Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 Joshua Tree Tour 2017 / 2019 **No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭starWave

secman wrote: »
    I am a very popular person when gigs are announced :)

Any idea how many went in the presale?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,991 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Guys, the fan club goes back a long time and so does the pre-sales. I have been a member since around about '91 when Achtung Baby was released. So I'll fill you in a bit on my memories of how it worked. You used to get 4 magazines per subscription in the post, not necessarily over a one year period, but rather just released as and when, but usually between 2-3 mags per year. I have no idea how much it cost, but I still have the magazines in the attic so I must dig them out and check out the subscription page. Then one year, they sent a limited edition Collectors CD with one of the magazine issues. Ever since then, subscribers got some kind of gift along with their subscription. I've got some mad stuff from Zoo baby condoms, Fly Glasses, membership keyrings, CD's, vinyl records, Books, Lithographs. All of it pretty cool.

I remember one time getting a letter in the post from a fellow fan, well actually a few fans, old and young from Sweden (I even remember her name :o), Liverpool, USA, Uruguay and many more. I can't remember which one came first though. So I was confused as to why I got this, but when the next magazine arrived I realised why. I had sent something off to the magazine, can't remember what maybe just a tick box on my subscription or something, but whatever it was, I wasn't aware that my name and address were going to be put up on the Grapevine. That was the page in the magazine where fans could reach out to one and other and become pen pals. I guess I was popular as I was in Dublin, but I'm sure I would have been even more popular if they knew how close to Bono I lived! Anyway, loads of penpals for a few years, some of them even came to Dublin just to meet me. :eek:

Then I remember getting a letter in the post, offering me the chance to buy a guaranteed 4 tickets for the Popmart show in Lansdowne Road. I filled it in an sent it off hoping for the best. Probably had to send off money orders in those days :eek: 4 tickets arrived and I was happy as a pig in sh1t. I remember swapping 2 tickets for the second show and went on the 2 nights. Think I may have an old photograph or 2 from one of the shows. Must dig them out too. Slane was next up and again I got an option to buy pre-sale tickets. Actually, maybe that was the one I swapped tickets for the second show :confused:. Funny what you remember, but I recall meeting a girl at her office around Dawson street somewhere to swap tickets. Anyway, again, I went to both shows. I remember getting lost from my mates at Slane 2 and spent half the concert and the trek home alone. But I was flying! Poor aul Bob had just kicked the bucket.

If you have any old CD's, records or even tapes, check out the inlay and there is probably a bit of info there on how to sign up to the fan club Propaganda. I imagine that is all gone on the more recent prints. Obviously the internet came along and shook things up from then on. Personally, I don't have much interest in the website and would much rather get the old fashioned magazines in the post. I nearly never log onto the website, but I still sign up, but contrary to popular opinion, I don't sign up to get pre-sale tickets, my main motif is to get the free gift. It's a true limited edition collectors item (although not as rare or limited nowadays) but I have the whole set and a pretty tasty U2 collection at this stage, so I just like to keep it complete. There have been occasions where I didn't renew my subscription as the gift hadn't been released so it lapsed for interim periods. Once I remember dropping down the ranks in the presale (360 tour I think) as I either hadn't renewed on time or signed up with a new email address as opposed to just changing my existing one....stupid move. Still got my tickets though :cool:

Anyway, it appears here that some people seem to harbor a grudge at the fan club presales option, so I just wanted to shed a bit of light on it and let you know that the fan club is really much more than just a presales option.

Was is done fairer back when I got a letter in the post with my ticket options? Absolutely. But times change and things are very different nowadays. Could it be done fairer, of course it could, but whatever way it is done, there will always be people who are not happy.

IMO it should be along the lines of this.
    Propaganda Members - long time, worldwide members who have been constant subscribers since the magazine. - First Presale.
    Beautiful Day Members - constant worldwide subscribers (10+yrs) since the fan club moved to u2.com - Second presale
    Horizon members - members over 1 year - third presale but the first hour restricted to members who's address is in the country of the concert.
    Innocence Members - within the last year - fourth presale but again, first hour restricted to members resident in the country of the concert.
    Bandwaggoners - members since tour announcement. Personally I don't think they should be allowed, but as it has been done now, there will be no going back on it. Again, there should be a restriction though and fans with an address in the actual country of the gig get first dibs.

