Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 Joshua Tree Tour 2017 / 2019 **No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

giphy.webp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭q2xv9rjei4awgb

The Nal wrote: »
    giphy.webp

Well yeah...

About time they copied after years of Coldplay copying them

Prefer Blackout tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

That is a really good single. I liked it a lot.

I would like hear more of the album when it comes out for release.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Leaving aside the debate from a few posts ago about them trying something different, I have to say that song is utter drivel. It pains me to say this, it really does. They have been responsible for some of the greatest music ever recorded but they have been treading water for some time now.

There's nothing inspirational in there. It's music by numbers. One of the great things about U2 over the years was that when they released music you knew only they could have come up with it. They didn't even write songs in the 'traditional' way. Any amount of music by numbers bands could have written this and I'm not even going to mention the C word.

I don't like knocking music in general and especially not by U2. And it seems quite a few people in here like it so more power to you if you do. But I'll pass on this one.

• Advertisement

Leaving aside the debate from a few posts ago about them trying something different, I have to say that song is utter drivel. It pains me to say this, it really does. They have been responsible for some of the greatest music ever recorded but they have been treading water for some time now.

There's nothing inspirational in there. It's music by numbers. One of the great things about U2 over the years was that when they released music you knew only they could have come up with it. They didn't even write songs in the 'traditional' way. Any amount of music by numbers bands could have written this and I'm not even going to mention the C word.

I don't like knocking music in general and especially not by U2. And it seems quite a few people in here like it so more power to you if you do. But I'll pass on this one.

I like it as a single. It's a harmful love song. I've heard a lot worse. It's got a "happy, **** you" vibe to the horrible current climate we live in imo

I'm not even sure what you're really looking for tbh.
    Do you want another Achtung Baby?
    Blackout is a good song and has some great rhythm patterns and bass lines in it, the use of syncopation is good.. But, you shot that down..

Name a song or style you like that you would want U2 to do. Best way of getting an idea

If you're looking for experimental music then, maybe look outside the mainstream? I haven't heard the album obviously and maybe there are tracks on there that would be to your liking but, in the Grand scheme of things, it's not where U2 are at the moment.

NLOTH was some what different but, it was panned.
    Zooropa was an experimental album for U2 but, is this any better or worse than Babyface?

Personally, I enjoy it. Not their best single or song obviously but, I enjoy it and to me, that's what music is about. Something that either touches you emotionally or changes your mood or makes you reflect or that you just plain out right enjoy.

You said recently they should give the guitar a break and then there are other fans criticising this song because The Edge's guitar isn't all over it... Speaking from experience, sometimes it just doesn't suit the song

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭kennyu272

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭aristotle25

Guitar reminds me of The Stones for some reason

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbGSiJ9iat8&feature=youtu.be

Strange, first thing i thought as well. Not sure what stones songs though.

Strange, first thing i thought as well. Not sure what stones songs though.

Them all? :D
    Love The Stones I do, bloody love 'em

What ya make of the song?

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭aristotle25

Them all? :D
    Love The Stones I do, bloody love 'em

What ya make of the song?

Not their greatest but I like it. Nice tempo and guitar.

Not sure it's something I will listen back to in years to come but it still bodes well for the album.

• Advertisement

Not their greatest but I like it. Nice tempo and guitar.

Not sure it's something I will listen back to in years to come but it still bodes well for the album.

Very true that.
    3 songs from the album and they're all different. That's whats getting me hyped for the album.

I am a fan of some bands who release the first single and it sounds nothing like the rest of the album. It's a weird one

Interesting article about it here
    http://forum.atu2.com/index.php/topic,32212.0.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

I like it as a single. It's a harmful love song. I've heard a lot worse. It's got a "happy, **** you" vibe to the horrible current climate we live in imo

I'm not even sure what you're really looking for tbh.
    Do you want another Achtung Baby?
    Blackout is a good song and has some great rhythm patterns and bass lines in it, the use of syncopation is good.. But, you shot that down..

Name a song or style you like that you would want U2 to do. Best way of getting an idea

If you're looking for experimental music then, maybe look outside the mainstream? I haven't heard the album obviously and maybe there are tracks on there that would be to your liking but, in the Grand scheme of things, it's not where U2 are at the moment.

NLOTH was some what different but, it was panned.
    Zooropa was an experimental album for U2 but, is this any better or worse than Babyface?

Personally, I enjoy it. Not their best single or song obviously but, I enjoy it and to me, that's what music is about. Something that either touches you emotionally or changes your mood or makes you reflect or that you just plain out right enjoy.

