Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 Joshua Tree Tour 2017 / 2019 **No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

I highly doubt this is the case. They would have known since day one that only one night was available in Croke Park, they would have assumed the demand would exceed this and pushed for a second night in advance of tickets going on sale. The fallout after Garth Brooks was massive and there's no way U2 and management are that naive to book one gig, sell it and THEN worry about a second gig and how to get round the red tape.

The fourth gig in Croke Park won't happen. Simple as. If there's no third act due to play, maybe they'll get their second night but no way will they sell a gig subject to license again and hope to have it cleared up in the meantime.

Will only be one concert going by reports.

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/all-tickets-for-u2-s-croke-park-concert-sold-out-organisers-1.2938567

http://www.hotpress.com/U2/news/U2-ruleout-a-second-Croke-Park-show/19485923.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭xper

I highly doubt this is the case. They would have known since day one that only one night was available in Croke Park, they would have assumed the demand would exceed this and pushed for a second night in advance of tickets going on sale. The fallout after Garth Brooks was massive and there's no way U2 and management are that naive to book one gig, sell it and THEN worry about a second gig and how to get round the red tape.

The fourth gig in Croke Park won't happen. Simple as. If there's no third act due to play, maybe they'll get their second night but no way will they sell a gig subject to license again and hope to have it cleared up in the meantime.
    Have to disagree.

First of all, it is entirely feasible to get a licence to play more than the three automatically allowed concerts per year in Croke Park - the Garth Brooks debacle happened because the eejit insisted on five nights in a row or nothing and the local authority wouldn't go for that. Looking for one extra weekend night that is attached to only one other night is a far more agreeable proposal to the local authority (the objecting residents don't get to decide).

U2 have already managed to get a second gig at Slane when the venue only had permission for one per year and in the face of massive local opposition. And that all happened in a rushed manner after the first gig was announced and sold out. They have clout in 'official' Ireland that no visiting act has. It is maybe not right, but it would act in the favour of those of us wanting a second gig.

It would seem that this whole tour was a bit of a last minute decision partly brought on by the Trump victory. Edge's comments, the Songs of Experience postponement and the fact that the whole thing was announced and went on sale in a couple of weeks after Christmas point to a bit scrambling. So if they did end up with just the third automatically available slot for Croker it is not surprising that the party line right now is "no second night" and will remain the official answer right up until the red tape and logistics are sorted and the second gig is announced and everyone who helped make it happen can paint themselves as heros.

I think a second night is more likely than not right now. I certainly wouldn't bank on a third night happening though.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭mrk75

andrew1977 wrote: »
    poundhound wrote: »
    This is my understanding of the difficulty with U2 announcing another Dublin gig.

There are 3 gigs per year sanctioned in Croke Park.

Coldplay and U2 have two of those slots and apparently Ed Sheeran has the 3rd boxed off, but hasn't announced it yet.

U2 are trying to overcome a lot of "red tape" to get a 4th gig sanctioned, hence the delay.

good luck to them with that considering the drama the garth brooks fiasco turned out.
    At least if they're discussing matters behind the scenes rather than the megaphone "diplomacy" of Mr Brooks, they might get somewhere.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Bit of a risky scenario that, because if you fail to come up with the tickets, Seatwave will charge the credit card you registered with them (during the sell tickets process) the amount for similar tickets, regardless of price.

I think they would charge you the difference in price for replacement tickets.
    But the price should have come down by them due to drops so the difference would be zero ,hence no extra charges.
    Its a risky strategy though as they would probably ban you if you couldnt fulfill the order.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,991 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Bottom line people only go to U2 concert to say they were there, and the instagrams, the kudos, the twitters, the Facebook's etc. Not really about the gig more about saying that you were there. A lot of hype like their original name.

Ah would you go away.

And a bit of feedback for you, "the Hype" was not their original name :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Even if they do announce a 2nd gig - surely it's going to be more of the same though.... high demand, pre-sales, TM and SW.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Mr Velo wrote: »
    Even if they do announce a 2nd gig - surely it's going to be more of the same though.... high demand, pre-sales, TM and SW.

Pretty sure fanclub membership only gets you presale code but I am open to correction

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

I think they would charge you the difference in price for replacement tickets.
    But the price should have come down by them due to drops so the difference would be zero ,hence no extra charges.
    Its a risky strategy though as they would probably ban you if you couldnt fulfill the order.

