Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 Joshua Tree Tour 2017 / 2019 **No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Are people finding renewing your subscription being a past member is getting you a Wednesday presale option...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

Are people finding renewing your subscription being a past member is getting you a Wednesday presale option...

No. I got the Thursday presale when I renewed mine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

It will put you in the wires group (Thursday)

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

Awful time of year for tickets to go on sale but sure a couple of U2 tickets are worth it....I'll be fairly sick of instant noodles by the time payday roles round!!

I've a Thursday code....reckon there's not a chance I'll get a standing ticket. Still, at least it feels like I potentially have 2 chances of getting my paws on a couple of tickets. I'll be heartbroken if I don't but hopefully there will be a 2nd date announced soon.

giddybootz wrote: »
    Awful time of year for tickets to go on sale but sure a couple of U2 tickets are worth it....I'll be fairly sick of instant noodles by the time payday roles round!!

I've a Thursday code....reckon there's not a chance I'll get a standing ticket. Still, at least it feels like I potentially have 2 chances of getting my paws on a couple of tickets. I'll be heartbroken if I don't but hopefully there will be a 2nd date announced soon.

As much chance as you would have on the wednesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

They should do a free one at this stage....... now to decide beans or toast for a few week or subscribe....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭MML

They should do a free one at this stage.......

I'd love to see them do one-offs here and there, just for the hell of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

Oh do they split the allocation? I thought it might just be if any were left!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

A lot people getting swept away/ripped off with this marketing pre sale membership hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Is there a separate allocation for Thursday or is it whats left over from Wednesday ?
    I can't remember what the setup was for the last few tours ,I think it was the same allocation across all presales.
    A lot people getting swept away/ripped off with this marketing pre sale membership hype.

On the main Ticketmaster.com front page there is a huge ad ,saying join U2.com now for presale access.
    They are basically hawking the memberships .
    I never saw them do that on any other tour before .$$$$$

• Advertisement

Is there a separate allocation for Thursday or is it whats left over from Wednesday ?

I was under the impression (as with previous pre-sales) that a seperate allocation is provided for each of the days.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I can't remember what the setup was for the last few tours ,I think it was the same allocation across all presales.

On the main Ticketmaster.com front page there is a huge ad ,saying join U2.com now for presale access.
    They are basically hawking the memberships .
    I never saw them do that on any other tour before .$$$
    Yep. And they hold back a sh1tload of tickets to "battle touts" (but really to scare people into signing up) and then more tickets go on sale to the general public closer to the date. 
    Its a stadium gig(s). Theres no issue getting a ticket between now and July.

The Nal wrote: »
    Yep. And they hold back a sh1tload of tickets to "battle touts" (but really to scare people into signing up) and then more tickets go on sale to the general public closer to the date. 
    Its a stadium gig(s). Theres no issue getting a ticket between now and July.

Yeah my brother missed out on Coldplay tickets and I told him just to wait til June when everyone has booked holidays / their mates drop out or whatever and need to get rid of tickets. Always loads of tickets for Croke Park floating around the week of gigs!

I hate TM though with their ridiculous processing fees and official touting site. Wish they didn't have the monopoly on ticket sales!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭TOPDAWG2.0

Does anyone know what tickets will be released for the pre-sale? Standing or seated or a mix of both?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭lazer.blue

TOPDAWG2.0 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what tickets will be released for the pre-sale? Standing or seated or a mix of both?

It will be a mixture

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭ITgirl73

Unfair that they are not putting both Friday & Saturday concerts on sale at the same time. Peak summer holiday time at work means that people outside Dublin will find it hard to get Friday off to travel with other staff off. At least if they offered both at same time locals might opt for Friday etc giving everyove a fair chance of getting tickets. Or they could have really marked the 30th anniversary by playing the new stadium in Cork (third concert). That way we would all get a fair chance. I have booked hotel for Saturday in the hope of getting Saturday ticket fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The Nal wrote: »
    Theres no comparison. Sitting down at gigs is crap. Early 40s? So?
    I usually go for seats, for this gig I would want standing as even the best seats are poor. Many are appalled at the idea of seats "I'm not an old granny" or similar, I know a few who have changed to prefer seating over the years.

