Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 Joshua Tree Tour 2017 / 2019 **No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Croke-park-pic.jpg

Taken from Bruce, but it's the same at most gigs, that big white space at the back. Maybe by splitting the pitch in 2 they can halve that white space?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,402 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

AFAIK the E186 tickets are only Sections 302-309 & 335-328 and the E110 ones are the sections that lead up to the davin stand (E76 section)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Croke-park-pic.jpg

Taken from Bruce, but it's the same at most gigs, that big white space at the back. Maybe by splitting the pitch in 2 they can halve that white space?
    There was a tide of people leaving the seats and moving to the pitch due to the sound being so sh1t in the stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭starWave

I'm no concert promoter, but I think all stadiums have a max capacity for fire and safety regulations. A stadium is built so that x amount of people can exit safely in the event of an emergency or even a regular exit. If you had x plus 5000, the whole thing could block up.

The capacity on the pitch is basically the capacity of the hill, plus what other seats are empty in the stadium. A lot of seats aren't sold as they have no view, so this capacity is on the pitch.

That white space is at every stadium concert. I'm sure if they could fill it up they would. Filling it up would be terrible for crowd control. People need somewhere to go, when an incident occurs e.g. a crush or a small fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

starWave wrote: »
    ..Filling it up would be terrible for crowd control. People need somewhere to go, when an incident occurs e.g. a crush or a small fire.

or when bono starts sqawking about africa and poor people...

• Advertisement

or when bono starts sqawking about africa and poor people...

sounds like it will be a rant on Trump and Brexit this time. if only he would just sing the bloody songs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭q2xv9rjei4awgb

sounds like it will be a rant on Trump and Brexit this time. if only he would just sing the bloody songs.

Didn't go on any rant during the last tour.

First time since.....Well, the early days

http://www.sportsfile.com/id/181526/

heres a pic from the 2005 Vertigo tour where they seemed to built the stage onto Hill 16 so almost all sections of the stands could be used

maybe the JT tour stage will be similar (seating chart suggests a bit of the stage could be built on hill 16 ??)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

pack em in like sardines like the good old days!

Christ, them regulations were definitely not adhered to for the Slane gigs in 01!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

PTH2009 wrote: »
    http://www.sportsfile.com/id/181526/

heres a pic from the 2005 Vertigo tour where they seemed to built the stage onto Hill 16 so almost all sections of the stands could be used

maybe the JT tour stage will be similar (seating chart suggests a bit of the stage could be built on hill 16 ??)

I hope not ,that was an idiotic idea putting the stage up on Hill 16.
    The stage was way too high for people standing,I was in the pit and had a pain in my neck from looking up at the band .

• Advertisement

It is a crowd safety thing, but it doesn't add capacity. It allows people to get in and out faster, and avoids the wristband lottery on the day. Less hassle for the organisers. Pitch 1 has its own entrance and facilities and Pitch 2 has its own entrance and facilities. Its not really half way either, Its only a diagram, but it looks around the same size as a pit would be.

I don't know why people are complaining about them being the same price. There would be more complaints if there was a gold circle, and it was jacked up to twice the price.
    As I've said numerous times, I don't think there should be an extortionate 'pit access' price but if you're going to sell tickets objectively worse than the other pitch tickets it should be reflected in the price. A modest reduction in the ticket price would be fair.

sounds like it will be a rant on Trump and Brexit this time.  if only he would just sing the bloody songs.

Didn't go on any rant during the last tour.

First time since.....Well, the early days
    *cough*

When Oasis played in Cork back in the day there was a barrier going right across the pitch splitting it in two. Wasn't aware of this heading into the gig though
    I've seen these set ups at large outdoor gigs before but which section you were in entirely depended on when you showed up, all tickets were sold the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I don't know why people are complaining about them being the same price. .
    If you read the original posts it was not really outright complaining, people are simply wondering why there is no difference, saying its odd why the pitch is treated differently to the seats. Some think a bit of a difference (nobody said/wanted twice) would make logical sense, and be more fair. The exact same reasonable logic as the seating pricing. You appear to be the only poster who cannot get your head around this.
    There would be more complaints if there was a gold circle, and it was jacked up to twice the price.
    There is a gold circle, in this case called the red zone, and though tickets are over 4 times the price, at €315, there has not been a lot of complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭weadick

The Nal wrote: »
    There was a tide of people leaving the seats and moving to the pitch due to the sound being so sh1t in the stands.

Surprised they were allowed do that.

As I've said numerous times, I don't think there should be an extortionate 'pit access' price but if you're going to sell tickets objectively worse than the other pitch tickets it should be reflected in the price. A modest reduction in the ticket price would be fair.

Concert promoters don't do reductions, they do increases. You could say that the closer section is objectively better. The 10th row of the stand is objectively worse than the 5th row, but there is no price distinction for each row. Do you think every row in the stadium should be objectively priced?

Its only your perception that pitch 2 is better because its closer and easier to see the stage, but actually the sound will be better in pitch 1 than half of pitch 2. If you're close up and to the side, you get interference from the left and right speaker stacks. Sometimes you can't see the visuals if you're close to the stage e.g. 360 tour.

And I've already paid more than the standard pitch ticket, if you include the fan club cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭martin101

Where people who went through the Ticketmaster today asked to go through the verified by visa bit? I just realised I'm locked out of my one and can't remember the password.

