Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 Joshua Tree Tour 2017 / 2019 **No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

lazer.blue wrote: »
    looks like some of the usual suspects were 'randomly' selected to appear in the video

Yes ,the self appointed queue masters in Amsterdam handled the selection I believe.
    I'm sure Adam was delighted to see them all .:)

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭weadick

The video or the sound mix havent done much for this song, I'm surprised U2 let it be released sounding so dodge. There could be a good song underneath somewhere.

Some of Bono's lyrics remind me of an old Irish tv ad...'take the taxi Maxi, take the DART Bart'.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

If this is an indication of the direction of the new album I think its time for U2 to pack it in. It'll be worse than the last one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Wooderson

The Nal wrote: »
    If this is an indication of the direction of the new album I think its time for U2 to pack it in. It'll be worse than the last one.

Thanks for that insight. Such a surprising thing to read from you on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭q2xv9rjei4awgb

"If The Fly is an indication of the direction of the new album, I think it's time for U2 to pack it in. It'll be worse than Rattle & Hum" - The Nal, October 1991

• Advertisement

Very disappointing song ,too generic

Don't quite get this.

You say it's too generic yet, I bet you think Miami, Moment of Surrender, Fez etc are all too out there. I also bet you turn the radio up in the car when Run To You or Mr. Brightside comes on. Are they not generic?

You either like the song or you don't! Simple as!

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭mrk75

Possibly a decent album track in the context of the collection of tunes when it does emerge but it isn't blowing me away.
    Not much of a melody, chorus isn't great, Bono's singing isn't the best (that sorta almost spoken-word whispering style in the verses is a bit played out) and the 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover nod (Jack, Zack, etc.) grates a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭aristotle25

Pretty decent song but that's all. Just no melody and not anywhere as interesting as actung baby, pop or zooropa. Feels very middle of the road and safe. Cant complain really given the length of their career, still happy for them to send out new albums and seeing them live.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,380 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Don't quite get this. You say it's too generic yet, I bet you think Miami, Moment of Surrender, Fez etc are all too out there. I also bet you turn the radio up in the car when Run To You or Mr. Brightside comes on. Are they not generic? You either like the song or you don't! Simple as!

They're not generic, they are archetypal...

This song is generic, it doesn't stand out from other U2 songs we have heard either in quality or in characteristics.

I don't dislike it, but it is a disappointment. I'm not going to turn it off if it comes on, but I can't see many people actively seeking it out 12 months from now.

If it wasn't for the fact that it was released in isolation by a band as famous as U2, this is not a song that would get much airplay \ individual ITunes downloads \ radio requests etc etc

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    They're not generic, they are archetypal...

Ehhh they're the same thing ffs :D

As for your last line, you do not know that at all so, why you're claiming that as fact is beyond me.

16 years on, Elevation is still played on Radio and is a live staple.
    12 years on, Vertigo is still played on Radio, requested and is a live staple.

Did you really think that about those two at the time? If you say you did, I you're lying

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Vertigo and Elevation were huge hits. They've not come close since.

They need to stop chasing hits and just grow old a bit more gracefully.

Vertigo and Elevation were huge hits. They've not come close since.

They need to stop chasing hits and just grow old a bit more gracefully.

Yeah, were! Did anyone think they would be at the time, on first listen, on a FB stream, which was a live mix with fans and a **** load of reverb added to it?

How do you know it won't be a hit? I don't even know it will be or won't be....

Perhaps we should all wait for a decent listen of it first? Or, more importantly, we should actually use our heads and realise something....

It's not even the single from the album!

Also, growing old gracefully?! What, like snorting someone's ashes and falling out of trees? It's music :D Should Metallica pack it in and stop playing "young men's music" and wearing "young men's clothes?" :D What about "The Boss?" :D Seriously, it's music! They're not doing anything that's disgraceful

If they started rapping, you'd have a point....*

*I assume they haven't on this album

Listen, I loved SOI. But The Miracle was the worst song on it. They're at their worst when they try too hard, for that "hit".

Bono is constantly harping on about finding that hit, and appearing relevant.