A big downside to seats is if other friends want to go they would not be in the same place.

Also depends a lot on the act and venue, many short people would not like standing.

SteM wrote: »
    My guess is they'll sell a large chunk of the ticket on presale, then when the first show sells out in minutes after general sale they'll announce a second date. The ****ty thing about doing it this way is that members only get presale access to the first show and not the second show.
    Is that what usually happens? no presale on second gigs? I would have guessed there would be.
    bren2001 wrote: »
    How many do you think go to the presale?
    I would imagine U2 have full control over how many are on presale, and would figure out a number from the amount of subscriptions to the tout/fan site.

There are ads on nova for the gig all day. I always wonder why the hell do U2 squander money on advertising gigs which are 100% sure to sell out. But they mention to go to www.u2.com in the ad, go on there and the big link is "Dates • Tickets • Presales". So obviously they want more sign ups. It would be foolish of them to have forums full of people who paid for the fan club to be saying they did not get the presales -as it would put people off signing up for future years. I expect 95% of people signing up have very little interest in anything else the fan club offers, they might look at a few things just to feel they got some value.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭SteM

rubadub wrote: »
    Is that what usually happens? no presale on second gigs? I would have guessed there would be.

If the second date goes on sale straight away, or within a few hours or the first one selling out then there would be no chance of a presale for the second date.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

SteM wrote: »
    If the second date goes on sale straight away, or within a few hours or the first one selling out then there would be no chance of a presale for the second date.
    I wouldn't be that sure they will add a second date. Usually, if that's likely, they will announce the less desirable day first, get it sold and then add the more desirable day.
    If they were going to do Fri or Sun, I'd say it would be more likely that they would have announced it first, then added the Sat(more desirable to most) once the first day sold out.
    Also, this:
    https://buzz.ie/u2-deny-therell-be-a-second-croker-gig/

I wouldn't be that sure they will add a second date. Usually, if that's likely, they will announce the less desirable day first, get it sold and then add the more desirable day.
    If they were going to do Fri or Sun, I'd say it would be more likely that they would have announced it first, then added the Sat(more desirable to most) once the first day sold out.
    Also, this:

When they did the 360 tours they announced Friday and Saturday and then later announced a Monday so doesn't always work like that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭jimosterberg

Seve OB wrote: »
    I was reminiscing this morning as I played The Joshua Tree in the car, I was only about 11, I had a few compilation records which I had been given as gifts but I had no proper records. I got a Golden Discs voucher for a birthday or Christmas. There was a problem though, Golden Discs were not selling records anymore (or at least very, very few of them). There was this new fandangled thing called a CD. Sure it had been around for a while, but there was a new album on the shelves which was changing the picture for music of the future. It was the first album ever to be released on CD on it's launch day. All other albums were released on Vinyl & Cassette (a what:confused::eek:) and CD's followed. It was the first album ever to sell a million CD's. It was the album which made the CD a household item. Sure it would have happened anyway, but this album was the breakthrough. It was of course the Joshua Tree.

But oh no....... we don't have a CD player. And it wasn't a case of slipping down to Power City to pick a cheap one up. Back then they were big ticket items and my folks weren't exactly flush. Then out of nowhere my Nana and Grandad came along with a new Philips Hi-Fi system for us, with the all important CD player :D Happy days, off to Dun Laoghaire with us to get my very first record, The Joshua Tree on CD. My god how I minded that baby, I must have cleaned it after every single play. It's not been out in a while as she is loaded on my iPod, but I reckon it is probably still in tip top nic.

I had liked U2 for as long as I remember, Pride & Bad, Live Aid, but now listening to this CD I didn't like them anymore, I loved them and I have been a die hard fan ever since. My folks weren't into them and there was no chance of seeing them live. I don't remember Croke Park, but I do remember New Years Eve at the Point, not that I was there, but I still have my Cassette recording from 2fm and the cover from Hot Press. It wasn't until ZOO TV rolled into town that I got to see them live, and I haven't missed a show since.

