Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 Joshua Tree Tour 2017 / 2019 **No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Wooderson

The Nal wrote: »
    This is cringing. A Coldplay B Side. Poor Joey is rolling in his grave.

You don't like it, sound. I thought it was -really good- at the shows I saw. Along with 1,000s of others I sand my fcking heart out.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭lambayire

Just got tickets in 702. A little bit side on to the stage but I'm happy.

Loads more tickets seem to be up there now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭mrk75

Wooderson wrote: »
    Yup I saw it in Amsterdam and it was fantastic. 2nd time round in Dublin though, wasn't so good.

I just want this to be a proper gig, a few bells and whistles but rocking out and 80,000+ singing along celebrating a fantastic album and band. The new songs(as much as I loved SOI)went down like a lead balloon live.

Invisible and Song for Someone both fell over, yes. The rest of the newies I really enjoyed.
    Invisible and Crystal Ballroom the best tunes of the last set they released and neither were on the "actual" album.

I thought the album itself was over-produced. I could hardly hear a real drum or real bass guitar it seemed to auto-tuned to within an inch of its life.

That said, there were some good songs in there. It took the "unplugged" set on the bonus disc to really reveal them as such. That should have been the album rather than getting in the ****-hot producers du jour to try and make them chart-friendly. Who gives a sh*t anymore about the charts...?!

The Miracle, and Invisible, are very very dog average songs. I really hope neither get played live again.

Edge on that HMTHKMKM Santiago video I posted. How good would that have sounded on the i+e PA? WOW.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

And heres the one they ripped of from The Killers. If Zeppelin got sued by Spirit U2 should be sued by The Killers.
    Particularly at 1.12 on the Killers tune and 52 secs on U2s. Same tune. 

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭q2xv9rjei4awgb

Thats because its a terrible album. Sounds like any other radio friendly sh1te act. I was embarrassed for them. Worst album they've ever made, by a mile. Mortifying.
    Didn't go to the last tour granted but from the clips I saw the new stuff looked even worse live. Despite the great visuals, you can't polish a turd.

It was far better than Horizon and October.

mrk75 wrote: »
    Invisible and Crystal Ballroom the best tunes of the last set they released and neither were on the "actual" album.

I thought the album itself was over-produced. I could hardly hear a real drum or real bass guitar it seemed to auto-tuned to within an inch of its life.

That said, there were some good songs in there. It took the "unplugged" set on the bonus disc to really reveal them as such. That should have been the album rather than getting in the ****-hot producers du jour to try and make them chart-friendly. Who gives a sh*t anymore about the charts...?!

"Troubles" on the bonus disc is a chewn. Shouldve persisted with it.

And heres the one they ripped of from The Killers. If Zeppelin got sued by Spirit U2 should be sued by The Killers.

They sound nothing a like.

Clueless

Seve OB wrote: »
    Stuck Rattle & Hum on this morning.  It's pretty much the Joshua Tree album on tour so would be great to have some stuff like Silver & Gold played on this tour, or bring BB back on the big screen to play When Love Comes to Town.  Better still, a gospel choir on stage to sing ISHFWILF
    Yeah, tailor-made for the Dublin Gospel Choir to come in. That would be something special....

That was the thing about the last tour. Fantastic spectacle but very very set in stone. Zero room for randomness or unexpected surprises. Hopefully this tour is more about the music. Just wanna have a party for 2+ hours.

For what it was I -really- enjoyed it however. Was lucky to catch them on a perfect night in Glasgow where they made mincemeat of the place. i+e much better tour / more fun than the 360 shows IMO.
    I'll second that. Glasgow was immense. The set piece stuff for the I&E tunes worked for me but I think they got the balance right. There were hardly any bells and whistles for the first few tunes or from the b-stage section on. Just great tunes.
    It was magic to see them indoors too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Ah The Nal, U2 ripping off the Killers? Come on now! :D EBW is fantastic. The full band version.

Veloce wrote: »
    Question time.

What is your favourite song from the Joshua Tree album?

You can only pick one track.
    Running to a Stand Still. 
    Gig will be worth if for the last 7 or so tunes off the album. In Gods Country too obviously. 
    It what comes before and after the album that worries me.

Edge on that HMTHKMKM Santiago video I posted. How good would that have sounded on the i+e PA? WOW.

It's good but you gotta go with Popmart!

Infact Popmart versions are always the best!

mrk75 wrote: »
    Glasgow was immense.

Belter of a gig mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

To anyone who has purchased a ticket + the U2.com subscription on ticketmaster...

If you buy 2 tickets, are you charged 2 subscription costs?

Cheers in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭lambayire

poundhound wrote: »
    To anyone who has purchased a ticket + the U2.com subscription on ticketmaster...

If you buy 2 tickets, are you charged 2 subscription costs?

Cheers in advance.

No, just the one sub of 50 quid

It's good but you gotta go with Popmart!

Infact Popmart versions are always the best!
    Always yeah. Theres a band testing themselves. 

I guess I'm just disappointed that each album just gets more bland as time goes on. Can't remember the last time I heard a new U2 track and thought it was a bit edgy or interesting or something other than them catering for the masses and trying to be successful. Mofo maybe. 