He simply doesn't have the power in his voice or body to be the mad little rocker he still thinks he is.

Listen, I loved SOI. But The Miracle was the worst song on it. They're at their worst when they try too hard, for that "hit".

Bono is constantly harping on about finding that hit, and appearing relevant.

He simply doesn't have the power in his voice or body to be the mad little rocker he still thinks he is.

Again, it's not even the single from the album!

If he can deliver songs like The Little Things, with such feeling, soul and emotion then, I'll take that.

I'm 28, he's 57. He wrote a song, The Little Things, that touched me and related to me and the way he sings it and the way the music is crafted and expresses the emotion in relation to the words, just overwhelms me. It connected with what I was going through and helped me speak about it

Or, the sounds at the start of California. Those sounds on the intro allows me to picture a time and place and setting in my mind. A place where for the first time in a long time, I was happy.

Now, that's relevancy! That's job done as far as I'm concerned. Can search for a hit all they want as far as I'm concerned

Just because some people might not get it, doesn't mean some of us don't!

I totally agree with you. I love both those songs. I prefer those far more than the bombast that The Miracle delivered.

I'm not even judging Blackout yet, mainly cos the stream version is so shockingly poor.

I just wish they'd go less after the hit, and be more natural.

Perhaps when they get loose from the shackles of Universal and Live Nation we might then see a more relaxed approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭SoundOfSilence

Why do people still listen to new tracks from U2?!? Brilliant live but their recordings have been sh1t post ATYCLB. This thread seems to be full of 40 year old virgins clinging onto their youth, wearing leather jackets creaming themselves over what is a sh1t song.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I really wish they'd give up on this "trying to write the next big hit" idea and just release whatever they're working on. Zooropa and the Passengers album is some of their most interesting work, wish they'd go back to that again. It's not like they need the money or have anything to prove anymore.

Why do people still listen to new tracks from U2?!? Brilliant live but their recordings have been sh1t post ATYCLB. This thread seems to be full of 40 year old virgins clinging onto their youth, wearing leather jackets creaming themselves over what is a sh1t song.

I'm 28, not a virgin and I don't cream over anything unless she's got a nice arse.

Forget condoms and birth control, a post like the one you just made is the best contraceptive anyone could use

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭jsms88

I like the new song and I liked SOI too. I can appreciate them for what they are.

They're never going to make another Joshua Tree or another Achtung Baby. Accept that and be grateful that they're still out there making music that is better than the vast majority of what is out there these days. They certainly don't need to be doing it for the money or the fame so I'm very glad that they're still doing it at all!

jsms88 wrote: »
    I like the new song and I liked SOI too. I can appreciate them for what they are.

They're never going to make another Joshua Tree or another Achtung Baby. Accept that and be grateful that they're still out there making music that is better than the vast majority of what is out there these days. They certainly don't need to be doing it for the money or the fame so I'm very glad that they're still doing it at all!

This!!

They'd be lynched if they did try and make another JT or AB, by the same people wanting them to make another JT and AB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭SoundOfSilence

Id prefer if they stopped making music as any new tune i hear from them ruins their legacy for me. They're not making music that's better than the vast majority. There's plenty of bands out there making amazing music but you waste your time listening to average music and convince yourself it's good because it's u2.

You're deluded if u think they're not doing it for the fame. Yes they're famous enough but as someone said earlier, bono is constantly trying to write music that's relevant i.e music that sells and keeps them in the public eye. I heard that gimp from the script say the exact same about their new album recently. Ffs it's an embarrassing reason to make music. Do it for the love of it and not for some popularity context. Leave that sh1t to Justin bieber.

Id prefer if they stopped making music as any new tune i hear from them ruins their legacy for me. They're not making music that's better than the vast majority. There's plenty of bands out there making amazing music but you waste your time listening to average music and convince yourself it's good because it's u2.

You're deluded if u think they're not doing it for the fame. Yes they're famous enough but as someone said earlier, bono is constantly trying to write music that's relevant i.e music that sells and keeps them in the public eye. I heard that gimp from the script say the exact same about their new album recently. Ffs it's an embarrassing reason to make music. Do it for the love of it and not for some popularity context. Leave that sh1t to Justin bieber.

