Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 Joshua Tree Tour 2017 / 2019 **No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

The screen is enourmous - so back of Pitch 2 or up front of Pitch 1 would be perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Pitch 2 is the Pit ,I thought that was pretty obvious.
    This was obvious to me, and all those I know who got or were looking to get tickets. However this was a previous post of his, I found this post so hard to believe I thought it might be a windup -or just a wild exagerration to get the point across.
    I've been to 100s of gigs, and loads of U2 gigs. This is the first time I've seen this random first come first served pot luck with pitch "pits". It's ridiculous.

As for the other point. I know loads going to this gig. None of them are aware of the separate pitch enclosures, mainly cos they all bought tickets randomly and through friends/contacts and just assumed like every gig going person for the past 40 years that a pitch ticket is a pitch ticket.

Glad you are so understanding of ticketmaster's bullsh!t policies though.

How many was "loads"? Not sure what is meant by "randomly" but I would have thought some would have seen the seating images which is very clear. For those not buying tickets themselves I find it strange that those selling would neglect to mention the pitch 1/2 thing (unless they also all did not cop it).

16603s.jpg

I said before I reckon they were the same price so as not to appear to be ripping off people. I see it as a type of lottery, those lucky enough to get the pitch2/pit tickets did not have to waste half a day queuing up, or pay well over the odds on hiked up prices. The whole principle of queuing for stuff like this always seemed so needlessly wasteful to me. I would rather see this lottery type system or higher prices for pit tickets than people wasting their precious time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

Was there not a similar divide in Berlin? There looked to be a barrier going across, similar to the Pitch 1 / Pitch 2 setup in Croker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

rubadub wrote: »
    This was obvious to me, and all those I know who got or were looking to get tickets. However this was a previous post of his, I found this post so hard to believe I thought it might be a windup -or just a wild exagerration to get the point across.

How many was "loads"? Not sure what is meant by "randomly" but I would have thought some would have seen the seating images which is very clear. For those not buying tickets themselves I find it strange that those selling would neglect to mention the pitch 1/2 thing (unless they also all did not cop it).

16603s.jpg

I said before I reckon they were the same price so as not to appear to be ripping off people. I see it as a type of lottery, those lucky enough to get the pitch2/pit tickets did not have to waste half a day queuing up, or pay well over the odds on hiked up prices. The whole principle of queuing for stuff like this always seemed so needlessly wasteful to me. I would rather see this lottery type system or higher prices for pit tickets than people wasting their precious time.

You really wanna go there again, for the 3rd time?

It's a ridiculous system, and yes, a complete lottery, rather than rewarding those who wanna queue or show up early and CHOOSE to "waste" their precious time, instead of relying on a ticketbastard lottery system.

But yeah, lets debate it again shall we? Cos you really do see a little slow on the uptake.

Veloce wrote: »
    Was there not a similar divide in Berlin? There looked to be a barrier going across, similar to the Pitch 1 / Pitch 2 setup in Croker.
    It looked like there was, a very similar one. I imagine they did have a queueing system with wristbands or whatever, like lots of gigs do. Maybe they did not want thousands of people outside croke park for hours beforehand. They might not be as mad in Germany, or as rowdy as crowds here could be. Last thing the want to do it piss off the residents.

• Advertisement

You really wanna go there again, for the 3rd time?
    Not really, I don't believe your post that I quoted, and doubt anybody else does either.

Not really, I don't believe your post, and doubt anybody else does either.

You don't believe? This isn't debate, it's fact. The system was a lottery, you yourself said that. It's a rubbish system, and one that has never been used at a U2 gig before, or any other gig I've ever been to.

You don't believe?
    I do not believe your claim that 100% of the "loads" of people you know going were completely unaware of the pitch 1/2 setup. I think you are a liar and so could not be arsed arguing with a liar. I doubt anybody believed your wild claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,991 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

just because something wasn't used before doesn't mean it is wrong to try it out or that its a bad system. doesnt mean its right either but things have to be investigated to see how they operate and so that we can learn from them.

I do not believe your claim that 100% of the "loads" of people you know going were completely unaware of the pitch 1/2 setup. I think you are a liar and so could not be arsed arguing with a liar. I doubt anybody believed your wild claim.

fair point. i think everyone here was most definately aware of the pitch divide

• Advertisement

You want me to get you their numbers? So you can call them? How is it hard to believe? "hey lads, ye want to go to U2? Standing tickets? got 4, put you down for 1?"

At no stage does anyone discuss this pitch 2/pitch 1 thing cos it has never ever come up. Unless the guy buying looks at the seating chart, which again is extremely rare to be required to do, when buying STANDING tickets(see what I did there? Seating chart?) then he just gets pitch 1, or pitch 2, thinking they are all the same. Countless times gigs have GA1, GA2, or weird numbers on them, but the tickets are all the same, standing.

Maybe this is the first gig you are going to, so it doesn't resonate as much with you.

Come Saturday there will be a massive amount of seriously disgruntled fans, and rightly so IMO, if this stupid system is put in place, so don't say you weren't warned.

But keep yer head in the sand there buddy.

Seve OB wrote: »
    just because something wasn't used before doesn't mean it is wrong to try it out or that its a bad system. doesnt mean its right either but things have to be investigated to see how they operate and so that we can learn from them.

It's a lottery. It completely does away with the age old idea of first come first served. If you fail to see the fault in that, then forget it.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭starWave

It's a lottery. It completely does away with the age old idea of first come first served. If you fail to see the fault in that, then forget it.

