Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 Joshua Tree Tour 2017 / 2019 **No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭JKerova1

SteM wrote: »
    Think there might be a happy medium like not allowing 8 per person on general sale. They're also a big enough group to have some clout with Ticketmaster, if they wanted their tickets banned from being sold on Seatwave (or price restrictions put on the tickets) then I've no doubt that Ticketmaster cave into them.

I think they can do right but they seem to have given up even trying at this point.

It was a nice gesture last year to give extra pre-sale codes to Irish U2.com subscribers, meaning we got first serve for tickets to their Dublin I&E shows regardless of if you had already used your other code or not. Some foreign fans were giving out alot though.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,410 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

i knw this was prob discussed before here (the thread is too large to search through) but i fear for the less know/quite songs off the JT album such as Running To A Stand Still, One Tree Hill, Exit and MOTD live as people will see these as an opportunity too start talking, shouting, go the bar etc. Even when popular quite songs are played at shows people still ****ing start talking and try to ruin it

after falling in love with Gods Country and Trip Through Your Wires. The first 4 songs off the Album are outstanding

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltToUkuI-Ko&list=PL35B440E6B9DA4A34

• Registered Users Posts: 15,991 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

PTH2009 wrote: »
    i knw this was prob discussed before here (the thread is too large to search through) but i fear for the less know/quite songs off the JT album such as Running To A Stand Still, One Tree Hill, Exit and MOTD live as people will see these as an opportunity too start talking, shouting, go the bar etc. Even when popular quite songs are played at shows people still ****ing start talking and try to ruin it

after falling in love with Gods Country and Trip Through Your Wires. The first 4 songs off the Album are outstanding

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltToUkuI-Ko&list=PL35B440E6B9DA4A34

Stand Still has been well played over the years so I would hardly call it less known.

As for people talking..... it's a social event you are going to, people talk. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭secman

Maybe outlets are allocated a certain number of tickets before the online sale and there all printed out before 9am. I imagine it would be very stressful and dangerous for the TM outlet staff members if they had too snap up tickets from the online allocation (imagine having to tell people who qued all night I wasn't fast enough and I got no tickets). I imagine the Garth Brooks/older audience type gig's ticket lines were full of people who don't understand today's ticket allocation systems and they turned quite nasty

I don't think the TM outlet in Waterford city even got an allocation

A certain amount of tickets are ring fenced for the outlets, these are excluded from the general sale tickets.

lambayire wrote: »
    Judging by how I was able to mess around last week on the presale, I'd be surprised if 15,000 tickets went on sale yesterday.

Croke Park season ticket holders also have options on their tickets for a while yet, so those tickets will eventually be released if the options are not taken up.

I get that folk didn't want to take up the $50 U2 membership but if you divide that down by 4 tickets, it's just over a 10 extra to get the tickets.

And it wasn't like the option was hidden. If you clicked on the U2 tickets on Ticketmaster last week, it was there right in front of your nose!!

My family all got sorted this last week and we were happy to do so.

Approx 8, 000 tickets went on general sale yesterday morning, approx 10 % of overall number. But more importantly, the U2 fan club got a high proportion of the tickets in the prem sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,410 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

secman wrote: »
    Approx 8, 000 tickets went on general sale yesterday morning, approx 10 % of overall number. But more importantly, the U2 fan club got a high proportion of the tickets in the prem sale.

yeah remember last weds/thurs whenever i searched for tickets i got offered them. Even searched the cheap tickets and got offered tickets each time. No excuse for people who had an opportunity in the presale to buy tickets but didnt and then missed out in the GS (saw a few people complain on the zootopia fourms who said they missed out in both the presales and general sales)

very happy i didnt wait til the GS to get my ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

Is there a source that confirms 8,000 went on sale? That seems excessively low.