I'm not sure, if you advertise for say 500 a ticket, selling 2 tickets that's €1000 minus €100 success fee, minus vat you probably walk away with 800+
    but if you do not fulfil and they (seatwave) decide they can replace them (for the prospective buyer) with the 2 tickets that are a grand each (still on the site for sale) then you are gonna be out that 2 grand plus the "success fee" of €200.
    That was my understanding of how they work at seatwave.

Mr Velo wrote: »

Only one set of pre sale codes. Second gig will not mean subscribers get a second code. so there would not be a presale for a second gig, just general sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭iSeano90

Only one set of pre sale codes. Second gig will not mean subscribers get a second code. so there would not be a presale for a second gig, just general sale.

Well, presumably there would be a presale for those that didn't use them in the first one. Thats the way its been done before and for the new shows added today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Med101007

Just wondering what are the chances of getting tickets for the extra shows added in London, Paris, Rome and Amsterdam? I believe these are going on sale next Monday. Are these tickets sold through Ticketmaster?

iSeano90 wrote: »
    Well, presumably there would be a presale for those that didn't use them in the first one. Thats the way its been done before and for the new shows added today.

Well if there is a pre sale for newly added shows then I stand corrected.
    I cannot see anyone who had a code not using it but keeping it in the hope of a second show, does not make sense, as in a 2nd show might not even be announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭PissFlapsDory

[/QUOTE]

nearly 1600 comments here and that's one of the most stupid so far :rolleyes:[/quote]

And your point is that you are too stupid to understand? Please enlighten me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,430 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

nearly 1600 comments here and that's one of the most stupid so far :rolleyes:[/quote]

And your point is that you are too stupid to understand? Please enlighten me.[/QUOTE]

Nope, his point was yours was one of the most stupid ......... :D

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭gammy_knees

I've seen U2 5 or 7 times in Ireland and decided I'd see them abroad for once. Also never been to Brussels so I looked it up. Last week I booked a hotel in the middle of Brussels for €50, got return flights from Mickaleen O'Leary for €58. All a bit of a gamble depending how this morning could have went. Went to TM Belgium at 8.40 and joined the queue, got in no problem and got my standing tickets at face value. Went so smoothly. Total cost is probably less than what a fan in Cork/Donegal would pay to see U2 in Dublin plus my flight arrives at 9 that morning and leaves late next day which gives me loads of time to visit our Commissioners in the EU!
    There are options folks if you are stuck.
    As a side note, for the I+E tour in Dublin ,I got a standing ticket on the wednesday for the gig on saturday on TM. Plenty of tickets will come available again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Interestingly when I bought my 8 Pitch2 tickets I was trying to get Pitch1 as I assumed they were up front, but they sold out and only Pitch2 were available and it turns out Pitch2 is up front. Wonder why Pitch1 sold out first? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Easterly Beasterly

xper wrote: »
    Have to disagree.

First of all, it is entirely feasible to get a licence to play more than the three automatically allowed concerts per year in Croke Park - the Garth Brooks debacle happened because the eejit insisted on five nights in a row or nothing and the local authority wouldn't go for that. Looking for one extra weekend night that is attached to only one other night is a far more agreeable proposal to the local authority (the objecting residents don't get to decide).

U2 have already managed to get a second gig at Slane when the venue only had permission for one per year and in the face of massive local opposition. And that all happened in a rushed manner after the first gig was announced and sold out. They have clout in 'official' Ireland that no visiting act has. It is maybe not right, but it would act in the favour of those of us wanting a second gig.

It would seem that this whole tour was a bit of a last minute decision partly brought on by the Trump victory. Edge's comments, the Songs of Experience postponement and the fact that the whole thing was announced and went on sale in a couple of weeks after Christmas point to a bit scrambling. So if they did end up with just the third automatically available slot for Croker it is not surprising that the party line right now is "no second night" and will remain the official answer right up until the red tape and logistics are sorted and the second gig is announced and everyone who helped make it happen can paint themselves as heros.

I think a second night is more likely than not right now. I certainly wouldn't bank on a third night happening though.

I disagree, I know from talking to people in the promotions circle after the Garth Brooks debacle that the GAA particularly won't go over the 3 gigs per year rule after that. They were hurt by it and will not risk a repeat by going over the 3 gigs.

