Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 Joshua Tree Tour 2017 / 2019 **No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,380 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Meaning, you're full of ****e basically...
    I don't need a deck of cards to know if I like a song.
    Tragic tbh

You cant browbeat someone into liking a song either... yet for some unknown motive that is what you seem to have spent the last few days doing.

People volunteered their opinions of a song. You dont have to agree with their opinions. But they are their opinions.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Give the guitars a break?
    As in The Edge? The Sound of U2?

Maybe you should go for another band these days

Bit of advice, if you want electronic, go listen to Deadmau5 and stop wasting your time with U2.

Touched a nerve did I? If it's all the same to you I won't be taking advice from someone who thinks 'Volcano' was outside the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭weadick

Listened to Blackout a few times now and...it's not bad. The video is terrible alright and it would be much better if they didnt have all those twats jumping up and down the whole time. It's better than The Miracle for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

According to NPR; they are saying that 'The Blackout' is not to be going to become a lead single for SOE. But the only song that is released through official media so far. They have to create another song that will become the official single.

http://www.npr.org/sections/allsongs/2017/08/30/547317173/u2-unveils-new-single-the-blackout-from-its-upcoming-album-songs-of-experience

I did have a look at The Blackout video last night on Facebook. I think that the song should be good but I thought that the sound quality of the video was not great. If the audio version of the song came up on Youtube; I will give that a listen instead of the video.

I will definitely pick up the album whenever it comes out after Wednesday's announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Meaning, you're full of ****e basically...

I don't need a deck of cards to know if I like a song.

Tragic tbh

My arent you an aggressive and mouthy little fellow.
    Like throwing insults do we if people don't agree with us.

I suppose generic wasnt the right word in hindsight to use.
    When I heard the start of the song it sounded promising ,like something off Achtung Baby ,but it doesn't really develop after the first minute .
    Its bog standard.

The band are obviously going through a barren period creatively .
    Songs of Innocence was the longest gap between albums of their career,the group reportedly worked on three separate projects with multiple producers, including an aborted companion to their previous record called Songs of Ascent.
    However, they struggled to complete an album to their satisfaction and continually delayed a release. After working with Danger Mouse for two years, the group collaborated with Flood, Epworth, and Tedder to complete the record.
    Even then ,the primary reason that the album was released when it was ,was the Apple sponsorship deadline,without that the boys would still be meddling.
    Some of the songs on Songs of Innocence are old songs that didn't make the cut on earlier albums.

They are playing it too safe .
    The Blackout reminds me of Get on Your Boots or The Miracle , fast uptempo songs but extremely forgettable.
    Its almost a template at this stage.
    I know songs like Volcano from the last album certainly was outside the box

Is this a joke ,that song is basically a rehash of Vertigo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Give it a rest bclar will ya?

Looking forward to Monday and a proper new song release, hopefully without crowd noise!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭q2xv9rjei4awgb

odyssey06 wrote: »
    You cant browbeat someone into liking a song either... yet for some unknown motive that is what you seem to have spent the last few days doing.

People volunteered their opinions of a song. You dont have to agree with their opinions. But they are their opinions.

I don't care if they like the song or not, I just think the reasons are stupid.

People saying it's not out there enough is a ridiculous reason not to like a song.

People who genuinely don't like it then fair enough. If they find it average, doesn't do it for them, thinks it's plain ****, fair enough.. But, some of the reasons are truly baffling. I haven't even heard it properly to form an opinion on it. No one has.

I like many bands that people find **** but, I don't care. Music is supposed to split opinion. As I say, I just find the idea that people don't like a song because it's not out there enough stupid.

Getting annoyed that a guitar band isn't doing electronic music is the best/worst thing I've ever read/heard

Tbf, I know more about music than you'll ever know so, I'd be wary of who you say that to

f2dh3h.jpg

f2dh3h.jpg

If only you knew.. But, alas

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Tbf, I know more about music than you'll ever know so, I'd be wary of who you say that to

Oh Jesus.

• Advertisement

The Nal wrote: »
    Oh Jesus.

