Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 Joshua Tree Tour 2017 / 2019 **No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

Pinkman wrote: »
    Was at Twickenham on Sunday. Simply incredible. 8th time seeing them and the best yet. I haven't seen Bono so engaged in a performance before apart from on DVD gigs. I would love if this was released on DVD.

It was only my 2nd time seeing them (last Sunday), so I didnt know how it would compare to other times but I cannot get over how absolutely powerful the entire performance was- form the get-go. I was at i&e #5 and that was a top 5 gig for me, but Twickenham was outstanding. Im eagerly waiting for a bootleg to appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭spindex

Is Noel Gallagher the only support act ?

spindex wrote: »
    Is Noel Gallagher the only support act ?

Yup, and based on Sunday in Twickenham he is all the support you'd need. Unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,991 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Sound quality was fantastic in Twickers

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭JKerova1

Anybody else driving to the gig? Can't get accommodation so just going to drive up and down. Any tips on the best place to park? Was thinking Luas but not sure how long they run until...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,511 ✭✭✭Wheety

JKerova1 wrote: »
    Anybody else driving to the gig? Can't get accommodation so just going to drive up and down. Any tips on the best place to park? Was thinking Luas but not sure how long they run until...

Luas runs until 00:30. Could park anywhere along the Luas line tbf. Not too far of a walk from Croker.

If parking in town, there's a big car park on Jervis Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Pinkman wrote: »
    I still can't get over the fact that they didn't add a second date when it became clear there would be no 3rd Croker gig this year. They are essentially throwing away €10m gate and after everything is paid for, probably a million for each member of the band. Crazy considering they are doing multiple nights in many other cities.

U2 shot themselves in the foot with the scheduling of the tour .
    They are playing in Barcelona next Tuesday and they didn't give themselves enough time to get the equipment from Barcelona to Dublin on time for the potential second gig ,which would have to take place on the Friday.
    They play Paris on the following Tuesday and Wednesday so Sunday was out for the 2nd gig.
    It's a minimum 32 hour journey by road and ferry from Barcelona to Dublin so it would mean they wouldn't get the equipment into Dublin until late Thursday at the earliest .
    The tour requires 64 semi-trailer trucks to transport equipment, along with nine buses to accommodate more than 100 crew members.
    Its just too tight a timeframe.

U2 shot themselves in the foot with the scheduling of the tour .
    They are playing in Barcelona next Tuesday and they didn't give themselves enough time to get the equipment from Barcelona to Dublin on time for the potential second gig ,which would have to take place on the Friday.
    They play Paris on the following Tuesday and Wednesday so Sunday was out for the 2nd gig.
    It's a minimum 32 hour journey by road and ferry from Barcelona to Dublin so it would mean they wouldn't get the equipment into Dublin until late Thursday at the earliest .
    The tour requires 64 semi-trailer trucks to transport equipment, along with nine buses to accommodate more than 100 crew members.
    Its just too tight a timeframe.

AFAIK they have always had at least 2 stage set up in the past.

Seve OB wrote: »

Yes ,that's correct ,and they still have 2 .
    They only have one screen ,sound system and lighting rig though ,that has always been the case.

I'm not sure how many trucks that uses ,but they could probably get it on a few planes and fly it in from Barcelona if they really wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Shybride2016

Wheety wrote: »
    Luas runs until 00:30. Could park anywhere along the Luas line tbf. Not too far of a walk from Croker.

If parking in town, there's a big car park on Jervis Street.

Apologies for off-topic but which luas stop is best to get off in town? Connolly?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Apologies for off-topic but which luas stop is best to get off in town? Connolly?

Thanks.

If you don't know Dublin that well, park in the red cow park and ride, and take the Luas into either bus aras or connolly (they're beside one another). The walk isn't 10 minutes from there to croker.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭lambayire

I was speaking to 2 people at separate times about the non 2nd night U2 gig.

One works at Croke Park and the other would be a well known music industry figure.

They both said that the Stones had a night reserved for Croker.
    The reason that gig dint happen is both bizarre and funny but I'm not revealing it here.

I would guess that because of this, U2 scheduled all the gigs around Croker based on the fact
    there would have been a Stones gig. And when that gig didn't happen, it was too late to
    add another show.

Is there any element of truth the rumour that U2 are only touring the Joshua Tree because they were
    contractually obliged to do so? Wasn't this supposed to be the Experience tour?

If you don't know Dublin that well, park in the red cow park and ride, and take the Luas into either bus aras or connolly (they're beside one another). The walk isn't 10 minutes from there to croker.

you are right, it isn't 10 minutes..... maybe 15 if you walk quick

lambayire wrote: »
    Wasn't this supposed to be the Experience tour?

no

songs of experience is likely to be released later in the year though and a tour will follow that

Yeah but wasn't Experience supposed to be released last year?
    And so they should have been touring it now?

