Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 Joshua Tree Tour 2017 / 2019 **No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

jsms88 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you need to print out the eticket or can they scan it from a phone?

Question from a friend heading along to Brussels gig....

Was at Amsterdam gig on Saturday night and girl in row next to me was trying to use her phone to get in but scanner was not reading it. Someone went off to find a ticketmaster rep so don't know what happened after that. Safer to print it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭q2xv9rjei4awgb

But the sound was excellent all over the stadium for Coldplay ,crystal clear on the pitch and in the stands . Why couldn't it be the same for U2 ?

Where you there?

If not, I'd take that with a pinch of salt.
    If you were, many factors come into it in terms of mix, mids, positions of towers etc.

Unless you were all over the stadium at Coldplay, there is no way in hell for you to know there wasn't a location with no dodgy sound. My mate was top tier in the Davin and the sound was spot on according to him, whilst I know a couple who said the sound was **** in the lower Hogan, towards the Canal End.

Every single band, who has played Croke Park since it was done up, has never had a flawless night in terms of sound. If Coldplay did, then they're the first ones ever and deserve unlimited credit for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭SoundOfSilence

I was in the lower Hogan close to davin stand for the coldplay gig and the sound was far superior to the 6 gigs I'd been at in Croker previously.

I was in the lower Hogan close to davin stand for the coldplay gig and the sound was far superior to the 6 gigs I'd been at in Croker previously.

Then they're the only ones to find a way to combat it and deserve the props.

I know U2 bought an entire new rig for this tour. As I said, best sound I ever heard. Everything was so clear. You could make out individual notes on each instrument. However, obviously didn't combat the bad acoustics in some sections in the stadium

Edit: Btw, I was referring to U2 fans I know in the Davin and Hogan. Not Coldplay

Actually, someone else had the worst sound in Croke Park. Even on the pitch it was terrible

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭jsms88

Actually, someone else had the worst sound in Croke Park. Even on the pitch it was terrible

The place just wasn't designed for music. There's a risk with sound involved in any outdoor gig though to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭westcork67

Definitely Croke Park is a hit and miss alright for these gigs - I was at U2 (rubbish sound) and Coldplay (excellent sound) - I had several friends all over Croker for both gigs and no one mentioned any issues at Coldplay whereas 2 others said the U2 sound was poor (though one guy said it was superb on the pitch)

One thing I noticed is that Coldplay had speakers "hanging" from the stadium right around whereas I did not notice them at U2 gig? Not an expert, just an observation. For sure I will not go to Croke Park for a concert again unless I get standing tickets - will not put myself through the same disappointment as at U2

One other comment - anyone else feel that the big screen was completely underutilised at the concert - some times it was brilliant particularly the silhouette effect against the red but the band were dots to me from the lower hogan and I had feck all interest looking at a load of self indulgent twaddle images from Corbjn on the screen - did not help to immerse such a big crowd in the concert itself - seeing the band as specs while watching a bunch playing brass intruments, or some woman painting a wooden shack - complete waste of the technology from my pov.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭don corleone

I was at the Amsterdam gig on Sunday and I thought the sound was fine. Not spectacular but no problems with it either. We did find some of noels stuff a bit off soundwise and we moved to a different section and it improved a lot. Overall I thought it was a fantastic show. Like a good few on here I would love to have another night of this tour to look forward to. If only u2 would add one final dublin date to end the tour 😆

Edit: Croke park is an awful venue for concerts in general, soundwise and logistics wise. I'd love u2 to stick with arena tours going forward. The Amsterdam arena I found is a far better venue. Easy to get to the bar, food stalls, toilets etc without missing large sections of the show getting to and from your spot in the crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Where you there?

Yes I already stated that I was at both Coldplay and U2 in Croke Park

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104187532&postcount=3391
    One other comment - anyone else feel that the big screen was completely underutilised at the concert - some times it was brilliant particularly the silhouette effect against the red but the band were dots to me from the lower hogan and I had feck all interest looking at a load of self indulgent twaddle images from Corbjn on the screen - did not help to immerse such a big crowd in the concert itself - seeing the band as specs while watching a bunch playing brass intruments, or some woman painting a wooden shack - complete waste of the technology from my pov.