The only thing is, you can't say that about The Little Things. That's 100% not written to be popular anyways. That song is incredibly personal going by the lyrics.

From a personal point of view, I make music for the love of it but, also make it on the basis of what sounds good and what turns me on.

Fame will come in time ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Awful attitude to music though. "Ah sure aren't they great?"

As for the highlighted bit, just no.

The annoying thing is that they have so much better in them but they pander to the market.

Awful attitude to music though. "Ah sure aren't they great?"

As for the highlighted bit, just no.

The annoying thing is that they have so much better in them but they pander to the market.

Again, The Little Things is certainly not pandering to the market. I doubt very much if you'll ever hear that on the radio for example.

As for The Blackout...I mean, it's commercial but, maybe that's just the sound they want to go for right now.

The times of Zooropa are gone! This is maybe what they want and who knows, the rest of the album might be along the creative process you're thinking.

I know songs like Volcano from the last album certainly was outside the box

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭tritriagain

Again, The Little Things is certainly not pandering to the market. I doubt very much if you'll ever hear that on the radio for example.

As for The Blackout...I mean, it's commercial but, maybe that's just the sound they want to go for right now.

The times of Zooropa are gone! This is maybe what they want and who knows, the rest of the album might be along the creative process you're thinking.

I know songs like Volcano from the last album certainly was outside the box
    Would love to see them going deeper and darker. Thought some songs on nloth like fez and breathe were quality.

Would love to see them going deeper and darker. Thought some songs on nloth like fez and breathe were quality.

Yeah, I enjoy Breathe tbh.
    Never really got into Fez.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Don't quite get this.

You say it's too generic yet, I bet you think Miami, Moment of Surrender, Fez etc are all too out there. I also bet you turn the radio up in the car when Run To You or Mr. Brightside comes on. Are they not generic?

You either like the song or you don't! Simple as!

You wouldn't be a good gambler if you bet like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    I really wish they'd give up on this "trying to write the next big hit" idea and just release whatever they're working on. Zooropa and the Passengers album is some of their most interesting work, wish they'd go back to that again. It's not like they need the money or have anything to prove anymore.

I agree but I think the days of U2 doing stuff outside of the box are probably over. The last time they tried that to a large extent was NLOTH and they were badly burnt for it. The Blackout does nothing for me. Maybe the album will prove me wrong and it will sound fresh and different but I'm not expecting too much. I don't know, maybe at this stage I shouldn't even expect too much! Maybe give the guitars a break for a few songs, go with a more electronic sound.

Still, at least we can be thankful that they did stretch themselves in the 90s. That run of music from Achtung Baby, Zooropa, Passengers and Pop is glorious to these ears and is something to be cherished. I'm continually hearing new things when I listen to those albums.

I do try to be optimistic so fingers crossed the new album can surprise us!

You wouldn't be a good gambler if you bet like that.

Meaning, you're full of ****e basically...

I don't need a deck of cards to know if I like a song.

Tragic tbh

• Advertisement

I agree but I think the days of U2 doing stuff outside of the box are probably over. The last time they tried that to a large extent was NLOTH and they were badly burnt for it. The Blackout does nothing for me. Maybe the album will prove me wrong and it will sound fresh and different but I'm not expecting too much. I don't know, maybe at this stage I shouldn't even expect too much! Maybe give the guitars a break for a few songs, go with a more electronic sound.

Still, at least we can be thankful that they did stretch themselves in the 90s. That run of music from Achtung Baby, Zooropa, Passengers and Pop is glorious to these ears and is something to be cherished. I'm continually hearing new things when I listen to those albums.

I do try to be optimistic so fingers crossed the new album can surprise us!

Give the guitars a break?
    As in The Edge? The Sound of U2?

Maybe you should go for another band these days

Bit of advice, if you want electronic, go listen to Deadmau5 and stop wasting your time with U2.

Advertisement