Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 Joshua Tree Tour 2017 / 2019 **No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

I'm quite proud that I've managed to not watch any videos from the tour so far! In fairness I know 95% of the set list is set in stone, but still!

So close now....be interesting this week to see if they do split the pitch in half... would love to get in the pit for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,991 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I'm quite proud that I've managed to not watch any videos from the tour so far! In fairness I know 95% of the set list is set in stone, but still!

So close now....be interesting this week to see if they do split the pitch in half... would love to get in the pit for this.

you are better off not watching any videos
    i didnt
    was glad
    it's not about the songs or the set list

it about just just going

WOW!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Wooderson

The album to one side, this band is good enough to put us on the edge of our seats both before and after. Yet they take a sum total of 29 songs in the bag for the full tour? What are we looking at... 3 alternatives for the whole thing? Homecoming for Bad, MW for Ultraviolet, Little Things for IWF?

Ah here, etc.

Im keen as mustard - like everyone - to see them bring the 2nd half of the album to life in Croker on Saturday... but the rest of the show leaves me cold as stone. People moan about U2 in Ireland - for pompousness, sanctimony and of course perceived hypocrisy surrounding tax. What annoys me about this band is their lack of willingness to take risks on stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭phonypony

Wooderson wrote: »
    The album to one side, this band is good enough to put us on the edge of our seats both before and after. Yet they take a sum total of 29 songs in the bag for the full tour? What are we looking at... 3 alternatives for the whole thing? Homecoming for Bad, MW for Ultraviolet, Little Things for IWF?

Ah here, etc.

Im keen as mustard - like everyone - to see them bring the 2nd half of the album to life in Croker on Saturday... but the rest of the show leaves me cold as stone. People moan about U2 in Ireland - for pompousness, sanctimony and of course perceived hypocrisy surrounding tax. What annoys me about this band is their lack of willingness to take risks on stage.

Agreed; I consider it as being the result of having a 'polished' production. So many backing tracks and visuals to be produced, a running order that's slick and rehearsed well, it's a difficult thing to do and is very limiting. I'd see this in itself as taking a risk, it annoys a lot of people.

I also think it's a result of modern attitudes and availability of gigs online. Think back to Outside Broadcast/ZooTV/Zooropa/Zoomerang. That covered almost two years with very little change in setlists and structure night after night. Similar situation with Popmart. If people had access to all those videos on YouTube back then, there would have been the same issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭mrk75

In fairness, they've never been that sort of band. They usually seem to agree what "the show" will be in terms of tunes and running order, get the visuals sorted to put around the tunes and then largely stick to it.

There'll maybe be room for a little improvisation but very little. On the I&E tour, the second song changed from night to night and maybe one or two on the b-stage. With all of the JT album this time around, there's less room for manoeuvre.

I guess it is what it is and it has been successful enough so far....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭q2xv9rjei4awgb

Ah here, etc.

Ending the gigs, with the Little Things That Give You Away.....

A new song, that hits home about internal struggle, depression, hopelessness, a song that hasn't even been released, a song 90% of the crowd will not know, off an album that will be their most important in almost 20 years, is not a risk?

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

If by risks you mean Bono climbing to the gantry of the stage, 50 feet in the air, waving a white flag, then I hate to tell you those days are long gone

Ending the gigs, with the Little Things That Give You Away.....

A new song, that hits home about internal struggle, depression, hopelessness, a song that hasn't even been released, a song 90% of the crowd will not know, off an album that will be their most important in almost 20 years, is not a risk?

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

If by risks you mean Bono climbing to the gantry of the stage, 50 feet in the air, waving a white flag, then I hate to tell you those days are long gone

Steady on chief. Relax.

Im not interested in any hijinx or anything you suggest. What I want is spontaneity. Something the band is more than capable of. This Cirque Du Soleil approach does them a disservice. IMO.

I hear ya, and would love them to throw out Acrobat and some songs from the MDH soundtrack, B sides, and even Passengers, but alas they're never gonna do that, especially on this tour. They're appeasing 80,000. Many of which are casuals who only know the hits. For that reason, Beautiful Day, Vertigo, and Elevation will always be there. They get the best reaction too, so it's hard to argue with.

In fairness we are getting 7 rarely or never played before songs, 8 if you include the Little Things. I'm more than happy with the setlist as is.

Ah here, etc.