I lived in Shankill and used to see Bono's house in Bray, my da would point it out, the Martello Tower. Then he moved to Killiney and I would pass his house a lot on the Dart and seen him quite regularily walking on the beach/garden etc as the train whizzed by. Never met him, had a few opportunities alright, but I was always more a fan of the music than the people behind it, so I figure it is best left that way.

My 7 year old was so excited yesterday when I got home from work telling me that U2 were going to be playing in Dublin in July, 9 days after she turns 8! She remembers me heading off to the last concerts in the Point and when I went to London to see them. She likes a few of their songs, loves Every Breaking Wave and One, all through me playing it in the car of course and thinks some of the older stuff is just alright :eek:.

I'm going to go for standing, the only way to go to a gig.

But to be honest, I think I will try and get a cheap seat for the second show (although I reckon it will be the first on the Friday night) and bring the young one. I won't tell her, just give her the ticket for her birthday pressie, so I better get her listening to the Joshua tree on a loop :D

Really enjoyed reading this. While a great song is still a great song and a great album still a great album, there's no doubt being able to listen to or download anything with one click has changed things.

I remember my uncle being the only one I knew with enough money to own a cd player. Terrible taste in music he had too, Bryan Adams and Shakespeare's sister cds. Thankfully someone bought him some Prince and I could test out cds for the first time!

Also, this:

I noticed that myself ,they have only announced Saturday nights for the weekend European gigs ,which is unusual .

They are playing in Barcelona the Tuesday before hand so if they announce a second gig there that would mean they wouldnt play the Friday in Dublin as there is no chance of them playing 4 gigs in 5 nights.

Likewise they are playing Paris the Tuesday afterwards so the Sunday night would be unlikely as that would mean 3 gigs in 4 nights not to mind the logistics of getting the stage to Paris on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭ITgirl73

Atu2 just confirmed additional shows will not have pre sales. Additional shows may be added as first show sells out

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It makes sense to do that for gigs which may not sell well, but this is sure to sell out. But by using my own logic I wonder why they would not have both dates sold at the same time, if there are to be 2. Maybe they do like the old headlines saying "sold out in minutes".
    pretty dodgy in fairness.
    U2 deny there’ll be a second Croker gig
    really?!? Bono said it? Edge?, all of them?
    However, insiders have rubbished these rumours, adding: “Absolutely no way. This is a one-off concert.”
    "Insiders", Did they come up with a nickname for Clayton?

They quote Clayton with no hint of any amount of gigs.

They don't even appear to know there were 2 gigs in 87
    marking 30 years since the band’s Joshua Tree concert in Croke Park — one of the stadium’s most iconic gigs.

Looking at the schedule for Europe and allowing for a 2 day on 2 day off schedule ,London ,Dublin and Amsterdam look most likely to get a second night but the rest will only be one night I'd say.
    Berlin could get an extra gig if the extra night in London is the Friday instead of the Sunday .

The extra night in Dublin would most likely be the Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

rubadub wrote: »
    It makes sense to do that for gigs which may not sell well, but this is sure to sell out. But by using my own logic I wonder why they would not have both dates sold at the same time, if there are to be 2. Maybe they do like the old headlines saying "sold out in minutes".

It's very similar to Coldplay where everyone expected a second gig that never came. Huge band with huge following playing a summer Saturday in Croke Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Ticketless entry for standing again this time ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Wooderson wrote: »
    Ticketless entry for standing again this time ?

I very much doubt it, especially when they're allowing 8 per person - a stupid decision imo..
    Imagine trying to corral a group of 8 to enter with the card holder..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭SteM

It's very similar to Coldplay where everyone expected a second gig that never came. Huge band with huge following playing a summer Saturday in Croke Park.

That might be down to u2 having 2 nights provisionally booked though. Only 3 shows per summer at croker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭v10

I'm considering the Rome IT Olympic Stadium Venue for U2 .. Any idea what website sells the tickets for this venue, doesn't seem to be operated by Ticketmaster.

Advertisement