Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 Joshua Tree Tour 2017 / 2019 **No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

All great tunes of course, however, I do not think that there will be songs not from JT played during the JT set. I could be wrong but a tour of an album would be just the album and maybe a few other hits at the end for an encore. Hard to say but could one end up being disappointed at the lenght of the gig, JT runs about 50 mins would expect them to stretch that out a bit make it at least an hour, then 30 minutes of Bono talking sh.ite and we're done.

I'd reckon it would be Joshua Tree in full, possibly reworked slightly for a live setting with visuals and other fluff, that's gonna be an hour, then they'll likely sod off for an interval and then I'd expect another 45 mins to at most an hour of a greatest hits package. That's generally how these things work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭q2xv9rjei4awgb

I think U2 have disappointed a lot of genuine fans today.They've just taken the first step towards heritage status.I was expecting the 'EXPERIENCE' part of the tour to be performed this year.

They've now postponed the new album due to 'recent world events'..What a cop out, considering the album is all but done.This is a major crisis of confidence from a band who are trying to gloss over it with a fairly lame marketing gimmick.

Springsteen and Pearl Jam are two acts who regularly incorporate whole albums into the middle of their set lists. U2 could easily have performed The Joshua Tree in addition to the new songs.That would have been unbelievable for real fans who've been expecting Songs of Experience to drop for months now.

U2 are the one band, over the last 40 years, that HAVEN'T traded on their past.

The Rolling Stones, Springsteen, Stone Roses, Axl Rose, Fleetwood Mac, AC/DC, etc etc are far more guilty of that than U2 ever could be. U2 have tried to be relevant and adventurous with their music on many occasions. Their tour productions constantly break down barriers and the mere fact that they constantly up near 7 songs in the live set, from each new album, speaks volumes.

OK, they do it now. So what? They've earned the right to do it. They've been one of the biggest and one of the best. If this is where they want to go, then all power to them.

They're not 28 years of age anymore, flying to Berlin, to try and change the music landscape forever. That stage of their career is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

I'd reckon it would be Joshua Tree in full, possibly reworked slightly for a live setting with visuals and other fluff, that's gonna be an hour, then they'll likely sod off for an interval and then I'd expect another 45 mins to at most an hour of a greatest hits package. That's generally how these things work.

I could live with that, plus I seen Noel Gallagher's HFB in Manchester, they were excellent, he sang a few Oasis songs including Whatever, so this could turn out to be an epic gig :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Don't think you'll get a presale code if you subscribe after the tour is announced. Not fair on people who are regular subscribers

The boys only care about one thing $$$$$,they made that decision when they hired Oseary as their manager and signed with Live Nation.

No way should you be able to sign up after the tour announcement to get presale access .
    For the US gigs you can even buy a membership addon bundle off Ticketmaster on Thursday ,the same time as the Wires Group Presale starts,that's ludicrous.

Snarky Snark Snark

I could live with that, plus I seen Noel Gallagher's HFB in Manchester, they were excellent, he sang a few Oasis songs including Whatever, so this could turn out to be an epic gig :D:D:D

He put on a really good show at EP this year, his gig will depend on how the crowd react to him, if the crowd are up for him (which i'd assume on a hopefully sunny evening with a couple of pints down then they would be) then it'll be decent.

Counting chickens before hatchin though, need to get tickets first..., quite surprised at the fact they're letting people buy tickets in blocks of 8, that's just not on anymore.

• Advertisement

He put on a really good show at EP this year, his gig will depend on how the crowd react to him, if the crowd are up for him (which i'd assume on a hopefully sunny evening with a couple of pints down then they would be) then it'll be decent.

Counting chickens before hatchin though, need to get tickets first..., quite surprised at the fact they're letting people buy tickets in blocks of 8, that's just not on anymore.

thought it was 4 in the presale?