Is there any element of truth the rumour that U2 are only touring the Joshua Tree because they were
    contractually obliged to do so? Wasn't this supposed to be the Experience tour?

Yes ,LiveNation supposedly demanded U2 do a new tour to generate revenue for them ,the 12 year contract ends in 2020 so I expect they are trying to get as much money wringed out of the band in the next few years.
    Joshua Tree tour this year and Experience tour in 2018/2019 .
    The Joshua Tree tour was supposed to be a small tour but it has expanded and is set to be the biggest tour of the year worldwide.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/business/7858100/u2-joshua-tree-tour-biggest-2017

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭aristotle25

Yeah but wasn't Experience supposed to be released last year?
    And so they should have been touring it now?

You are new to U2 aren't you ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,410 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Yes ,LiveNation supposedly demanded U2 do a new tour to generate revenue for them ,the 12 year contract ends in 2020 so I expect they are trying to get as much money wringed out of the band in the next few years.

The Joshua Tree is set to be the biggest tour of the year worldwide
    http://www.billboard.com/articles/business/7858100/u2-joshua-tree-tour-biggest-2017

Don't knw who the greeder bastards live nation or u2 ??

The band are multi millionares and live nation have billions

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Seve OB wrote: »

This is correct, ALL major bands on stadium tours have 2 rigs, while the band are playing 1 gig the other is being set up for a gig 2/3 days away, then when band finish the crew head off to the next gig whike the stage crew dismantle stage and head off on the next but one gig. It's the only way to do a tour of this scale. 2 Seperate stage crews, most bands will also have duplicate instruments too

https://twitter.com/Oly_Berlin/status/885138420556853248

I'd guess that the layout for Croke Park will be quite similar with the 2 pitch areas.

• Advertisement

Looks about right as per the Ticketmaster layout.
    I've noticed from some videos that despite being "sold out", the amount of free space from the sound tent back at Twickenham was crazy! It looked like a third empty.

Gone be the days

hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 38,410 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

looking at google maps id say i will get the luas too bus aras and walk too Croke Park from there
    maybe catch the 2nd half of the match in the brew dock or beresford hotel

https://crokepark.ie/news-and-events/u2-community-information

CONCERT DAY TIMINGS: SATURDAY, 22 JULY 2017

Full Garda Cordon* 3pm
    Doors Open* 5pm
    Main Act* 7pm
    Concert finished by 11pm
    *All timings may be subject to change by the promoter/An Garda Síochána

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Depends if there were pitch 1/2 tickets there. It looks awfully like your standard pit area.

Quick Google shows it's just the pit as there was only standard pitch tickets and the red zone :

https://d2o50i5c2dr30a.cloudfront.net/dcf406ca-03f2-472d-a1fa-e533ce758070.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Wooderson

In 2009 the space at the back of the standing area was enormous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Wooderson wrote: »
    In 2009 the space at the back of the standing area was enormous.

Yeah, I was in Davin one of the nights, and the acre of white plastic coupled with the crap sound meant you'd have been better standing outside with a bag a cans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Wooderson

UsedToWait wrote: »
    Yeah, I was in Davin one of the nights, and the acre of white plastic coupled with the crap sound meant you'd have been better standing outside with a bag a cans.

Yep, agreed. The huge expanse of white plastic flooring in front of the Davin is a slight buzzkill.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Shybride2016

Brilliant thanks. Know dublin very well, just not the nearest Luas stops to Croker!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

UsedToWait wrote: »

The sound was brutal where we were seated and no drinks were allowed into the arena (in our section anyway). I sat there bored, cold and sobering up. Put me off Croker for years.

Looks about right as per the Ticketmaster layout.
    I've noticed from some videos that despite being "sold out", the amount of free space from the sound tent back at Twickenham was crazy! It looked like a third empty.

na, mainly full
    there were a few sections with freee seats, but they would have been with restricted or no views at all so tickets most likely not on sale for those areas
    Depends if there were pitch 1/2 tickets there. It looks awfully like your standard pit area.

Quick Google shows it's just the pit as there was only standard pitch tickets and the red zone :

Not so sure about that. I was in Twickenham and not in the pit. But i was up level with the Tree stage and could have pushed up much further. I didn't bother as there was a group of us so I'm not sure where the pit started, but it certainly wasn't anywhere near that far back

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Yeah the pit would totally depend on the venue, but in that pic I linked above in conjunction with the live pic posted above in Germany last night, that was defo a pit barrier.

Advertisement