My guess is that you Still Haven't Found What You're Looking For :D

• Registered Users Posts: 38,410 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I'm a bigish fan of the band (90% a casual fan) and particularly the hits and would rather hear them than some obscure songs. I love the Joshua Tree album and and this tour is made for me, i like the other songs that are on the set but would rather 1 or 2 songs be there instead but I heard them on the I&E tour

Coming out of the 3arena in 2015 I could say to myself 'i still haven't found what im looking for cause they didn't do some songs id like too hear but hopefully coming out of Croke Park i can say 'i found what im looking for'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Steady on chief. Relax.

Im not interested in any hijinx or anything you suggest. What I want is spontaneity. Something the band is more than capable of. This Cirque Du Soleil approach does them a disservice. IMO.

Agreed.. they have enough leeway on the parts of the show before and after JT to mix it up a bit with the setlist. But as someone said before, they have been doing these highly choreographed shows for decades now, and they're not going to change now. Especially the one city visits on this tour.

I really think they've nailed the setlist. My mate is a casual enough fan, and almost lost his sh!t when he saw it, "they're playing ALL those?!". I've heard similar reactions from people who've not been lucky enough to see them. The starting 4 songs are all massive, then the WHOLE Joshua Tree, followed by more stonewall massive hits. Really hard to argue with.

Concerns over setlists have been ongoing all my life. Not just with U2 but, with every band I follow.

I'm a massive U2 fan and, I'm a massive fan of the original Quo line up. I'd love to hear U2 play Electric Co. Acrobat, Love Is Blindness, Stay, Two Hearts Beat As One, Discotheque, Magnificent instead of Pride, SBS, MW, Elevation etc
    Same with Quo..(Although, I got that on the reunion tours :D )

Point is, every hardcore fan is like that but, you really think casuals would stand for it and be impressed by it? Hell no they wouldn't!
    It's a sad thing to say about one of the biggest and most important bands in the history of music but, **** all people actually know anything past song 3 on The Joshua Tree.

Anyone I know, who is not big into U2 like me who is going, hasn't a clue what RTSS, In God's Country, Trip Through Your Wires, Exit, RHMT, Mothers even sound like...In fact, I doubt they even know what Bullet sounds like.

As hardcore fans, we're getting a new track that hasn't even been released yet, possibly ASOHC, Bad (Never gets old) possibly IWF (Never gets old) the entire second half of the JT and Ultraviolet, which has rarely been played in the last 25 years.

I think they did Two Hearts Beat As One on the US leg of the I&E tour one evening and it went down well with the hardcore fans but lost most of the audience. Similar story with Crystal Ballroom and also Your Blue Room (on the 360 tour).

Heartland or Acrobat (we can always hope!) would be amazing but you also just know they'd fall a bit flat and are they really going to be so enjoyable for the few who would enjoy hearing them when the rest of the crowd are shuffling their feet, elbowing past them to get to the bar or nattering to their mates?

Wish California was still in the set

It gets a snippet the odd time. Never really settled into even last tours list! Love the song though.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,410 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

this is last nights setlist for Rome night 2 and ill break it down too see where the possible lull will be
    Sunday Bloody Sunday
    New Year's Day
    A Sort of Homecoming
    Pride (In the Name of Love)
    Where The Streets Have No Name / California (There Is No End To Love) [snippet]
    I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
    With Or Without You
    Bullet The Blue Sky
    Running To Stand Still
    Red Hill Mining Town
    In God's Country
    Trip Through Your Wires
    One Tree Hill

Exit / Wise Blood (snippet)
    Mothers Of The Disappeared
    Miss Sarajevo

Beautiful Day / Starman (snippet)
    Elevation
    Vertigo / Live Forever (snippet)
    Mysterious Ways / Miss You (snippet)
    Ultraviolet (Light My Way)
    One
    The songs starting with Exit and ending with Miss Sarajevo are the ones where the lull could happen imo and sum people may lose interest.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    this is last nights setlist for Rome night 2 and ill break it down too see where the possible lull will be
    Sunday Bloody Sunday
    New Year's Day
    A Sort of Homecoming
    Pride (In the Name of Love)
    Where The Streets Have No Name / California (There Is No End To Love) [snippet]
    I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
    With Or Without You
    Bullet The Blue Sky
    Running To Stand Still
    Red Hill Mining Town
    In God's Country
    Trip Through Your Wires
    One Tree Hill

Exit / Wise Blood (snippet)
    Mothers Of The Disappeared
    Miss Sarajevo

Beautiful Day / Starman (snippet)
    Elevation
    Vertigo / Live Forever (snippet)
    Mysterious Ways / Miss You (snippet)
    Ultraviolet (Light My Way)
    One
    The songs starting with Exit and ending with Miss Sarajevo are the ones where the lull could happen imo and sum people may lose interest.