Snarky Snark Snark

thought it was 4 in the presale?

tis, but 8 in the general, so it's going to be the usual ticketbastard* massacre come monday morning followed by the 1:30PM wail of "joooooo joooooooo! i just whaaaanted a ticket for de kiddies jooooo but they were all sold out...." (talk to whineline, **** that, here's 20C, call the samaritans, they might give a sh1te)

*a right shower of cnuts!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

€70! nice one! was expecting more!
    cheapest are €76, and if ordering online there will be up to 6.85 on top of that. And those are the cheapest in the range, often a handful of crap seats, expect standing to be a higher price, and with the 6.85 on top.

these were prices for beyonce in croke park (not including the 6.85)
    : Standing tickets (Sold Out) cost €104.00, Gold Circle (Sold Out) cost €114.00 and seats prices
    range from €49.50 to €144

The 6.85 per ticket is a bargain :rolleyes:, just check out the satisfied customer over in consumer issues raving about them http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=102212190#post102212190
    Don't think you'll get a presale code if you subscribe after the tour is announced. Not fair on people who are regular subscribers
    In past years people got them, I know several people who paid for this explicit & blatant touting/gouging "fan club" after signing up with days to go
    JT runs about 50 mins would expect them to stretch that out a bit make it at least an hour, then 30 minutes of Bono talking sh.ite and we're done.
    I have been to several "album" gigs of other bands and they always played plenty of extra songs, and these were in smaller venues with stricter time limits where you would expect shorter gig lengths.

ticket setup shown here
    16591s.jpg

so standing seems to be split in 3, pitch 1, pitch 2 and red zone. The red zone are €315.00 + up to 6.85

"Seated Gold Hot Ticket" €314.50 (+6.85)

http://www.u2gigs.com/
    For regular tickets, prices in North America will range from $35 to $280, with slight variation between cities. On continental Europe, there will be similar minor variation between cities with prices around €40 to €180, with GA €75. In the UK, prices - which in this instance are inclusive of fees - range from £40.30 to £187, with GA £78.25.
    There are also VIP packages. These too will vary slightly in price between shows, so I will use the Dublin prices. Like other recent tours, this one features a Red Zone, €315, with a portion of the costs going to the Red charity; ticketholders will have entry to their own zone close to the stage and the chance to be selected for a backstage tour. There will also be a Gold Hot Ticket, €314.50, with premium reserved seats in the stands, an exclusive item of merchandise, and a commemorative lanyard; a Silver Hot Ticket, €220.65, with similar benefits but seats slightly further from the front; and VIP Travel Experience Packages, €995-1,990, which include a reserved seat within the first 15 rows, 4-star hotel accommodation, shuttle to the show, a private catered pre-show reception, and the chance to be selected for a backstage tour.

Lanyard!!!
    giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

It is probably worth the 50 bucks if it guarantees you a ticket or 4.

Ya that was my thinking at least. Had to leave my job at Christmas to study for exams so wasn't easy parting with €50 with potentially nothing to show for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,402 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Seems like only the other day the ticket mania started for the Irish I&E shows in 2015

Trying for Hogan Stand tickets as the Cusack Stand side is a bit of pain, The main bars for Concerts are located in the huge space down the big set of steps by the musuem (for Bruce Springsteen certain drinks ran out so you had to go to different kiosks to get them)

Songs Of Experience to come out in the Autumn and then the Joshua Tree will head down under for a few shows in Jan/Feb 2018 and the SOE world tour will commence in 2018 and will run up until the middle of 2019 ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,560 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I assume they will do a 2nd date at CP

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Yes,they will highly likely add a second gig at all of the European venues .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

U2 are the one band, over the last 40 years, that HAVEN'T traded on their past.

The Rolling Stones, Springsteen, Stone Roses, Axl Rose, Fleetwood Mac, AC/DC, etc etc are far more guilty of that than U2 ever could be. U2 have tried to be relevant and adventurous with their music on many occasions. Their tour productions constantly break down barriers and the mere fact that they constantly up near 7 songs in the live set, from each new album, speaks volumes.

OK, they do it now. So what? They've earned the right to do it. They've been one of the biggest and one of the best. If this is where they want to go, then all power to them.

They're not 28 years of age anymore, flying to Berlin, to try and change the music landscape forever. That stage of their career is over.

I have no problem with the band trading on their past.This would have been fantastic in 2007 when U2 were in a lean spell between albums.

Bono advised listeners to stay tuned for 'Songs of Experience ' since the night 'Songs of Innocence' was released.The band were eager to promote The concept of a 2 part album/tour cycle.