General sale should also be first offered to country of residence, but as it is done through ticket master presale codes don't apply so hard to police. restrict IP access (I know there are ways around that, but it would help)

While I don't agree that bandwaggoners should be allowed to sign up to presales via TM and understand most of you guys had a gripe about that, we have to accept U2 are a business and part of their business is to generate revenue. Album sales are not what they used to be and there is only a limited number of concerts they can perform so they need to look at other avenues for generating revenue. U2.com membership is not something easily advertised and sold, so to do it when they are releasing tickets is a clever move. Unlike signing up before ticket release and hoping for the best with regard to getting tickets, last week gave you the option to secure your tickets first so you knew what part of the ground you would be in before actually committing to membership, so all in all, that was pretty fair.

Look, it was an option to guarantee tickets. Some of you seem to consider it an extra cost to the tickets, but really you do get more whether you use it or not. That is like me saying Sky charge me €90 just to watch the golf on Sky Sports, but in actual fact I could also watch football, rugby, tennis etc should I choose. But when you break it down per ticket it was only and extra €10 (membership was only €40 on U2.com - €50 via TM(I presume they need their cut), so not a lot of money to guarantee a ticket in what we all knew would be a quickly sold out concert. So the option was there and tickets were available all day last Thursday for anyone who wanted them, so you can't really complain to much, because you knew you were taking a chance in the Monday morning madness, all for the sake of not wanting to give an extra tenner per ticket.

Ticket allocations are a different story. There should be a clearly visible and defined allocation that allows everyone to know how they are being released and where they are going. Presales was restricted to 4 but should have been a max of 2 in a foreign country. TM - 8 was way to much. I think 4 is quite fair if you have a group going that want to stay together, especially families. As for them holding tickets back, Seatwave etc...... well something needs to be done, because it is corrupt as fock.

Oh yea, and interesting to note there were 35,000 subscribers to Propaganda back when they released Melon, the first gift. Would love to know how many they have paying membership now........... must be millions, certainly in the hundreds of thousands

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Pinkman

So is it the case that if I signed up to the fan club tonight, I won't get the pre sale code straight away? So it would be a complete waste of 50 quid to become a member to try for London tickets in the morning? Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭lazer.blue

Do you remember the 'U2 Info' newsletters that preceded Propaganda?

lazer.blue wrote: »
    Do you remember the 'U2 Info' newsletters that preceded Propaganda?

I'm not old enough for that ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

Pinkman wrote: »
    So is it the case that if I signed up to the fan club tonight, I won't get the pre sale code straight away? So it would be a complete waste of 50 quid to become a member to try for London tickets in the morning? Cheers.

Anyone who paid to join the fan club after December 2016 won't be able to buy London tickets until Thursday. They will be in the "Wires"group. Long-standing subscribers are in the "Red Hill" group and they can buy tomorrow.

Based on what Dutchy said above, there may be a delay in getting the code for anyone who signed up via Ticketmaster, which is a shame. However, if you sign up on u2.com now, I'd say there's a very good chance you would be set up with your pre-sale access code by Thursday morning. Subscription info here: http://www.u2.com/help. Or you can wait until Thursday and hope that Ticketmaster will be selling membership along with tickets as they did for the Dublin shows last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭secman

starWave wrote: »
    Any idea how many went in the presale?

Suffice to say a high percentage went to fan club, was surprised when I heard how high it was.

Suffice to say a high percentage went to fan club, was surprised when I heard how high it was.

how much did they get and how do you know?

Seve OB wrote: »
    how much did they get and how do you know?

Do you really expect me to divulge that, as I said I'm very popular when gigs are announced, don't bother with them myself, I only bother when there is a good comedy act coming.
    Hopefully you being a long term fan, you got your tickets. The demand was unreal, TM staff were under huge pressure from promoter and band to ensure fan club were looked after.

Anyone who paid to join the fan club after December 2016 won't be able to buy London tickets until Thursday. They will be in the "Wires"group. Long-standing subscribers are in the "Red Hill" group and they can buy tomorrow.

Based on what Dutchy said above, there may be a delay in getting the code for anyone who signed up via Ticketmaster, which is a shame. However, if you sign up on u2.com now, I'd say there's a very good chance you would be set up with your pre-sale access code by Thursday morning. Subscription info here: http://www.u2.com/help. Or you can wait until Thursday and hope that Ticketmaster will be selling membership along with tickets as they did for the Dublin shows last week.