Won't begin with Exit...Everyone saying it's the highlight of the tour

It certainly will though two songs later...Lots of confusion over that been included

I cannot wait to see Exit live!!! Man, so so excited. Have to try and drag my casual fan mates in early in the hope of a pit spot...

I didn't really think there was any kind of lull, maybe cause I was a good bit forward on the pitch, but most people around seemed to know their stuff, but if anything the Joshua Tree songs from Red Hill on were certainly lost a bit on some people.

• Advertisement

I cannot wait to see Exit live!!! Man, so so excited. Have to try and drag my casual fan mates in early in the hope of a pit spot...

there is no pit dude

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

It gets a snippet the odd time. Never really settled into even last tours list! Love the song though.

Where is this snippet in streets? I always miss it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

Seve OB wrote: »
    I didn't really think there was any kind of lull, maybe cause I was a good bit forward on the pitch, but most people around seemed to know their stuff, but if anything the Joshua Tree songs from Red Hill on were certainly lost a bit on some people.

Thankfully I was around people who either knew their stuff, or were simply enjoying the "side b" songs so there didn't seem to be any dip in interest or excitement. Everyone seemed to be absolutely obsessed with everything that was happening on the stage and on the screen.

Thankfully I was around people who either knew their stuff, or were simply enjoying the "side b" songs so there didn't seem to be any dip in interest or excitement. Everyone seemed to be absolutely obsessed with everything that was happening on the stage and on the screen.

yea the screen will certainly keep people interested. if you have nothing to latch on to and don't know the songs, yea you may loose interest, but really, there is something there al the way through the show to keep everyones attention

Yeah, I didn't detect much of a loss of interest in London. The large screen definitely helped in that you could hardly help but look at it and what it was showing. Indeed, it was even more impressive the further back you went and we went to the back for most of the encore section.

I also think the front-loading of some "greatest hits" at the start sorta buys the band a certain amount of "credit" when it comes to the quieter bits.

Anyway, there's no real excuses for anyone losing interest for me. It's the Joshua Tree tour; familiarise yourself with the album if you need to - it should be no real surprise there's some slower moments.

Seve OB wrote: »
    there is no pit dude

I'd be shocked if there was no pit. As someone else mentioned, it's always in Irish gigs, they simply don't trust us to be safe, friggin animals that we are!

Yea, I would love to see some tunes dropped, SBS has been played to death at this stage, it's great and all, but as the posted said above, to hear something like Acrobat would be awesome, In a Little While, Yahweh, When I look at the World, So Cruel to Heartland (great shout) and Your Blue Room, All Because of You, .... the list is endless - well ok, not quite endless, but you could do a crazy setlist if I don't Go Crazy Tonight. That would be unreal. But while we know them, the rest of the crowd won't and that where a lull may happen. U2 know they have to keep the crowd on a hook and they gotta play tunes that pretty much everyone knows, so they do it.

Oh I though Sarajevo was good, but they should have gotten an image of Luchiano up on screen for his part, that would have been excellent and got the crowd going a bit more. Now the version was lacking something though, not my favourite rendition, but still a fantastic song. HAHA, I'm just listening to it now actually and Bono jumped in to early on Pav, didn't spot that on the night!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I'd be shocked if there was no pit. As someone else mentioned, it's always in Irish gigs, they simply don't trust us to be safe, friggin animals that we are!

Pitch 2 is the Pit ,I thought that was pretty obvious.

Pitch 2 is the Pit ,I thought that was pretty obvious.

This is the pit, yep. Usual nonsense at Irish shows.

• Advertisement

Yeah looking back at the seating chart it really does seem to be the pit. Ye pitch 2 buggers have it sorted. Swing on up at 7pm for front row! Wonder if there will be some extra pit passes for early arrivals. Surely, as the crazies will have been queueing all night for front row.

Advertisement