the sounds of things. These might be the DVD concerts.... particularly if the roof is closed and they have the perfect lighting!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Veloce wrote: »

That's one of the main reasons I am going too ( that and the fact I am here on work ,what a coincidence :pac:),its a closed environment and the lighting aspect will make a big difference.
    Its a compact venue so the stage looks much bigger than it did in the vastness of Croke Park.
    I've read that the sound in the Arena isn't the best though ,seemingly it bounces off the roof,hopefully that black clothing might help.

ac845f1e27715cbd30a3413aa8fbbbfa.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,402 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Bit sick of looking at pictures of the flyover tbh

Wow that looks amazing, the closed roof. Thats a game changer.
    Im going mainly because I missed out on Croke park as my tickets turned out to be 'invalid'. Absolute nightmare. Never use Viagogo is the lesson to take from it.
    Anyway, yea I read that they are doing some filming today and yesterday with U2 fans in Amsterdam. That may mean this is the DVD gigs. Cannot wait to jump on that plane tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Im going mainly because I missed out on Croke park as my tickets turned out to be 'invalid'. Absolute nightmare. Never use Viagogo is the lesson to take from it.

That's very nasty .Did you book your flight this week ?
    Viagogo seem to be a nightmare to deal with if you have a problem ,pure rogues.

http://u2.fanfire.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Store.woa/wa/product?sourceCode=U2CFCMWWEUR&sku=U2T73357

was this the price at the gig ??

i have a one off u2.com discount and it will cost me E30.50 delieved

They were out of them on the hogan side last sat :(:(:(:( or so i was told

It comes with a branch off the original Joshua Tree....

It comes with a branch off the original Joshua Tree....

For the price of it and the ticket i want to be getting a dinner date with bono

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

Here's a multicamera mix of Exit (a fav of mine live) from Croke Park last Saturday.

Hope you enjoy.

Cheers

That's very nasty .Did you book your flight this week ?
    Viagogo seem to be a nightmare to deal with if you have a problem ,pure rogues.
    Yea only this week. Expensive enough too at 350 euro. Thats before you add in concert tickets and accommodation.
    They were terrible to deal with. My other half had bought me a pair of tickets earlier in the year for my birthday, paid over the odds too rather than take the chance standing in a virtual ticketmaster queue the morning thye go on sale and risk missing out altogther.
    When I tried to scan my ticket the lad working there said the tickets had been cancelled by whoever originally bought them before putting them up on Viagogo. So I called Viagogo and after been  on hold for the best part of 45 mins, standing outside the venue watching all the people strolling past me, I eventually got hold of someone.
    They wanted proof the tickets were deemed invalid from Croke Park ticket staff, asked me to take a picture of them and get a member of staff to sign there name on the ticket and send it all via email to them before they would even try to help me. After all that they ring back at 8.40pm and say sorry we couldnt find any replacement tickets to provide you with, I had seen loads on their website while I was waiting on the call and I told them this to which they replied 'we only look for tickets the same price or cheaper than what you paid for yours'. I then told them Id pay whatever the extra was as long as I could get into the gig but they told me it was too late because the event had a start time of 8.30pm which meant they couldnt access their ticket sales site for this gig. 
    They did fully refund me, but it was only a small consolation after the bad experience I had with them down at the venue. Honestly never EVER buy from that site. They as much as admitted to me that for every event they sell tickets for this situation will happen to a certain percentage of the tickets they sell that they have no way of preventing it. All they can do is offer a full refund. Not worth the risk IMO, especially if it's something you have been looking forward to all year.

bonoman66 wrote: »
    Here's a multicamera mix of Exit (a fav of mine live) from Croke Park last Saturday.

Hope you enjoy.

Cheers

Love your multi cam vids!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

Love your multi cam vids!!

Thank you. I appreciate that.

Just something I enjoy doing when I get a chance etc.

Cheers

Advertisement