Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 Joshua Tree Tour 2017 / 2019 **No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭lazer.blue

The first mention of extra US dates I saw was on atu2.com on Sunday and then they were confirmed yesterday. The statement a few months back that there would be no more dates seemed definitive and so people were probably not really on the look out for any indication that there might be some in the offing. I don't think logistics would be a major factor in preventing a second Croke Park show, if there is a will there will be a way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Do you think an event for 80,000 people in Dublin can be arranged at 5 weeks notice? I'm no expert on planning but I doubt it very very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭lazer.blue

Do you think an event for 80,000 people in Dublin can be arranged at 5 weeks notice? I'm no expert on planning but I doubt it very very much.

No planning expert myself either just an optimist! They wouldn't be planning from scratch. Supposing if it was to happen it would be on the Friday then the current set up schedule would have to be brought forward by about 24 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 15,991 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I would imagine it could be organised with very little notice considering the setup will already be in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,410 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

very possible they might use 2018 to record SOE and then do a massive world tour in 2019/20. Although They could do a Summer tour of Austrailia/New Zealand/South Africa/Asia in Jan/feb 2018 ??

Its prob impossible to do an outdoor euro tour in the autumn/winter 2017 and even Spring 2018 might be a bit dicey too. They might do another JT euro leg in summer 2018 and include Pairc Ui Choamh in Cork

• Advertisement

Seve OB wrote: »
    I would imagine it could be organised with very little notice considering the setup will already be in place.

I'm not talking about the stage(which itself will probably be scheduled already to be moved), but everything else such as staff and security and police and general logistics and notice to the residents.

It's massively unrealistic.

there was a pretty big concert organised in manchester last week in about 4 days if i am not mistaken!

Ah come on now, I think authorities and staff would be slightly more accommodating in that respect FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Ah come on now, I think authorities and staff would be slightly more accommodating in that respect FFS

U2 were "accomodated" before

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2001/0313/393160-u2/
    30 Jan 2009 12:15
    The government is planning to fast-track new legislation which many enable a second U2 concert to take place at Slane in August. The law, which was due to be introduced later in the year, would remove the need for organisers to apply for planning permission. The Taoiseach has asked the Minister for the Environment to enact the relevant piece of legislation.

The new regulations will be presented to the Dail and Seanad in the next fortnight and could be law by the end of the month. This would allow the promoters of U2's Slane concert the time to apply for a license under the new system if they wanted to stage a second show.

There were angry scenes at ticket outlets last Saturday when queuing fans were turned away after the 80,000 tickets for the August 25th concert sold out in 45 minutes. MCD, the promoters of the U2 concert, said that it was the fastest selling show ever in Ireland.

This evening MCD said they welcomed the Taoiseach's intervention. A spokesman said they were waiting to see what would emerge and indicated that any chances of a second concert would depend on the goodwill of the people in Slane.

They also got 3 croke park gigs in 2009 when 1 had been on already. It was widely known back then that there was supposed to be a limit of 3 per year (not saying it was law or anything before someone jumps in!). This was why the whole garth brooks fiasco was so bad, them acting like they had no idea of any supposed limit when the dogs on the street knew.

That was months in advance though!! We're 6 weeks away, lads I wouldn't be betting on it.

They played to less people in Ireland on the I+e tour so I can't see how ye are so shocked there is only 1 gig.

This tour is a massive scale back from previous stadium tours they've done. That applies to Ireland too.

Anyway, aren't most of ye already going to the gig? No interest in seeing this show twice. Seeing I+e twice was a mistake.

• Advertisement

That was months in advance though!! We're 6 weeks away, lads I wouldn't be betting on it.

They played to less people in Ireland on the I+e tour so I can't see how ye are so shocked there is only 1 gig.

This tour is a massive scale back from previous stadium tours they've done. That applies to Ireland too.

Anyway, aren't most of ye already going to the gig? No interest in seeing this show twice. Seeing I+e twice was a mistake.

I certainly wouldn't be betting on it either. I was merely saying it is possible to accomodate and organise FFS ;)

Saw I+E three times, twice in Dublin and in the O2 in London. Don't regret any of it except not trying to get tickets for the other Dublin shows!

I'm off to Twickers and again in Croker and can't bloody wait!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

Aren't Australia going berserk that they aren't touring down there either? This tour just seems like a limited vinyl release.

Aren't Australia going berserk that they aren't touring down there either? This tour just seems like a limited vinyl release.

Poor South Africa don't get many big acts playing there too but I imagine we might see a south hemp leg being added for early 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Serves them right ,they have lousy bloody taste in music.:P
    http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/7809452/ed-sheeran-smashes-records-australasian-stadium-tour

I certainly wouldn't be betting on it either. I was merely saying it is possible to accomodate and organise FFS ;)

Your "proof" it is possible was like comparing chalk and cheese. I really don't think its logistically possible at this stage. Yes exceptions can be made, but for huge charity benefits and not a Bono retirement fund benefit.