Source for this info?
    yeah remember last weds/thurs whenever i searched for tickets i got offered them. Even searched the cheap tickets and got offered tickets each time. No excuse for people who had an opportunity in the presale to buy tickets but didnt and then missed out in the GS (saw a few people complain on the zootopia fourms who said they missed out in both the presales and general sales)

very happy i didnt wait til the GS to get my ticket

No, the 'excuse' is people who can't or don't want to hand over an extra €50 for a membership they have no interest in shouldn't have to just to get tickets to a gig. People are rightly annoyed that a fan club membership that was originally promoted as an optional product for fans who wanted first pick of tickets, additional content, exclusive gifts etc is now being sold off as essentially nothing more than an additional ticket charge. I highly doubt most people who bought memberships as part of those bundles on TM will ever even log in to U2.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Of whom how many paid 50euro to join the 'fan club' last week.....yep, really looked after the 'fans'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

In case anyone still wants to claim that Ticketmaster are somehow behaving ethically with their seatwave sh!te,

So there you go - Ticketmaster opposes anti-touting legislation. Ergo any BS from them about being ideologically opposed to touting is just that, BS.

Stopped reading once I saw "THE SUN"
    Bonavox wrote: »
    I don't understand the hate to U2 over the ticket issue. They enforced anti-touting measures for I&E and were roasted then too. They can do no right it seems.
    And don't forget the free iTunes album.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭lambayire

You're missing the point. The only reliable way to get tickets shouldn't be to spend an extra €50 on a membership most people have no interest in. We're being taken advantage of. I am glad it worked out for you but I'm a student, only wanted 2 tickets (standing), an extra €50 is quite a significant cost for me. I probably could have stretched my budget to pay for it (and I considered it), but decided against it on principle as much as anything.

You don't need to rationalise your decision to pay the extra €50. It's ok that you did, I probably would have too if I had more money to spare, but you can still recognise that it's ultimately unfair.

it's unfair - no doubt!!

My only reason for rationalising it was that it's U2.
    And the way I had so many options to pick seats in the presale last week, I knew there were going to be precious few tickets yesterday.

No, the 'excuse' is people who can't or don't want to hand over an extra €50 for a membership they have no interest in shouldn't have to just to get tickets to a gig. People are rightly annoyed that a fan club membership that was originally promoted as an optional product for fans who wanted first pick of tickets, additional content, exclusive gifts etc is now being sold off as essentially nothing more than an additional ticket charge. I highly doubt most people who bought memberships as part of those bundles on TM will ever even log in to U2.com.

I think the solution here would be to give presale codes to U2 fan club members who were members before the tour was announced, labelling them as "existing members".

I think the solution here would be to give presale codes to U2 fan club members who were members before the tour was announced, labelling them as "existing members".

They did. They got in on the original presale last Monday or Tuesday.

If just the 8,000 tickets went on sale yesterday, then they must be drip-feeding plenty more tickets ahead of the gig.

They did. They got in on the original presale last Monday or Tuesday.

If just the 8,000 tickets went on sale yesterday, then they must be drip-feeding plenty more tickets ahead of the gig.

But it was possible to sign up after the dates were announced though, right? That's my understanding. Let's say they announced that users who were members on the 1st December 2016 or previously were eligable. That way, those users are guaranteed genuine U2 fans and they're the only ones receiving presale codes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

A ticketless system is the only way to go. Definitely for standing. With a limit of 4 tickets per card, they'd probably still be on sale if that was the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

But it was possible to sign up after the dates were announced though, right? That's my understanding. Let's say they announced that users who were members on the 1st December 2016 or previously were eligable. That way, those users are guaranteed genuine U2 fans and they're the only ones receiving presale codes.

I think if you were a member on or before a certain date in December you got access to the Red Hill group (long time subscribers) which meant you got first access to the presale.

Anyone who signed up after that date right up to the presale got access to the second presale the following day. The problem here is the allocation of tickets - some Red Hill members couldn't get standing tickets on Wednesday but the new subscribers got some on Thursday.

Veloce wrote: »
    I think if you were a member on or before a certain date in December you got access to the Red Hill group (long time subscribers) which meant you got first access to the presale.

Anyone who signed up after that date right up to the presale got access to the second presale the following day. The problem here is the allocation of tickets - some Red Hill members couldn't get standing tickets on Wednesday but the new subscribers got some on Thursday.

Gotcha, wasn't aware of that.