Thanks for that. What is the difference buying membership off Ticketmaster on Thursday morning as oppose to from U2.com? Is it cheaper?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭weadick

Bring back propaganda!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Got 8 myself yesterday , logged on 8.57 and at 9 i looked for tickets and by 9.02 i had paid and boxed it off

Got 8 myself yesterday , logged on 8.57 and at 9 i looked for tickets and by 9.02 i had paid and boxed it off

You were very fortunate, enjoy the gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Do you really expect me to divulge that, as I said I'm very popular when gigs are announced, don't bother with them myself, I only bother when there is a good comedy act coming.
    Hopefully you being a long term fan, you got your tickets. The demand was unreal, TM staff were under huge pressure from promoter and band to ensure fan club were looked after.

I appreciate your comments but if the band and promoter really wanted to ensure the fan club were looked after they shouldn't have allowed people to buy a fan club bundle on Thursday ,especially not at the same time the Wires presale started.
    This basically meant anyone could buy tickets if they were willing to pay an extra 50 euro per order.

There should have been some sort of cut off date for registering for a fan club membership like previous presales,and previously paid up but lapsed members should have been given some sort of an advantage.
    In the US all presale tickets were credit card entry only ,whereas in the general sale only floor tickets were credit card entry.
    Could we not have had something similar here ,it would stop touts buying up tickets in the presales .

I knew something was up yesterday ,its simply impossible to shift 40k tickets in 6 and 4 minutes (Dublin and London).
    I got my tickets in the presale so I am ok but its highly disingenuous of Ticketmaster and the promoters to announce the general sale for a Monday morning and then put a tiny percentage of the capacity on sale .

I dont know why these tours have to be announced at such short notice either, its very haphazard organisation .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

Thanks for that. What is the difference buying membership off Ticketmaster on Thursday morning as oppose to from U2.com? Is it cheaper?

It's $40 on U2.com, think someone on this thread said it was €40 on Ticketmaster. Hard to say what the pros and cons of each option are at this late stage but I suppose there's a possibility Ticketmaster might not offer the fan club membership this time round.

Was only asking as I don't know you from Adam and for all I know your info is coming from a man on a bar stool somewhere who heard it from a friend who knows somebody working in a ticketmaster outlet ;)

Not that I doubt you of course, was just wondering as most of the time people would ask for a source when stuff like that is said. I leak a bit info myself from time to time on the golf forum & I would not divulge who it comes from, but most of the lads there know me from the society and know where the info comes from.

If they wanted to look after the fans though, then they could have structured the pre sales abot better and not allow anybody sign up straight away with the wires group. That was fair enough to do that IMO, but the wires should have had first craic.

Thankfully yea I got my tickets last Wednesday in the Red Hill sale

Is there a separate amount of tickets put aside for the Red Hill pre sale and the Wires Group or could there be no standing left for London when the Wires pre sale starts on Thursday? Cheers.

It's $40 on U2.com, think someone on this thread said it was €40 on Ticketmaster. Hard to say what the pros and cons of each option are at this late stage but I suppose there's a possibility Ticketmaster might not offer the fan club membership this time round.

€50 on TM

Why is the subscription €40 as a gift to someone else but $50 to sign up yourself? Obviously you can just email yourself the code but it seems odd that it's cheaper to send it as a gift. It appears to be the exact same membership.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,410 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Petition for a PUC gig to happen www.u2cork.com

Can't see them playing Cork this summer as the stadium would have to undertake health and safety checks and all that

Insiders saying it was the bands decision not too play a 2nd Croke Park gig

https://www.thesun.ie/tvandshowbiz/music/441233/why-u2-havent-announced-second-gig-in-ireland-after-extra-dates-planned-for-london-rome-and-amsterdam/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

30th anniversary of last cork Joshua tree gig falls in August 8th ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Insiders saying it was the bands decision not too play a 2nd Croke Park gig
    An insider said: “It was only when tickets went on sale yesterday, U2 could see the demand for tickets in each country.

“That’s why they announced more concerts in London, Rome and Amsterdam straight away. It could be they didn’t see that demand in Ireland to put on an extra concert.”