• Site Banned Posts: 880 ✭✭✭whiteshorts

You're a steward getting probably €10 an hour and 50 angry(ish) people start moving towards you in a menacing way, think it's time to take a toilet break.
    Probably easier to allow them instead of having to listen to the Joe Duffy show.

I've been thinking, and maybe it's a way to get more people on the pitch.

There might be some sort of safety requirement wherein if you add another safety barrier half way you can increase the capacity. This would add to the speculation that there wouldn't be a second gig.

We never get a 'proper' show in Dublin. Whether its the stage not suiting the stadium (360), the residence insisting the concert starts at 8pm when its still bright and finishing at 10pm on the dot (every year) or ****e sound (every year) we always get shafted to some degree when concerts are at Croker. I know there's a sentimental aspect to it but thats mainly bull tbh.

It could be a health and safety issue due to the larger area of the pitch but the fact they normally have a pit splits the crowd anyway and stops congestion.

They never fill the pitch area in Croke Park ,its often only 2/3 full for safety reasons ,even the pit is usually sparse .

I remember Zoo Tv in Cork ,we were packed in line sardines in the pit and you could be swept 10 feet forward and back in waves .
    Those days are long gone.

ZooTV Cork was meant to be a great gig? I knew ppl that got in without paying after the gig started, the guards just let em in free!

I know a guy who was front row and he said Adams bass was unreal, whatever he had going on with it, it nearly blew ppls heads off!

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    If you read the original posts it was not really outright complaining, people are simply wondering why there is no difference, saying its odd why the pitch is treated differently to the seats. Some think a bit of a difference (nobody said/wanted twice) would make logical sense, and be more fair. The exact same reasonable logic as the seating pricing. You appear to be the only poster who cannot get your head around this.

There is a gold circle, in this case called the red zone, and though tickets are over 4 times the price, at €315, there has not been a lot of complaints.

I can't get my head around why people are wondering so much. I'm only trying to explain the logic. The logic of crowd control, and logistics on the day.

Plus there's perception that Pitch 2 is better, but I bet the sound is better in Pitch 1 than at the side of Pitch 2.

Red zone is not really a gold circle in the traditional sense. For the last few tours, the red zone was worse than general admission, but with outrageous prices. Nobody would complain because its not a desirable place to view the concert from, only that you feel good for funding that Red campaign.

weadick wrote: »

Only after the complained about it. There was a huge queue of people during the gig at the TM tent giving out about the sound so they got moved. The pit was dangerously full on night 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,991 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

martin101 wrote: »
    Where people who went through the Ticketmaster today asked to go through the verified by visa bit? I just realised I'm locked out of my one and can't remember the password.

I'm pretty sure you can reset that simply enough

Concert promoters don't do reductions, they do increases. You could say that the closer section is objectively better. The 10th row of the stand is objectively worse than the 5th row, but there is no price distinction for each row. Do you think every row in the stadium should be objectively priced?

Its only your perception that pitch 2 is better because its closer and easier to see the stage, but actually the sound will be better in pitch 1 than half of pitch 2. If you're close up and to the side, you get interference from the left and right speaker stacks. Sometimes you can't see the visuals if you're close to the stage e.g. 360 tour.

The seats are priced in sections relative to their distance from the stage. It follows that if subdividing the pitch tickets that the pricing would follow the same logic. What about this concept do you not grasp?
    And I've already paid more than the standard pitch ticket, if you include the fan club cost.

That's nice, but that was your choice to do so. You get early access to ticket sales/less competition but you're not automatically entitled to better tickets. As with all presales a proportion of all the different ticket tiers are available in the various presales, and the rest are available in the general sale (bar those kept back by the promoter :rolleyes:). It's not the case that people with presale access get to take all the good tickets and all the non-paying public sale people fight for the leftovers.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Davin Stand Lower from €325 :woot:

The seats are priced in sections relative to their distance from the stage. It follows that if subdividing the pitch tickets that the pricing would follow the same logic. What about this concept do you not grasp?

Its a division for safety and logistics. Its not a division to increase profits or to be fair. Row 10 is further from the stage than row 5, but cost the same price. They probably could have got away with charging over €100 for Pitch 2 tickets, but luckily they didn't.

Its luck of the draw and being early, to get Pitch 2 over Pitch 1 or Row 5 over Row 10. Ticket sales have always been like that. So there is no concept to grasp.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Davin Stand Lower from €325 :woot:

Ted Striker: Surely you can't be serious. :eek:
    Rumack: I am serious... and don't call me Shirley. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭kennyu272

The presale worked without any hitches for me this morning.Got three GA's for Amsterdam and one for Dublin.

• Advertisement

Its a division for safety and logistics. Its not a division to increase profits or to be fair. Row 10 is further from the stage than row 5, but cost the same price. They probably could have got away with charging over €100 for Pitch 2 tickets, but luckily they didn't.

Its luck of the draw and being early, to get Pitch 2 over Pitch 1 or Row 5 over Row 10. Ticket sales have always been like that. So there is no concept to grasp.

Regardless of the reason for it (even though plenty of other Croke Park concerts aren't done this way, and the other U2 concerts in the tour aren't either) it's still disadvantaging anyone who got the pitch 1 tickets instead of pitch 2, and I don't think it's ridiculous to expect that to be reflected in the price. And the difference between row 5 and row 10 of the concert is much smaller than being in the top or bottom half of the pitch.

But you seem to be intent on missing my point and I'm tired of arguing about it so I'll leave it at that!

Advertisement