Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 Joshua Tree Tour 2017 / 2019 **No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

Should've said 2015, sorry - and seatwave was definitely implicated for that tour (I+e), same situation in that tickets sold out in minutes and then appeared on Seateave for 5x face value.

Ticketmaster are an absolute disgrace for tolerating this and if there's one good thing to come out of it it's that politicians are now talking about outlawing it altogether.

You are correct in saying that the Ticketmaster affiliated secondary ticket selling sites, Seatwave and Get Me In, were highlighted during the 2015 tour.

It may have already been mentioned in this discussion, but Get Me In, the other Ticketmaster affiliated company, was the subject of a discussion on RTE One Liveline on Thursday 26th November 2015, regarding a lady who had bought two tickets, for one of the Dublin gigs, through Get Me In.

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/liveline/programmes/2015/1126/749422-liveline-thursday-26-november-2015/?clipid=2041759

http://rte.ie/r.html?rii=b9_20888056_53_26-11-2015_

here is the description for the item on the RTE site, on the Liveline page:

(http://www.rte.ie/radio1/liveline/programmes/2015/1126/749422-liveline-thursday-26-november-2015/?clipid=2041759)

"American Brooke Bradley is a major U2 fan who spent $2000 on tickets with getmein.com for Saturday's show. The tickets had fallen through when she arrived in Dublin."

https://www.joe.ie/life-style/audio-this-american-woman-paid-e2000-for-u2-that-werent-even-there/521277

https://soundcloud.com/rte-radio-1/liveline-american-u2-fan-pays-2000-for-tickets-that-were-not-available

• Registered Users Posts: 10,014 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Some ways to solve all these problems as follows, some of which have been mentioned before.

(A) Concerts that they know will sell out make it max 2 tickets per person.
    That way more fans will get them and will mean a lot of people who buy multiples to sell on won't be able to.
    Ticketmaster knew exactly what they were doing with the 8 limit.
    More people buy 8, concert sells out very quick, people who bought 8 sell some or all on Seatwave and ordinary fan has nowhere else to go.
    Seatwave get huge commission!
    Heard 2nd hand about a few guys who bought 8, 4 going and are going to sell the other 4 to cover the cost (and more) for their 4 so they end up going for nothing.

(B) Get rid of the print at home facility and make all tickets hard copy only.
    Only send them out a week beforehand to avoid people flogging them beforehand. Also stops all the problems with people reprinting them multiple times and then disappearing when the concert is on. Heard it happening so many times especially for concerts involving young fans like 1D etc.

(C) Mightn't work with a 2 limit but buyer has to attend and produce card used to buy.

(D) Make it illegal to sell tickets over face value for concerts in your country and fine all the websites say 5k a sale.

If they implement some or all of the above, it might help.

Paperless tickets. Same as iron maiden gigs. Need card of purchase on entry. End of scalpers, period.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

[font=gotham-lightgotham-light, sans-serif]Anyone from the 'Red Hill Group' trying to buy tickets in the presales this morning for the [/font][font=gotham-lightgotham-light, sans-serif]2nd shows: [/font][font=gotham-lightgotham-light, sans-serif]Los Angeles[/font][font=gotham-lightgotham-light, sans-serif] (May 21st), [/font][font=gotham-lightgotham-light, sans-serif]Chicago[/font][font=gotham-lightgotham-light, sans-serif] (June 4th), [/font][font=gotham-lightgotham-light, sans-serif]East Rutherford[/font][font=gotham-lightgotham-light, sans-serif] (June 29th), [/font][font=gotham-lightgotham-light, sans-serif]London[/font][font=gotham-lightgotham-light, sans-serif] (July 9), [/font][font=gotham-lightgotham-light, sans-serif]Rome[/font][font=gotham-lightgotham-light, sans-serif] (July 16), [/font][font=gotham-lightgotham-light, sans-serif]Paris[/font][font=gotham-lightgotham-light, sans-serif] (July 26) and [/font][font=gotham-lightgotham-light, sans-serif]Amsterdam[/font][font=gotham-lightgotham-light, sans-serif] (July 30)?[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭mrk75

Benbecul97 wrote: »
    [font=gotham-lightgotham-light, sans-serif]Anyone from the 'Red Hill Group' trying to buy tickets in the presales this morning for the [/font][font=gotham-lightgotham-light, sans-serif]2nd shows: [/font][font=gotham-lightgotham-light, sans-serif]Los Angeles[/font][font=gotham-lightgotham-light, sans-serif] (May 21st), [/font][font=gotham-lightgotham-light, sans-serif]Chicago[/font][font=gotham-lightgotham-light, sans-serif] (June 4th), [/font][font=gotham-lightgotham-light, sans-serif]East Rutherford[/font][font=gotham-lightgotham-light, sans-serif] (June 29th), [/font][font=gotham-lightgotham-light, sans-serif]London[/font][font=gotham-lightgotham-light, sans-serif] (July 9), [/font][font=gotham-lightgotham-light, sans-serif]Rome[/font][font=gotham-lightgotham-light, sans-serif] (July 16), [/font][font=gotham-lightgotham-light, sans-serif]Paris[/font][font=gotham-lightgotham-light, sans-serif] (July 26) and [/font][font=gotham-lightgotham-light, sans-serif]Amsterdam[/font][font=gotham-lightgotham-light, sans-serif] (July 30)?[/font]
    Yeah, trying for London and was right in at 9.00am to order standing tickets but am still in the queue.

Didn't think there'd be a big pile of Red Hill subscribers with pre-sales left all trying for the same tickets, so it's a bit unusual.

mrk75 wrote: »
    Yeah, trying for London and was right in at 9.00am to order standing tickets but am still in the queue.

Didn't think there'd be a big pile of Red Hill subscribers with pre-sales left all trying for the same tickets, so it's a bit unusual.
    Did you access the Ticketmaster page for London July 9 via the link on u2.com/tours?
    Did you then select the "Standing or Red Zone" link? Did that link then allow you to enter your code?
    Can you use the same login from Ticketmaster.ie on Ticketmaster.co.uk?
    Thanks and good luck!

• Advertisement

Did you access the Ticketmaster page for London July 9 via the link on u2.com/tours?
    Did you then select the "Standing or Red Zone" link? Did that link then allow you to enter your code?
    Can you use the same login from Ticketmaster.ie on Ticketmaster.co.uk?
    Thanks and good luck!
    Yeah, all of the above. No problem entering code and getting access to the pre-sale. Just stuck in a queue.

Haven't logged in yet but I've found in the past my .ie log-in works also for .co.uk so don't anticipate any issues there.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

dodzy wrote: »
    Paperless tickets. Same as iron maiden gigs. Need card of purchase on entry. End of scalpers, period.

But then people will complain that if they buy using someone else's card or they buy as a gift or they can't go on the night and pass to a friend they're screwed.... People are never happy.

Personally I think tough sh!t and agree with you. There was minimal touting for the I&E tour at standing level and similarly there was none for RW years ago because it was card entry.

If people are told that this is the way and that the booking card has to come to the gig then it would seriously hurt touting. That and anti-touting legislation similar to Belgiums.

OK, that was weird. Took a chance and opened a new window. Wasn't sure if I'd be able to enter the pre-sale code again since it was supposedly in use for the purposes of the tickets I was queuing for in the other window.

Anyway, straight in, no fuss and two standing tickets in the bag. Happy days!

(Was able to use my .ie log-in details too...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

In truth it's very easy to pretty much stamp out touting. But sadly the gravy train seems to go right to the top.

OK, that was weird. Took a chance and opened a new window. Wasn't sure if I'd be able to enter the pre-sale code again since it was supposedly in use for the purposes of the tickets I was queuing for in the other window.

Anyway, straight in, no fuss and two standing tickets in the bag. Happy days!

(Was able to use my .ie log-in details too...)
    Thanks for the update. Glad you got sorted.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭MML

I've been asked to try for two tickets for Amsterdam on Monday.
    Is there anything I should know beforehand? Is it likely to be a bloodbath like Dublin?
    And do I need a new Ticketmaster account for the Dutch site?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

MML wrote: »
    I've been asked to try for two tickets for Amsterdam on Monday.
    Is there anything I should know beforehand? Is it likely to be a bloodbath like Dublin?
    And do I need a new Ticketmaster account for the Dutch site?