Should have worded it better tbf. Apologies. His patronising last line was what made my mind up to respond like that.

Hold my hands up on that one and take the flak. Apologies again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

I don't care if they like the song or not, I just think the reasons are stupid.

People saying it's not out there enough is a ridiculous reason not to like a song.

People who genuinely don't like it then fair enough. If they find it average, doesn't do it for them, thinks it's plain ****, fair enough.. But, some of the reasons are truly baffling. I haven't even heard it properly to form an opinion on it. No one has.

I like many bands that people find **** but, I don't care. Music is supposed to split opinion. As I say, I just find the idea that people don't like a song because it's not out there enough stupid.

Getting annoyed that a guitar band isn't doing electronic music is the best/worst thing I've ever read/heard

Okay I'll throw you a bone and rephrase my point. I don't mean U2 should abandon the guitar, I would suggest that they forget about going for this kind of generic rock guitar sound which actually goes against everything that they've stood for over the years. There's nothing innovative or inventive about it.

The great thing about U2, and the Edge in particular over the years, is how they reinvented themselves without abandoning the principles that made them such a brilliant creative force. A willingness to not settle for second best, to stretch themselves and not look like plonkers in doing so. Zooropa is a prime example of this, the Edge utilising his guitar to inject freshness and innovation into the band's sound and still making great music.

This doesn't seem to matter to them anymore and the music is suffering as a result.

The fact that you call them a guitar band is laughable. They are, or were, so much more than that. Take off your musical strait jacket and you might even realise this yourself.

Okay I'll throw you a bone and rephrase my point. I don't mean U2 should abandon the guitar, I would suggest that they forget about going for this kind of generic rock guitar sound which actually goes against everything that they've stood for over the years. There's nothing innovative or inventive about it.

The great thing about U2, and the Edge in particular over the years, is how they reinvented themselves without abandoning the principles that made them such a brilliant creative force. A willingness to not settle for second best, to stretch themselves and not look like plonkers in doing so. Zooropa is a prime example of this, the Edge utilising his guitar to inject freshness and innovation into the band's sound and still making great music.

This doesn't seem to matter to them anymore and the music is suffering as a result.

The fact that you call them a guitar band is laughable. They are, or were, so much more than that. Take off your musical strait jacket and you might even realise this yourself.

Good post

But, they are a guitar band. Not in the generic sense. The Edge/The guitar is the sound of that band. Every single pivotal U2 song has a memorable riff or guitar hook. Even New Years Day is memorable because of that bass guitar riff. Take the guitar out of any of those songs and they're not half the songs they are.

I keep coming back to it but, as a big U2 fan, The Little Things is certainly one of the best tracks I've heard them come out with. People may hear the delay and think it's U2 by numbers but, it serves the purpose to highlight the emotion in the lyrics, which are incredibly personal and can hit home with a lot of people. Personally speaking, I think that's great and it's not something I've heard in many a year.

Having said that, the studio version could be bollix :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

Hahahahahaha stop

Just as a matter of interest, what do you think I do?

Are you Bono ?

Are you Bono ?

No but, I do have a tendency to wear black.

Too tall though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭tritriagain

Jaysus your not bressie are ya

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

Just as a matter of interest, what do you think I do?

Sit at home feeling self important and wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭tritriagain

Or would u be Brian Clarke of sky fever maybe.

Christ almighty no.

I'm a musician..
    Music is obviously something I feel passionately about, hence my strong arguments

I have apologised for that post. I'm hungover and the post I was replying too wasn't doing it any favours :D
    Whatever I do with music or no matter what I know in the theory of music and sounds, it means **** all.
    Music is all about feeling and my opinion is neither right nor wrong. Beatles sold 1 billion records but, that means 6 billion others hate them or don't know them :D

I stíl stand by what I originally said though... Disliking a song because it's not out there enough is rubbish

• Advertisement

Bonavox wrote: »
    Sit at home feeling self important and wise?

Unfortunately not my man.

I'm neither important or wise... Do sit at home from time to time, thinking I'm not worth anything though and a piece of **** so you're half right

My arent you an aggressive and mouthy little fellow.
    Like throwing insults do we if people don't agree with us.