Nothing to distinguish them from  Coldplay, Snow Patrol, Killers, Keane, Kasbaian, KOL lot now really. Nothing music.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Front rows of 703 available now - excellent seated tickets.

I guess I'm just disappointed that each album just gets more bland as time goes on. Can't remember the last time I heard a new U2 track and thought it was a bit edgy or interesting or something other than them catering for the masses and trying to be successful. Mofo maybe.

Nothing to distinguish them from Coldplay, Snow Patrol, Killers, Keane, Kasbaian, KOL lot now really. Nothing music.

Nothing music?

Seriously.......

If someone likes the music, if someone likes the song, that's all that matters!

Who in their right mind would turn around and say, "Nah, that's crap. I only listen to music when bands test themselves and try to be edgy"
    That's not what music is about.

Granted, U2 were at their best between 1991-1997, when they did expand on their sound but, at the heart of it all, it still sounded like U2.

Plenty of the world's most successful bands, in the last 100 years, have never swayed from their sound or style or tried to be "edgy" and "stick it to the man".

It doesn't mean their music is "nothing"

OK, I'll give you Snow Patrol (Awful tbh) but, Queen? The Rolling Stones? ABBA? Nothing music?
    Not having it tbh

Only one "artist" qualifies as nothing music, and that's Ed "gonna get a taxi and pizza coz like it's the only way to meet her" Sheeran.

Don't worry Ed, your time at the top is ending

You don't like anything theyve recorded in 20 years. Fine.

• Advertisement

Nothing to distinguish them from  Coldplay, Snow Patrol, Killers, Keane, Kasbaian, KOL lot now really. Nothing music.

Nothing music?

Seriously.......

If someone likes the music, if someone likes the song, that's all that matters!

Who in their right mind would turn around and say, "Nah, that's crap. I only listen to music when bands test themselves and try to be edgy"
    That's not what music is about.

Granted, U2 were at their best between 1991-1997, when they did expand on their sound but, at the heart of it all, it still sounded like U2.

Plenty of the world's most successful bands, in the last 100 years, have never swayed from their sound or style or tried to be "edgy" and "stick it to the man".

It doesn't mean their music is "nothing"

OK, I'll give you Snow Patrol (Awful tbh) but, Queen? The Rolling Stones? ABBA? Nothing music?
    Not having it tbh
    Either am I. I didn't mention any of those bands. Apart from Snowplay. 

Would hardly call Bohemian Rhapsody "nothing music". We Will Rock You however is. U2 making music these days similar in its creativity to "I Want It All". Piss break tunes. 

Should've been the name of the album tbh.
    You don't like anything theyve recorded in 20 years. Fine.
    The middle of ATYCLB was decent. Few beauts on there.

Would hardly call Bohemian Rhapsody "nothing music". We Will Rock You however is. U2 making music these days similar in its creativity to "I Want It All". Piss break tunes.

I Want It All a "piss break tune?"

The notes the vocal hits, the guitar solos throughout, the drums and tempo changes.....

What the hell are you talking about?!

Rory Gallagher, the best guitarist that has ever existed....Gonna guess you think he's ****e and a "piss brake" artist because he stuck to the style of music he loved, am I right?

The notes the vocal hits, the guitar solos throughout, the drums and tempo changes.....

Rory Gallagher, the best guitarist that has ever existed....Gonna guess you think he's ****e and a "piss brake" artist because he stuck to the style of music he loved, am I right?
    No.

As for sticking to the style of music, thats the issue with U2. They're not doing that. They've chickened out of doing that in favour of appeasing one gig a decade fans and staying popular on the radio. Very bland. They're one of the Nandos or Starbucks of music.

"Piss Break Tunes" as the name of the album made me laff, I'll grant you that Nal.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,991 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

No.

As for sticking to the style of music, thats the issue with U2. They're not doing that. They've chickened out of doing that in favour of appeasing one gig a decade fans and staying popular on the radio. Very bland. They're one of the Nandos or Starbucks of music.

fine, if you don't like them then don't buy their music and don't go to their shows.

:D he's got a point but he's going to extremes.

There's no doubt U2 got the shock of their lives with the "fail" that was POP. (my fav!) Since then they have played it relatively safe. They are far too self conscious. In their elderly statesman of rock stage, they should just do as THEY please and forget about pleasing the masses.

No.

There's something in that, yeah. Brings me back to something Adam said recently about SoI:
    "Up to now, inclusive of this record, we wanted to make music that could communicate to the most people, that could be played on the radio. We were conscious that we wanted to be relevant to this time. That’s not something that we might always want. We have a very loyal, strong, intelligent audience. We might make music just for them in the future. We might not want to connect with other people."

I think that's encouraging. Maybe that's part of the JT30 tour idea - give the people what they want and stop over-thinking it.

Full link here:

http://grantland.com/features/u2-songs-of-innocence-tour/

U2 couldve rolled out the 2nd half of the JT album's songs without the fanfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

got my ticket yesterday :) pricey at €140 each!

• Advertisement

Never heard those quotes from Adam. Massively promising! Please lord forget the "template" and just go back to Pre ATYCLB creativity.

Advertisement