I agree that The U2 gigs were probably booked late and I'd say at that stage there were already 2 concerts for Croker booked so 1 gig for U2 was probably always the maximum they could do, not ideal but they could hardly leave Croke Park out of the tour.

If there was no 3rd act arranged for Croke Park then a 2nd concert for U2 would have been added when the other European cities added extra dates, the fact that this didn't happen points towards another act to be announced.

What I've also said many times on here is that Aiken and MCD always share Croke Park as a venue for concerts so the smart money is on an Aiken artist to be announced soon, likely to be Ed Sheeran and if that's the case there will be NO 2nd U2 date regardless of the "clout" you think they might have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

Matt Cooper on Today FM is going to be talking about ticket touting and no second gig shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭lazer.blue

Matt Cooper on Today FM is going to be talking about ticket touting and no second gig shortly.

Stuart Clarke said he has been told definitely no second Croke Park show where as this morning he was saying he suspected there might be.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Only tuning in, did this come up yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭v10

v10 wrote: »
    nearly 1600 comments here and that's one of the most stupid so far :rolleyes:
    greenspurs wrote: »

Correct :D

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭iSeano90

Well if there is a pre sale for newly added shows then I stand corrected.
    I cannot see anyone who had a code not using it but keeping it in the hope of a second show, does not make sense, as in a 2nd show might not even be announced.

I know a couple of people that got tickets as a group, and they actually do have codes spare! They were planning to use them for second gig, if it happened. Also, many people did say they didn't get tickets with their code / tickets they wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭q2xv9rjei4awgb

Seve OB wrote: »
    as much as I probably would agree with you about Ed, it is a bit disingenuous to say crap like that. he has the following to sell albums and tickets so fair play to him.

"Go get a taxi and a pizza cos it's like the only way to meet her"

If he has the sort of following that buys utter ****e like that, then he's welcome to them.

Paul Simon still breaks out in cold sweats over that lyric

EDIT: You just said you agree with me about him ffs :D

Logged on this morning- 8.55- was put in the "queue". I waited until 9.01- nothing happening. Opened another tab and was able to order straight away. I got two tickets up in the nosebleed section, I think it was row X- towards the very top anyway. I decided to let them go back into the pot as i just wouldn't have been happy going to a concert with such bad views.
    Obviously I didn't get anything else when i tried again. Do I regret not taking them? No, not at all- I would have preferred a good view seat, standing or no ticket at all.
    Best of luck to whoever got mine this morning and I hope you thoroughly enjoy the show :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

Only tuning in, did this come up yet?

It did, didn't last very long. Stuart Clarke of Hot Press said he'd been told by U2 PR that there would be no second gig. Most of the conversation was about Seatwave et al, should they should be banned etc etc.

I've seen U2 5 or 7 times in Ireland and decided I'd see them abroad for once. Also never been to Brussels so I looked it up. Last week I booked a hotel in the middle of Brussels for €50, got return flights from Mickaleen O'Leary for €58. All a bit of a gamble depending how this morning could have went. Went to TM Belgium at 8.40 and joined the queue, got in no problem and got my standing tickets at face value. Went so smoothly. Total cost is probably less than what a fan in Cork/Donegal would pay to see U2 in Dublin plus my flight arrives at 9 that morning and leaves late next day which gives me loads of time to visit our Commissioners in the EU!
    There are options folks if you are stuck.
    As a side note, for the I+E tour in Dublin ,I got a standing ticket on the wednesday for the gig on saturday on TM. Plenty of tickets will come available again.
    There you go. Love to read stuff like this. LovING it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

To be honest,he had a point.I'd be surprised if 30,000 of the crowd even own The Joshua Tree.How many of them will be singing along with 'One Tree Hill'?

greenspurs wrote: »

Correct :D
    So we're the other eejits not correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Ticketmaster seem to measure demand for concerts on their site, once they go up for sale, and start moving them on to their Seatwave touting wing after 15 minutes of sale, once they measure that demand is particularly high. It's a disgusting practice, that someone needs to take action against

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭weadick

To be honest,he had a point.I'd be surprised if 30,000 of the crowd even own The Joshua Tree.How many of them will be singing along with 'One Tree Hill'?

One of the things that annoys me most about Croke Park. For a 'home' gig theres always some amount of people standing there with their arms folded looking bored.

Advertisement