Yes,I agree 100% with everything you say,the screen was wasted for most of the concert.
    There were complaints on the Popmart tour that the band were engulfed by the screen and looked like ants ,well on this tour it was much worse.

As you said if you were in the stands or a good bit back on the pitch,you couldn't see the band properly.
    They looked tiny and didn't stand out against the screen ,in fact they looked like shadows against it .
    The stage is too near the screen and it can't be lit properly so its hard to see the band.

As for Corbijns stuff ,I'd have binned most of it .
    Why wasn't the centre of the screen used for his stuff and have closeups of the band at either side of it for the whole concert.
    I know they used the screen for closeups of the band for some songs ,but nowhere near enough.

For such an impressive piece of technology they made a complete balls of utilising it effectively.
    I was at the Amsterdam gig on Sunday and I thought the sound was fine. Not spectacular but no problems with it either. We did find some of noels stuff a bit off soundwise and we moved to a different section and it improved a lot. Overall I thought it was a fantastic show. Like a good few on here I would love to have another night of this tour to look forward to. If only u2 would add one final dublin date to end the tour 76;˜†

Edit: Croke park is an awful venue for concerts in general, soundwise and logistics wise. I'd love u2 to stick with arena tours going forward. The Amsterdam arena I found is a far better venue. Easy to get to the bar, food stalls, toilets etc without missing large sections of the show getting to and from your spot in the crowd.

The Arena is an easy venue to get around and has plenty of space around it outside ,unlike Croker.
    I notice that they filled the pitch on the Sunday night ,it was pretty full .
    I enjoyed it much more than Dublin ,I was up near the B stage ,and the band seemed alot more relaxed and rested, I think this is the best place to see this tour .

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭lambayire

westcork67 wrote: »
    One thing I noticed is that Coldplay had speakers "hanging" from the stadium right around whereas I did not notice them at U2 gig? Not an expert, just an observation. For sure I will not go to Croke Park for a concert again unless I get standing tickets - will not put myself through the same disappointment as at U2

Yep, this has to be a major factor. When the Coldplay gig was approaching, I was going by Croker every day and I noticed them. I got chatting to a security guard and he reckoned he had seen those hanging speakers at Croke Park before. I've been to half a dozen Croker gigs and never noticed them before.
    The sound was not good for Coldplay's first song. I was thinking, here we go again. After that, it was as good a sound as I've ever had for an outdoor gig in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭tritriagain

I would imagine it is probably easier for cold play to achieve a clearer sound as the would for want of a better term be more poppy than u2.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

Here's Bad from the gig for anyone who may be interested.

Hope it brings back some nice memories..

Cheers

Correct me if I'm wrong but, isn't Coldplay's more recent stuff akin to EMD type sounds and what not?

Are there any guitars or drums in Sky Full of Stars? Are they vital to songs of that ilk?

If not, there's your answer as to why their sound was better

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Correct me if I'm wrong but, isn't Coldplay's more recent stuff akin to EMD type sounds and what not?

Are there any guitars or drums in Sky Full of Stars? Are they vital to songs of that ilk?

If not, there's your answer as to why their sound was better

There was plenty of drums in their songs ,Will was really belting them,and plenty of bass and an organ ,things that would normally be overpowering at a concert but they somehow managed to achieve a brilliant sound.

There was plenty of drums in their songs ,Will was really belting them,and plenty of bass and an organ ,things that would normally be overpowering at a concert but they somehow managed to achieve a brilliant sound.

Watched some clips there from recent live shows....

Yeah, they're using backing tracks on a lot of their recent stuff. Sky Full Of Stars may aswell just be a backing track with Chris singing over it, so there's half your answer. I can't comment on the older stuff.
    All I will say is, put Deadmau5 or Tiesto in Croke Park and they'd have a good sound.