As for the multiple gigs, yeah fair enough, hope ya enjoy them! Just think it's become so scripted live that it's like seeing the same film in quick succession, a thing I never understood regardless of the quality of film.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

exactly.
    Your "proof" it is possible was like comparing chalk and cheese. I really don't think its logistically possible at this stage.
    chalk & cheese me hole, I thought it was a good example it was organised in days and you said 5 weeks.

Big events can happen at short notice, staff get paid, I know a few guys who work at gigs that get called in at very short notice.

I don't think it will happen either, but you seem 100% sure, if you are a betting man you should get onto paddy power, seriously, you might still get good odds. They had 6/4 odds on a third gig months back.

Though you are specifically talking about it happening the day before. The bet would likely be for a 3rd gig this year, though might not be profitable enough to setup again, thought they could just charge more.

Jesus, you're really saying authorities and people in general would make the same concessions as they do for a charity gig which has captured the hearts and minds of the whole world?

Right ye are lads, get planning that second night :D

And yes rubadub I am talking specifically about that weekend. If you chose to read before you spouted you would see that. I'd not bet against more U2 gigs in Ireland this year. I'm specifically talking about next month. Want me to spell that out again for you?

Keep dreaming there lads, I ain't gonna tell ye there's no santa anymore.

This guy has uploaded most of the songs from both nights in Chicago ,the video and audio are excellent.

The new live version of Red Hill Mining Town is growing on me,they have improved it alot since Vancouver.

I was reading a bit about the new groundbreaking LED screen that U2 are using on this tour ,its very interesting.

A few points

The set utilises a touring frame design called "SPACEFRAME" . The SPACEFRAME system is made of carbon fibre and is designed to be lightweight, collapsible, and fully wind braced.

Profile reduction and integrated wind bracing results in up-to 50 percent savings in shipping cost in some cases and a massive reduction in the tour's carbon footprint.
    Specifically for this U2 tour, truck loads are reduced from seven to three - or one less airplane - when compared to conventional LED frame load.

The U2 tour also marks the introduction of PRG's 4K (UHD) Broadcast Camera System as a first for concert touring. The PRG broadcast system, developed and integrated over three months, is a combination of products that can operate in 4K (UHD) and 3G SMPTE Standards. This design philosophy allows concurrent production to operate at the highest level of broadcast standards. The system delivers 60 frames per second (fps) with a UHD resolution of 3840 x 2160 pixels.

The concert touring system interconnects cameras and LED wall processors on fiber because of the enormous amounts of data and length of signal distances. The entire broadcast touring system can be set up within an hour and is designed to be operated by one video engineer, eliminating the need for four-to-five onsite engineering positions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭q2xv9rjei4awgb

This guy has uploaded most of the songs from both nights in Chicago ,the video and audio are excellent.

The new live version of Red Hill Mining Town is growing on me,they have improved it alot since Vancouver.

Exit is still the highlight of the show for me

That and the new version of New Year's Day. They're doing the full album version now, two keys below the original. Sounds darker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,814 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Sounds dreadful

The Nal wrote: »
    Sounds dreadful

Tbf, you've slated them for the majority of this thread so it's kind of hard to take you seriously on the matter :D

Bono is 57, not 26 anymore. He couldn't even sing it on the original tour. He's doing a good job of it tbh. Needs guitar though

• Registered Users Posts: 12,814 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Sounds dreadful

Tbf, you've slated them for the majority of this thread so it's kind of hard to take you seriously on the matter :D

Bono is 57, not 26 anymore. He couldn't even sing it on the original tour. He's doing a good job of it tbh. Needs guitar though
    I wasn't referring to Bonos singing, but the arrangement as you've pointed out.

I wasn't referring to Bonos singing, but the arrangement as you've pointed out.

Arrangement is fine, but it does need the guitar in it.

Maybe it doesn't work live with the guitar....I know it took them a long time to get Wild Horses right and even then, it didn't really work.

Sounded great on From The Sky Down though

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭JKerova1

Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses a v underrated song I think. The chorus is just epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

Cannot wait to see One Tree Hill live, an amazing song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxhBc61rfSw

• Registered Users Posts: 2 johnr2017

Hi folks

I have a spare radiohead ticket for tomorrow if anyone fancies swapping for a u2 pitch hard copy ticket. Sure let me know if this sounds good cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Looking to swap London Day 2 (July 9th) 4 x GA Standing tickets for Dublin (July 22nd) 4 x anywhere tickets but in the €39.05 - €110.00 price range.

Would obviously resolve the price difference so no-one is out of pocket.

Post in this thread or PM.

Many thanks.

Croke Park show is getting near now just under a month away

its going to be interesting what way will they alter the setlist to adapt to the sunlight. Good chance they wont alter it and keep it the same way as previous shows. Its going to be special

does anyone know if there recording a show on this tour for a possible Xmas DVD release ???

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Croke Park show is getting near now just under a month away

its going to be interesting what way will they alter the setlist to adapt to the sunlight. Good chance they wont alter it and keep it the same way as previous shows. Its going to be special

does anyone know if there recording a show on this tour for a possible Xmas DVD release ???

More than likely an American show.

Let's face it, The Joshua Tree has America written all over it

Advertisement