I dont believe that .
    How could they not foresee the demand for a second gig in the city which historically has had the highest ticket demand on most of their tours.

If Paul Mc Guinness was still manager this wouldnt have happened ,the guy they have now ,well I wont say what I think of him .

Why is the subscription €40 as a gift to someone else but $50 to sign up yourself? Obviously you can just email yourself the code but it seems odd that it's cheaper to send it as a gift. It appears to be the exact same membership.

yea thats what i did last time round

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Benbecul97 wrote: »
    Posted this on here last night:
    Have an unused access code that can be used in the upcoming presales this week for the second dates in London, Rome, Paris & Amsterdam.

Anyone with 4 spares / 4 tickets they are unhappy with for the Dublin gig want to exchange for tickets for any of these second dates?
    All Croke park tickets considered (but preferably 4 seated together). Would obviously resolve the price difference so no-one is out of pocket.

PM me if interested.

Looking for some feedback on the above. My questions are:
    • Anyone know of anyone that this might appeal to?
    • Anyone know of a UK-based U2 forum that I could post the above on and might have more appeal?
    • Should I take a chance on buying four GA tickets for say the London 2 gig (If I can get them of course!) in the hope of exchanging them for 4 Dublin tickets?
    • Would London 2 be the best of the second date cities (also Rome, Paris & Amsterdam) to take a chance on?
    Thanks in advance!

Anyone??

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭iSeano90

Its 40 to renew an existing membership- its 50 to sign up fresh.

iSeano90 wrote: »
    Its 40 to renew an existing membership- its 50 to sign up fresh.

What about this?

http://u2.fanfire.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Store.woa/wa/product?sourceCode=U2TWEBWWEUR&sku=U2TGCLB

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭andersat2

Three more North American dates have been added to 'The Joshua Tree Tour 2017' this summer.

The band will play second nights at the Rose Bowl in Los Angeles on May 21st, Soldier Field in Chicago on June 4th and at the MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford on June 29th.

Tickets for these three additional shows will go on general sale next Monday, January 23rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Some ways to solve all these problems as follows, some of which have been mentioned before.

(A) Concerts that they know will sell out make it max 2 tickets per person.
    That way more fans will get them and will mean a lot of people who buy multiples to sell on won't be able to.
    Ticketmaster knew exactly what they were doing with the 8 limit.
    More people buy 8, concert sells out very quick, people who bought 8 sell some or all on Seatwave and ordinary fan has nowhere else to go.
    Seatwave get huge commission!
    Heard 2nd hand about a few guys who bought 8, 4 going and are going to sell the other 4 to cover the cost (and more) for their 4 so they end up going for nothing.

(B) Get rid of the print at home facility and make all tickets hard copy only.
    Only send them out a week beforehand to avoid people flogging them beforehand. Also stops all the problems with people reprinting them multiple times and then disappearing when the concert is on. Heard it happening so many times especially for concerts involving young fans like 1D etc.

(C) Mightn't work with a 2 limit but buyer has to attend and produce card used to buy.

(D) Make it illegal to sell tickets over face value for concerts in your country and fine all the websites say 5k a sale.

If they implement some or all of the above, it might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Been to every U2 tour since Vertigo (was too young for Elevation at Slane, even though I wanted to go so much). Seen them 7 times (6 Dublin, 1 Auckland), and was hoping to make it 8, but no joy.

For I&E I had no bother on the general sale. I got 2 standing tickets for the Monday. Then rejoined the online queue and got 2 standing tickets for the Saturday aswell. Was expecting more of the same this time but it was a fiasco instead. How could I manage to get 2 sets of tickets for gigs totalling 40,000 in 2015, while I couldn't get a sniff of one (nor could any of my friends who also tried) for an 80,000 gig in 2017?

I'm going to try for London and Amsterdam and hopefully I'll get one, as the weekend of Rome doesn't suit. What's the best way to go about this? Out of principle I'm against paying 50 blips to buy on presale, but how does it work? If I sign up now do I get my code straight away or will it be too late?

Also what was the demand like for the first London and Amsterdam gigs? Did they sell out as quick as Dublin and do they have the same Seatwave lark?

• Advertisement

Benbecul97 wrote: »
    Anyone??

Try forums on U2.com ?

Advertisement