You said recently they should give the guitar a break and then there are other fans criticising this song because The Edge's guitar isn't all over it... Speaking from experience, sometimes it just doesn't suit the song

I'll let you know when I've found it :P

Of course I don't want another Achtung Baby...what would be the point in that? I never said I'm looking for experimental music, just something that's not generic and bog standard which is what this song is.

Seeing as you plucked Babyface out of the hat I think that has so much more going for it. It felt fresh but still retained their DNA and their heart. If you want to talk about Zooropa then give me the title track all day long as it's my favourite U2 song. So much going on in it, great lyrics, and love the way it explodes into life about two thirds of the way through.

But that's nearly 25 years ago now so if this is what U2 are now then I just have to accept it and hope they can still deliver now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I like the new song. Nice guitar and Bono sounds good. Although i listened to Robert Plant's new single immediately after and it blew U2 out of the water.

I'll let you know when I've found it :P

Of course I don't want another Achtung Baby...what would be the point in that? I never said I'm looking for experimental music, just something that's not generic and bog standard which is what this song is.

Seeing as you plucked Babyface out of the hat I think that has so much more going for it. It felt fresh but still retained their DNA and their heart. If you want to talk about Zooropa then give me the title track all day long as it's my favourite U2 song. So much going on in it, great lyrics, and love the way it explodes into life about two thirds of the way through.

But that's nearly 25 years ago now so if this is what U2 are now then I just have to accept it and hope they can still deliver now and then.

Zooropa is a great track and a great album imo.

I know where you're coming from but, in terms of a hit single, this sounds like one. Especially when you consider Ed Sheeran is where it's at now in terms of the charts, this is as good as anything out there in terms of that

There are certain aspects of this song I enjoy. I like the verses, the guitar on the verses and the breakdown after the 2nd chorus. It's certainly not Stay or Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses but, it's enjoyable all the same. From my perspective, it's not causing me offense so I'll take that :D

The only thing I can say to you about the album is, we've heard 3 songs now and none of them sound alike. To me, that's a positive.
    Also read somewhere else that a guy heard the album and this is apparently the poppiest, most radio friendly song on the album so who knows :confused:

@thegreengoblin

I saw this post elsewhere and thought it was quite an interesting and different perspective...
    The Best Thing Is New Musical Territory For U2

Statements about this being a formulaic U2 pop song are from people unaware of the U2 discography.

To the musically inclined, you will notice that from the verse to the chorus, there is a key change. I don't think U2 has ever done a single with this formula. There might be some songs where the bridge changes keys but never the verse to chorus on a consistent basis. Again, this is new territory for U2.

Over the years, Mullen has changed his style as a drummer in the live setting to incorporate more 16-beats or flourishes with extra snare hits in between beats. But Mullen does the musically unpredictable thing by when the chooses to enter and exit the song. It almost seems like he is off-beat or coming in too early or late but that is by design. People who thing that is just bad mixing don't understand the process of the band. That is Mullen drumming virtually live and not some chop-chop of different recording sessions. This song highlights Mullen's evolution and his determination to take risks.

Clayton has also changed his bass style massively in the past decade or so. Even with the old U2 hits, Clayton plays them with more transitional notes, extra notes, and some flourishes/embellishments. He has already distanced himself as the guy with the "easiest job in the world" in playing those notes to With Or Without You. Even when he plays that song, it is not repetitive and his style and octave changes towards the end. This new version of Clayton is quite evident in the song.

Where is The Edge? What happened to the massive delays, reverbs, and echoes of economical, ringing, textured notes? Where is The Edge from the 80's who briefly resurrected that quintessential Edge sound in the riff to Beautiful Day? Or where is the industrial Edge sound of the Zoo TV era? The Edge has always been about finding the right guitar sound appropriate for the song and over the years his sound has evolved. He probably has an unwritten rule not to repeat the same effects in new songs. Since he is so vital to the U2 sound, he can never do right for the militant U2 fans. If it's a new sound, it's not good enough to the standards of the past and if it's a past sound then there is nothing musically new. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Bono has always disliked his singing in the 1987 Joshua Tree Tour. It probably has to do with his screaming every lyric. If there is something the militant U2 fans don't understand, it's that the "tone" of Bono's voice is vastly different from 1987 to 2017 but tone is not the same as singing. His voice isn't as powerful or rich as 1987 but he has been touring stadiums singing rock songs for 30 years -no one else can lay claim to that. His singing (again, not his tone or vocal range) has improved. He modulates his voice better, his phrasing is better, and he pronounces the lyrics better. He is already pushing 60 years old, and he is pretty darn good for a rockstar his age with his vocal mileage. The Best Thing highlights his singing, as it even starts with just his voice - which U2 have never done before.