Since the end of 2015 fans have been led to believe that the album is in the can and its release is imminent.Much of this speculation was fuelled by the band themselves.

Now,in a new Rolling Stone article, the Edge is casting doubt on whether the thing will even see the light of day,while the tour concept has clearly been abandoned.

I wholeheartedly agree that U2 has earned the right to become a legacy act.Now might be the time to stop making promises to those who actually still care about their future as a creative force.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

I think 2 is a certainty, the question is can they manage to swing getting 3. And yes I am fully aware coldplay are playing a few weeks before, and was aware of the supposed 3 gig limit back in 2009

For regular tickets, prices in North America will range from $35 to $280

$280 plus fees of ~40 dollars ,so $320 ,that's insane .
    I dont think I have ever seen such a price for a stadium concert ,there is no justification for those prices.
    I think 2 is a certainty, the question is can they manage to swing getting 3.

There is no possibility of a third gig ,there arent enough free dates around that weekend.
    The schedule looks like 2 nights on ,2 nights off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭q2xv9rjei4awgb

I have no problem with the band trading on their past.This would have been fantastic in 2007 when U2 were in a lean spell between albums.

Bono advised listeners to stay tuned for 'Songs of Experience ' since the night 'Songs of Innocence' was released.The band were eager to promote The concept of a 2 part album/tour cycle.

Since the end of 2015 fans have been led to believe that the album is in the can and its release is imminent.Much of this speculation was fuelled by the band themselves.

Now,in a new Rolling Stone article, the Edge is casting doubt on whether the thing will even see the light of day,while the tour concept has clearly been abandoned.

I wholeheartedly agree that U2 has earned the right to become a legacy act.Now might be the time to stop making promises to those who actually still care about their future as a creative force.

Wouldn't listen to any of them, except for Larry. Read that article today. Rolled my eyes at it.

Creative force can mean two things. However, I know, being a fan myself, what fans expect from U2.

What I will say is the following.....

October gets panned, U2 ditch their echo and delay sound and record the punk inspired War, given the fingers to the critics

Rattle and Hum gets panned, U2 ditch the American rock vibe and record their best album, that is heavily influenced by rhythm loops, industrial dance music and Fools Gold, given the fingers to the critics.

Pop (unfairly) gets panned....U2 ditch their electronic sound and return a safer, middle of the road, radio friendly pop sound......Songs were very good.

With the exception of one or two tracks on Horizon, they haven't tried anything really in terms of different sounds. And that's coming from someone who loves 99% of their stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭eldest200

I need some help for the pre sale tickets. When you get tickets on their site do you use your credit card for payment (when tickets go on pre sale). When I signed up for the upgrade I didn't use my own card. I'll be away on Wednesday morning and wont be able to get the details. If I wait until the afternoon will there still be tickets left?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Wouldn't listen to any of them, except for Larry. Read that article today. Rolled my eyes at it

Ha exactly! Any U2 fan will tell you to take any "album announcements" with a jar of salt. Songs of Ascent was due out in 09!

I was all for them pushing the boundaries, and becoming "relevant" but in fairness they haven't had a hit album since 2001. Vertigo was the last hit song in 2005. They're fast approaching retirement (in relation to trying to release another achtung or joshua). I'm kinda at one with the idea of this tour. I listened to the album today, and the idea of them playing all those songs live, back to back, with 80,000 backing singers, gives me goosebumps.

If we get a new album and it's purely them doing music to their liking while not trying to please the world, then win win! I'll settle for this for now.

There is no possibility of a third gig ,there arent enough free dates around that weekend.
    Are they taken? in the "gigs of 2017" thread a guy was talking of several possible dates for the second gig.

the croke park fixtures shows 16th & 29th july taken, though I am totally clueless about GAA so maybe more are on the cards.

https://crokepark.ie/match-day/2017-season-fixtures

current confirmed dates (probably 1 to be added to each venue)
    15 July 2017 Rome Italy Stadio Olimpico
    18 July 2017 Barcelona Spain Estadi Olímpic Lluís Companys
    22 July 2017 Dublin Ireland Croke Park
    25 July 2017 Paris France Stade de France
    29 July 2017 Amsterdam Netherlands Amsterdam Arena

If anywhere was to get 3 gigs, and not a 2 day break, my money would be here (unless the 3 gig rule is properly enforced).