I suppose generic wasnt the right word in hindsight to use.
    When I heard the start of the song it sounded promising ,like something off Achtung Baby ,but it doesn't really develop after the first minute .
    Its bog standard.

The band are obviously going through a barren period creatively .
    Songs of Innocence was the longest gap between albums of their career,the group reportedly worked on three separate projects with multiple producers, including an aborted companion to their previous record called Songs of Ascent.
    However, they struggled to complete an album to their satisfaction and continually delayed a release. After working with Danger Mouse for two years, the group collaborated with Flood, Epworth, and Tedder to complete the record.
    Even then ,the primary reason that the album was released when it was ,was the Apple sponsorship deadline,without that the boys would still be meddling.
    Some of the songs on Songs of Innocence are old songs that didn't make the cut on earlier albums.

They are playing it too safe .
    The Blackout reminds me of Get on Your Boots or The Miracle , fast uptempo songs but extremely forgettable.
    Its almost a template at this stage.

Is this a joke ,that song is basically a rehash of Vertigo

Not a joke, it was me mixing things up.

I meant The Troubles, not Volcano. Sorry about that man.

How the **** did I mix them up is another story

Not a joke, it was me mixing things up.

I meant The Troubles, not Volcano. Sorry about that man.

How the **** did I mix them up is another story

The Troubles is the best song on the album ,I was a bit annoyed that they never played it in Dublin at the 3arena .
    I'd liked to have heard Sleep Like a Baby Tonight and California live too ,far better songs that Iris and The Miracle .

I actually prefer the original version of Every Breaking Wave from 2010 too

Another unreleased song North Star is good too

A few more ,Mercy ,this was part of the HTDAAB sessions

Winter ,originally planned to be included on No Line on the Horizon

An oldie this one ,The Lady With the Spinning Head from the Achtung Baby Sessions.
    It was split up to form "Zoo Station," "The Fly" and "Ultraviolet" ,brilliant song.
    Never played live ,would be insane !

The Troubles is the best song on the album ,I was a bit annoyed that they never played it in Dublin at the 3arena .
    I'd liked to have heard Sleep Like a Baby Tonight and California live too ,far better songs that Iris and The Miracle .

I actually prefer the original version of Every Breaking Wave from 2010 too

Another unreleased song North Star is good too

A few more ,Mercy ,this was part of the HTDAAB sessions

Winter ,originally planned to be included on No Line on the Horizon

An oldie this one ,The Lady With the Spinning Head from the Achtung Baby Sessions.
    It was split up to form "Zoo Station," "The Fly" and "Ultraviolet" ,brilliant song.
    Never played live ,would be insane !

Chances of Lady getting played live is practically zero tbh. More chance of Acrobat.

North Star had/has the potential of being another Stay but, can't see it happening now.

Agree with California...I think that was a missed opportunity as a single. It's mainstream but, it has a certain uniqueness to me that gives it an extra "push" over other singles from that year

You're Best Thing About Me

New Single.

It's different to my ears. Guitar reminds me of The Stones for some reason

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbGSiJ9iat8&feature=youtu.be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

I really like it, in the neverending search for another radio U2 hit sorta way. Cool little lyric video too.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭mrk75

Yeah, pretty good. A lot more happening there than in "The Blackout" and a better lyric too. Could be a grower....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

On my third listen and I really like it. Bono sounds great. Love the breakdown with just the guitar and drums. I'm getting a 70's vibe off this for some reason?

Might prefer this to the Blackout.

I like it as a single.

I love The Little Things, I now think Blackout is good and very Black Keys and this...Well, it's certainly commercial enough.
    For a single, it's got some of the U2 signature sound on it, catchy, radio friendly but, it's a bit different for them.

There are some lyrics in those three songs that makes one thing the inevitable is around the corner....

I hope not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭mrk75

Like that bridge before the last chorus. Seems to be Edge perhaps singing that bit "I can see what you can't see - I can see you love her loudly" before Bono comes in with the final chorus. Nice touch if it is.

Advertisement