Yes you need to register with ticketmaster.nl to buy tickets.

Make sure you join the que early - 7:45 Irish time (remember they go on sale local time 9am which is 8am here).

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭MML

Veloce wrote: »
    Yes you need to register with ticketmaster.nl to buy tickets.

Make sure you join the que early - 7:45 Irish time (remember they go on sale local time 9am which is 8am here).

Thanks a million for that. That would have caught me out... hard to think straight first thing Monday mornings! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,478 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

dodzy wrote: »

What if you have had a new card issued in the time between buying tickets and the gig? Happens a lot with expiry dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭lambayire

murpho999 wrote: »
    What if you have had a new card issued in the time between buying tickets and the gig. Happens a lot with expiry dates.

Apparently the old card will work on entry but you can contact TM and transfer to the new card.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

But then people will complain that if they buy using someone else's card or they buy as a gift or they can't go on the night and pass to a friend they're screwed.... People are never happy.

Personally I think tough sh!t and agree with you. There was minimal touting for the I&E tour at standing level and similarly there was none for RW years ago because it was card entry.

If people are told that this is the way and that the booking card has to come to the gig then it would seriously hurt touting. That and anti-touting legislation similar to Belgiums.

None of this would be necessary if we simply made selling above cost price a criminal offence to both seller and facilitator. That way people could still buy tickets as gifts, for friends, give them away or sell them and make what they spent back if they found out they couldn't go, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,991 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

None of this would be necessary if we simply made selling above cost price a criminal offence to both seller and facilitator. That way people could still buy tickets as gifts, for friends, give them away or sell them and make what they spent back if they found out they couldn't go, etc.

just because you make something a criminal offence it doesn't mean people won't do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Seve OB wrote: »
    just because you make something a criminal offence it doesn't mean people won't do it!

yarp, ticket for sale@cost price, 250 yoyo delivery charge etc...

There are always ways around it and if people rely upon that type of income they'll find a way; higher delivery charges, "agent/organiser/service fees", private sales, non-residents who won't care about laws; all while the ticket is at "face value".

Want to buy a gift, then be prepared to lend your card or be their plus one. It's the lesser of two evils. If you just can't go, tough luck, give your card to someone you know who will go. If I book a holiday and can't go, i can't always get a refund and I certainly can't transfer it but I know all of this at the outset.

The big problem with the I&E situation and credit cards was that people were told the conditions up front, ignored them and then started kicking up because they were too lazy to read the fine print in the first place.

There are always ways around it and if people rely upon that type of income they'll find a way; higher delivery charges, "agent/organiser/service fees", private sales, non-residents who won't care about laws; all while the ticket is at "face value".

Want to buy a gift, then be prepared to lend your card or be their plus one. It's the lesser of two evils. If you just can't go, tough luck, give your card to someone you know who will go. If I book a holiday and can't go, i can't always get a refund and I certainly can't transfer it but I know all of this at the outset.

The big problem with the I&E situation and credit cards was that people were told the conditions up front, ignored them and then started kicking up because they were too lazy to read the fine print in the first place.
    I am in support of paperless tickets/tickets with names printed needing ID (such as Radiohead are implementing). If people want to tackle touts they will need to make some sacrifices of convenience. I imagine if became a more widespread practice that ticket insurance could become more ubiquitous/competitive too so if you're worried you won't be able to make a gig you can pay a bit extra for peace of mind that you can recoup the ticket cost.

• Advertisement

Seve OB wrote: »

I realise that, but if you put all of the facilitating websites (seatwave, donedeal, viagogo etc) on the hook for massive fines and criminal charges if they allow people to list tickets for more than cost price, you make it a lot more difficult for people to do this. It won't eliminate touting, but the ridiculous bullsh!t of hundreds of tickets showing up on seatwave for 5x asking price minutes after the concert sells out would be stopped immediately.