Lyrically, it may seem like a throwaway song for some but it should be read in the context of Songs of Experience. This is the Yang to the Yin that was "Song For Someone." When it was in the innocence stage, Bono is talking about his struggle to win Ali and there are references to physical aspects (you got a face not spoiled by beauty). Now with the experience and he is writing a letter to Ali, she is now a part of him. It talks about the bond they have. It is the realization of Song For Someone. After all, these albums are based on themes to follow and not just U2 writing following a formula.

"You're The Best Thing About Me" is U2 using a new arrangement style, a new chord pattern, Mullen drumming in a new way, Clayton continuing his evolution, The Edge not doing the predictable guitar sounds, and Bono starting off a U2 song with just his voice. This is clearly U2 taking risks and trying something new. You have the give them props for it.

"U2 taking risks". :eek::D Jumpin' Jesus on the cross. Would go in the "no" pile at Island if they weren't U2 Inc.

In the last 25 years, apart from Pop and a couple of tunes aside, the best thing any of them have done is the Mission Impossible theme.

Should've stayed with Rick Rubin as opposed dumping him for Brian Coldplay Eno.

"Rubin wants to take us in a new direction"

"Hmm thats a bit of a risk"

"You hear Coldplays new album?"

"Yeah"

"Eno produced that"

"OK lets get him in again, did well in the US market".

From one of the great all time bands to Coldplay knock offs.

*sigh*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

I think it's time you stopped checking in on new U2 The Nal :pac: It's like you're trapped in an abusive marriage. There's lots of other bands out there dude, and even loads of pre-POP U2 to enjoy!

I can imagine The Nal coming home to his missus in the evenings from work....

"Evening dear.. Dinner is just in the oven, how was your day?"
    "(Sits staring out the window in silence) .................."
    "It's that band U2 again, isn't it?"
    "............"
    " Darling..."
    "I JUST DON'T GET IT!!! 25 YEARS AND ONLY A HANDFUL OF SONGS I LIKE!"

I'm more like this guy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

In the last 25 years, apart from Pop and a couple of tunes aside, the best thing any of them have done is the Mission Impossible theme.

Ahem ...

Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
    Electrical Storm
    Stuck in a Moment
    Kite
    Walk On
    When I Look at the World
    Miracle Drug
    Sometimes You Cant Make it on Your Own
    Yahweh
    Fast Cars
    Magnificent
    Unknown Caller
    The Troubles
    Sleep Like a Baby Tonight

Poster on the Nals wall

5782da7eccfd710550e1cf725634753234470fe846b40222eaceb822c0dd98b5_large

Ahem ...

Sorry I meant 20 years. Zooropa falls within 25 years.

Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me - N/A
    Electrical Storm - Shíte
    Stuck in a Moment - Soppy shíte
    Kite - Should be called "shíte" instead
    Walk On - Rubbish
    When I Look at the World - Nonsense
    Miracle Drug - Crap
    Sometimes You Cant Make it on Your Own - Toilet
    Yahweh - Bin
    Fast Cars - Dreadful
    Magnificent - Shíte
    Unknown Caller - Awful
    The Troubles - The pits
    Sleep Like a Baby Tonight - An embarrassment

Sorry I meant 20 years. Zooropa falls within 25 years.

Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me - N/A
    Electrical Storm - Shíte
    Stuck in a Moment - Soppy shíte
    Kite - Should be called "shíte" instead
    Walk On - Rubbish
    When I Look at the World - Nonsense
    Miracle Drug - Crap
    Sometimes You Cant Make it on Your Own - Toilet
    Yahweh - Bin
    Fast Cars - Dreadful
    Magnificent - Shíte
    Unknown Caller - Awful
    The Troubles - The pits
    Sleep Like a Baby Tonight - An embarrassment

Mask is slipping pal :D

Hold Me Thrill Me aside all of those songs get skipped if they come on

• Registered Users Posts: 38,402 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Not sure will I go too see them live on the SOE tour. Tickets are just too expensive

It was a novelty seeing them for the first time in 2015 and than I loved hearing the Joshua Tree album in full and A few other songs like One dis year. My u2 quota has been reached

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Mask is slipping pal :D

Miracle Drug is an amazing song. Love Walk on also. Stuck in a Moment is a good one too.

I prefer that version ,its growing on me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

The song is growing on me I have to say. It will sound great live with its upbeat tempo.

The recorded version does sound like 3 different tracks sandwiched together though..

I think I prefer it to The Blackout but it's not as good as The Little Things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭mrk75

Veloce wrote: »
    The song is growing on me I have to say. It will sound great live with its upbeat tempo.

The recorded version does sound like 3 different tracks sandwiched together though..

I think I prefer it to The Blackout but it's not as good as The Little Things.
    They did it live last night on Jimmy Fallon's show. Sounded really good, I thought:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG2Qf-DIofk

Advertisement