Anyone in the presale, was first come, first served, and they had a choice of tickets. It's a nice bonus of being a long time subscriber.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭mrk75

No ideal way of doing these things. I remember the Vertigo tour when it was suggested the band were sick of seeking the same faces at the front all the time so there was a system created whereby, when your ticket was scanned in at the gate, you might be lucky enough for it to be a "pit" ticket - inside the "heart", as it was.

This meant people coming in with minutes to go could randomly get up close and personal. It probably kept things interesting for the band too.

I was lucky enough to benefit from it at MSG and was delighted. Not sure if it was entirely random or if there was some formula whereby they gave some recognition to those on the membership list and/or who had travelled some distance but there it is...
    So, there's two sides to the "first come, first served" argument.

starWave wrote: »
    Anyone in the presale, was first come, first served, and they had a choice of tickets. It's a nice bonus of being a long time subscriber.

I was in the presale. As were many on a fan club I use, and none of them got Pitch 2 either. It was pure lottery and they only released the pitch 2 tickets in dribs and drabs, with very few in the presale.

mrk75 wrote: »
    No ideal way of doing these things. I remember the Vertigo tour when it was suggested the band were sick of seeking the same faces at the front all the time so there was a system created whereby, when your ticket was scanned in at the gate, you might be lucky enough for it to be a "pit" ticket - inside the "heart", as it was.

This meant people coming in with minutes to go could randomly get up close and personal. It probably kept things interesting for the band too.

I was lucky enough to benefit from it at MSG and was delighted. Not sure if it was entirely random or if there was some formula whereby they gave some recognition to those on the membership list and/or who had travelled some distance but there it is...
    So, there's two sides to the "first come, first served" argument.

I think that's absolute madness. If those crazies wanna queue all night, then fair enough. They should at least get front row.

The system where the crazies design their own queueing system is a mess though for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Wooderson

I was in the presale. As were many on a fan club I use, and none of them got Pitch 2 either. It was pure lottery and they only released the pitch 2 tickets in dribs and drabs, with very few in the presale.

This is correct. Myself and mate going had no access to Pitch2 when we logged in first thing on the Thursday - so we bought Pitch1. A lad in work connected two hours later and got Pitch2.

The two tickets have different entrances which grinds my gears JP. Do you reckon by showing around 2/3pm on Sat round by the P2 entrance you'll get in?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭lazer.blue

I think that's absolute madness. If those crazies wanna queue all night, then fair enough. They should at least get front row.

The system where the crazies design their own queueing system is a mess though for sure.

It will be interesting to see how the fan/crazies queue goes at Croke Park. Turning up at some unofficially prearranged location anything up to 2 days before the show to be given a number and then coming back a few hours before the show to take up your allocated place in the 'queue' is not queuing in my view. Given that queuing in Ireland can be different than other countries and Irish peoples aversion to being told what to do by officialdom, let alone some self appointed controller, it could get interesting on Saturday.

Wooderson wrote: »
    This is correct. Myself and mate going had no access to Pitch2 when we logged in first thing on the Thursday - so we bought Pitch1. A lad in work connected two hours later and got Pitch2.

The two tickets have different entrances which grinds my gears JP. Do you reckon by showing around 2/3pm on Sat round by the P2 entrance you'll get in?

Exactly the same. We got pitch 1. Didn't wanna wait as some presale people had seen no standing tickets at all available, so we went with them. A few hours later, Pitch 2 were suddenly available. Good old ticketbastard. But hey we're the wrong for questioning this mighty method.

I think the only chance of getting pitch 2 on the day is if you get in early around 5pm and there's more space in the pit than they thought, and they start handing out wristbands on a first come basis, you know, like the good old days :pac:

lazer.blue wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see how the fan/crazies queue goes at Croke Park. Turning up at some unofficially prearranged location anything up to 2 days before the show to be given a number and then coming back a few hours before the show to take up your allocated place in the 'queue' is not queuing in my view. Given that queuing in Ireland can be different than other countries and Irish peoples aversion to being told what to do by officialdom, let alone some self appointed controller, it could get interesting on Saturday.

This system has been in operation at many shows - including both Springsteen shows at this venue last year. It was supported (encouraged?) by security/venue staff.

• Advertisement

This system has been in operation at many shows - including both Springsteen shows at this venue last year. It was supported (encouraged?) by security/venue staff.

doesn't make it right

• Registered Users Posts: 5,511 ✭✭✭Wheety

I have pitch 2 and I'm planning on staying near the back of it. Should be a great view and a bit of room too.

Wheety wrote: »
    I have pitch 2 and I'm planning on staying near the back of it. Should be a great view and a bit of room too.

:pac::pac:

Top trolling! **hattip mate**

I think I might take Wheety's advice and do the same :P Glorious big screen viewed as it should be, from afar :pac: Less arm pulling to get the lads in early too!

doesn't make it right

If Pitch2 tickets had been more expensive we'd not have an issue. But theyre the same price as rest of standing. A nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭weadick

Anyone used Eccles Street as a car park for a Croke Pk concert?

If Pitch2 tickets had been more expensive we'd not have an issue. But theyre the same price as rest of standing. A nonsense.

I've said it before, a traditional pit was always same price as anywhere else on the pitch.

I've said it before, a traditional pit was always same price as anywhere else on the pitch.

And we've said it before, but no prizes for stating why it's not a traditional pit this time??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

Stage Times on Croke Park's Twitter account in the past hour:

Gates: 5pm

Noel G: 7pm

U2: 8.40pm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Amazed a 2nd date wasn't added - was that due to a restriction on the number of shows allowed at the venue per annum or a logistics issue with U2 themselves?

Advertisement