But this does not prevent organised, officially sanctioned touting by the likes of seatwave. Make it illegal for them to operate if they allow selling above cost price and you'll make a massive dent in the touting market.

But this does not prevent organised, officially sanctioned touting by the likes of seatwave. Make it illegal for them to operate if they allow selling above cost price and you'll make a massive dent in the touting market.

I did say both measure simultaneously. Simply making it illegal will certainly get rid of Seatwave and Viagogo, absolutely. But, you'll just push touts to eBay and Gumtree (where they'll be advertised smartly to veer around the requirements or the phone to call to arrange everything will reveal the real price) and then there'll be private third party tout websites domained in god knows where who'll get you tickets.

Names on tickets with card required is the only way, and people will just have to suck it up on the inconvenience side and not buy gifts (unless they're going) and if they can't go, give it to a friend they trust along with the credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Bonavox wrote: »
    I don't understand the hate to U2 over the ticket issue. They enforced anti-touting measures for I&E and were roasted then too. They can do no right it seems.

I had a quick look and did not see much "roasting" in the I&E thread. I did not hear of anyone who was refused entry who had made a reasonable effort to get in. I was asking the same about radiohead, were people really being refused, I only saw one instance online of a guy who could not get in who had made a semi-reasonable effort -can't remember the details but I would certainly have made a better effort myself.

If my brother gave me a radiohead ticket and I went up with his passport, drivers licence, credit card and confirmation emails I would be surprised if I would not get in -even though technically I should not get in.

I don't think anybody was complaining that they tried to create anti-touting, they just felt if could have been better, and venues should listen to comments like those.

I would like to see 2 ticket limits, definitely for standing anyway. Groups would want to be seated together, there could possibly be some way to have that arranged, e.g. you get a block reserved but it has to be paid for on different cards in sets of 2 max. Never understood where this allowance of 8 came from, I did not see anyone whinging about only being let get 4 in the presale, 4 is plenty.

If there had to be strict limits like ID in place to get around loopholes then I think people would just grow used to it, just like people know buying an expensive plane ticket is a big commitment which could go to waste if you cannot make it, or would be quite costly to have the plane ticket changed to be used by another person.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Just amidst all this discussion of touting and corporate touts, I'd like to again express my thanks and admiration to Boards poster Toast, and his team at the fantastic Toutless.com, for facilitating face value transactions between genuine music lovers, who refuse on point of principle to profiteer off the backs of their fellow fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

There were tickets for sale on platinum.ticketmaster.ie 30 mins +
    After 9

How many? Who knows
    The price - 495 euro each

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

ID/credit card checks and 2 or 4 at the very max tickets per person would help alleviate an awful lot of touts especially for these high demand gigs. I went to a gig in Belgium before and the the theatre has its own website to facilitate people to sell tickets who can no longer go all for face value. Great idea also. So frustrating how these problems keep arising and stop genuine fans from getting tickets all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

In an effort to impress Sonja, Alan ropes in one of the worst Bono impersonators ever.

Taken From I'm Alan Partridge Series 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew4wrtl01PA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

Can't believe people support the photo I'd/ credit card nonsense.
    I got myself into a right tizzy when my wife purchased my u2 tickets for the 3 arena shows.She has no interest in U2 and simply helped me out because I was at work.
    Like an eejit, landed up to the venue with her passport,credit card and a sob story if necessary.
    Yer man at the door barely made eye contact,scanned the card,and I was in.
    All that fretting for nothing.

I'm all for ticketless entry and proof of purchase,but the notion that the purchaser MUST be present is a daft one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Ticketmaster really are taking the mickey in the US

As I previously stated all tickets in the US presale were credit card entry.
    In the general sale only the standing area was credit card entry ,the seats were e-tickets .

Now here's the kicker ,it seems Ticketmaster are allowing people resell credit card entry seats on their resale platform.
    So basically their primary reason for making the presale tickets credit card entry wasn't to stop touts,it was to ensure that they Ticketmaster had exclusive resale rights.
    You couldn't make this stuff up.

Advertisement