I saw a few clips of Magic from Croke Park. The sound did not seem "brilliant" to me.

EDIT: Bass and Organ overpowering?! Yeah, if the sound man hasn't a clue what he's at. I've never experienced that and I've been to nearly 300 gigs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

bonoman66 wrote: »
    Here's Bad from the gig for anyone who may be interested.

Hope it brings back some nice memories..

Cheers

Great stuff, thank you! Slight bit depressing seeing Bono in an iPhone surrounded cell, American heavy. Dare I say it looks almost flat crowd wise up there.

He doesn't half mess up the lyrics too, intentionally and accidentally!

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭SoundOfSilence

Watched some clips there from recent live shows....

Yeah, they're using backing tracks on a lot of their recent stuff. Sky Full Of Stars may aswell just be a backing track with Chris singing over it, so there's half your answer. I can't comment on the older stuff.
    All I will say is, put Deadmau5 or Tiesto in Croke Park and they'd have a good sound.

I saw a few clips of Magic from Croke Park. The sound did not seem "brilliant" to me.

EDIT: Bass and Organ overpowering?! Yeah, if the sound man hasn't a clue what he's at. I've never experienced that and I've been to nearly 300 gigs

U2 have been playing to backing tracks for years, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Dontfadeaway

Boxscore

U2
    Croke Park
    Dublin, Ireland
    July 22, 2017
    $9,963,957
    80,901 / 80,901

• Registered Users Posts: 38,402 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Boxscore

U2
    Croke Park
    Dublin, Ireland
    July 22, 2017
    $9,963,957
    80,901 / 80,901

A nice chunk of change all the same

U2 have been playing to backing tracks for years, no?

Not to the level Coldplay are with the likes of Sky Full Of Stars etc.
    Certainly not in Croke Park two weeks ago anyways. Not many backing tracks needed for the JT tracks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,991 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

intentionallyyyyyy accidentallyyyyyyy!

that would work actuallyyyyy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭lazer.blue

Great stuff, thank you! Slight bit depressing seeing Bono in an iPhone surrounded cell, American heavy. Dare I say it looks almost flat crowd wise up there.

He doesn't half mess up the lyrics too, intentionally and accidentally!

Have to agree with you on the phones. It's one thing taking a few snaps but recording whole songs and even shows is too much. Having said that some of the footage online is great to see but on balance I would rather have my memories of a show if it meant we didn't have all these phones being held high. Some seem more intent on showing the world their photos/videos than enjoying the moment. Some of those who attend multiple shows are most guilty of this, uploading near identical footage from different shows time and time again.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,991 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Anyone here use the ticketmaster code for the U2 subscription?

Im having trouble with mine as it is trying to charge me even with the code

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

Here's a multicam of the last song of the night. The new track called The Little Things That Give You Away.

Hope you enjoy..

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Graham1978

Gonna miss this thread , until next tour

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Graham1978

Graham1978 wrote: »

Won't have to wait too long I'd say. I&E tour back on the road next year. I'd be surprised if they bring it back to Ireland though to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,402 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

i reckon we will get SOE either xmas or early next year and the E&I/SOE tour will kick off mid 2018 and we will get a few shows on the euro leg

would not surprise me if its 2019 by the time was see u2 play Ireland again. Id take that as u2 tickets are quite expensive and would not fancy having to pay close to E200 again so soon but we just have to wait and see

Id love an offical DVD release of a show on this tour or a documentary on it

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭don corleone

Id be surprised if there is no DVD release of this tour given the prestige of the album. No worries if they dont come through Ireland next time Amsterdam is a great spot for a gig :)

• Advertisement

Id be surprised if there is no DVD release of this tour given the prestige of the album. No worries if they dont come through Ireland next time Amsterdam is a great spot for a gig :)

I'd say there's no doubt they'll put out a DVD. They've done at least one for every tour since the mid 80s. Live in Argentina or Brazil would be good.... great passionate crowds for a DVD.

I'd say they might go more east than Amsterdam. They havnt played the likes of Poland and Croatia since 2010.

Advertisement