Yes, I'd have no problem with this. I think if it was possible to look at their membership data you'd see there's a small dedicated group of people who sign up and stay members for years, and then there's people who sign up when a tour is announced (or now, on the day if they find good tickets on TM :rolleyes:), and then never or very rarely interact with the U2.com site after that.

The way they were sold on TM feels just like another 'admin fee' akin to the additional cost tacked on by TM per ticket (which I also hate).

And from a business POV, they must have raised plenty of extra revenue with the $50 subs.

Free market and and that.

And yes, ticketless is deffo the way to go for the massive gigs.
    It was fully ticketless for the Robbie Williams gig at the 02 back in 2012.

There wasn't a tout in sight. Nor where there any obvious guest list entry area.
    There must be thousands of hangers-on at the U2 Dublin gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Stopped reading once I saw "THE SUN"

They're quoting the TD who is trying to introduce the legislation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

A ticketless system is the only way to go. Definitely for standing. With a limit of 4 tickets per card, they'd probably still be on sale if that was the case.

Ticketless was employed for I+E but it didn't work. Of course Seatwave was exempt.

What we need is legislation which bans the sale of an event ticket for more than face value, and crucially, which punishes both the seller and the website responsible for facilitating the sale if caught. That way, the onus is on the sites themselves to respond to user reports of touting and deal with it, and, as Ticketmaster's lobbyists pointed out, would put dedicated and officially sanctioned touting outfits immediately out of business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Ticketless was employed for I+E but it didn't work. Of course Seatwave was exempt.

What we need is legislation which bans the sale of an event ticket for more than face value, and crucially, which punishes both the seller and the website responsible for facilitating the sale if caught. That way, the onus is on the sites themselves to respond to user reports of touting and deal with it, and, as Ticketmaster's lobbyists pointed out, would put dedicated and officially sanctioned touting outfits immediately out of business.

It worked wonderfully for standing. It wasn't employed at all for seating.

But yeah legislation is badly needed. Seatwave should be eradicated ASAP or like you say just allow a face value secure resale.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Dutchy

Probably missing something simple here.
    I was lucky enough to get a standing ticket last week albeit I had to buy the annual subscription to their website.

Considering the trip to London during the summer and I see that the pre sale tickets go on sale tomorrow.

So how do I activate the annual subscription that I purchased in order to avail of the pre sale?

Sorry if it's fierce obvious....

Chances are that you haven't got the code yet.

I think it said lat week that TM would send an email within 7-10 days regarding the membership.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,991 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Gotcha, wasn't aware of that.

LOL, and you are the lead singer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Posted this on here last night:
    Have an unused access code that can be used in the upcoming presales this week for the second dates in London, Rome, Paris & Amsterdam.

Anyone with 4 spares / 4 tickets they are unhappy with for the Dublin gig want to exchange for tickets for any of these second dates?
    All Croke park tickets considered (but preferably 4 seated together). Would obviously resolve the price difference so no-one is out of pocket.

PM me if interested.

Looking for some feedback on the above. My questions are:
    • Anyone know of anyone that this might appeal to?
    • Anyone know of a UK-based U2 forum that I could post the above on and might have more appeal?
    • Should I take a chance on buying four GA tickets for say the London 2 gig (If I can get them of course!) in the hope of exchanging them for 4 Dublin tickets?
    • Would London 2 be the best of the second date cities (also Rome, Paris & Amsterdam) to take a chance on?
    Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Dutchy

Chances are that you haven't got the code yet.

I think it said lat week that TM would send an email within 7-10 days regarding the membership.

Didn't realise I had to wait on a code to activate (assumed activation by email addy linked to your TM account would've sufficed). Wont be buying another sub!!! so London may not be calling after all. :cool:

Is there a source that confirms 8,000 went on sale? That seems excessively low.

Trust me that was the ballpark figure, can't say anymore, obviously can't name my source. Reading between lines is required here :).

Trust me that was the ballpark figure, can't say anymore, obviously can't name my source. Reading between lines is required here :).

Sorry my bad, the man on the internet said it so it must be true.

• Advertisement

Sorry my bad, the man on the internet said it so it must be true.

I am a very popular person when gigs are announced :)

Advertisement