I think people are underestimating the potential appeal for this gig, so do think the presale is advisable more than other years. Some people calliing themselves "true fans" are put off at the potential of no newer album tracks. It is not just a 30th anniversary of the album but the gig, in the same venue 30 years on. I was there in 87 (albeit quite young at the time) along with several posters here, and imagine many in my age bracket or older would be far more interested in the guarantee of hearing "older stuff" without the "risk" of it being newer stuff that is unknown to them, or new stuff which possibly turned them off U2.

I listened to the album today, and the idea of them playing all those songs live, back to back, with 80,000 backing singers, gives me goosebumps.
    Out of interest would you prefer this gig to be in 3arena or croke park? hypothetically assuming ticket availability was the exact same, so not a factor.

I am always puzzled how they get away with high prices for stadium gigs but it might seem some prefer them for the "big crowd" effect.

If this was in 3arena I would have far more interest in going.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,402 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

rubadub wrote: »
    Are they taken? in the "gigs of 2017" thread a guy was talking of several possible dates for the second gig.

the croke park fixtures shows 16th & 29th july taken, though I am totally clueless about GAA so maybe more are on the cards.

https://crokepark.ie/match-day/2017-season-fixtures

current confirmed dates (probably 1 to be added to each venue)
    15 July 2017 Rome Italy Stadio Olimpico
    18 July 2017 Barcelona Spain Estadi Olímpic Lluís Companys
    22 July 2017 Dublin Ireland Croke Park
    25 July 2017 Paris France Stade de France
    29 July 2017 Amsterdam Netherlands Amsterdam Arena

If anywhere was to get 3 gigs, and not a 2 day break, my money would be here (unless the 3 gig rule is properly enforced).

I think people are underestimating the potential appeal for this gig, so do think the presale is advisable more than other years. Some people calliing themselves "true fans" are put off at the potential of no newer album tracks. It is not just a 30th anniversary of the album but the gig, in the same venue 30 years on. I was there in 87 (albeit quite young at the time) along with several posters here, and imagine many in my age bracket or older would be far more interested in the guarantee of hearing "older stuff" without the "risk" of it being newer stuff that is unknown to them, or new stuff which possibly turned them off U2.

Out of interest would you prefer this gig to be in 3arena or croke park? hypothetically assuming ticket availability was the exact same, so not a factor.

I am always puzzled how they get away with high prices for stadium gigs but it might seem some prefer them for the "big crowd" effect.

If there extra Croke Park dates added id say it will be Thursday 20th July or Friday 21st July. Dont think the extra date will be the Sunday (23rd July) as the crew will have to be in Paris by then to start putting the stage up there

I enjoyed u2 so much when i saw them in the 3arena in 2015 that i intend to see them at least once on every tour they play over here and always wanted too see them in Croke Park (love the venue). Obv there will be a lot of bandwagoners at stadium gigs who are there cause its popular and people who get free tickets that have no interest in being there who spend half the gig at the bar and ruin the gig for real fans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

I think the limit of 8 tickets means it's going to sell out when it goes on sale but there'll be loads of tickets floating around in the week before the gig.

eldest200 wrote: »
    I need some help for the pre sale tickets. When you get tickets on their site do you use your credit card for payment (when tickets go on pre sale). When I signed up for the upgrade I didn't use my own card. I'll be away on Wednesday morning and wont be able to get the details. If I wait until the afternoon will there still be tickets left?

Makes no difference which card you used to subscribe to U2 dot com, the tickets are being sold on ticketmaster, all you need is the code.
    Plus you could create an account on ticketmaster now with your details and then just log in at the sale time and all the info be there waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,991 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

PTH2009 wrote: »
    If there extra Croke Park dates added id say it will be Thursday 20th July or Friday 21st July. Dont think the extra date will be the Sunday (23rd July) as the crew will have to be in Paris by then to start putting the stage up there

I enjoyed u2 so much when i saw them in the 3arena in 2015 that i intend to see them at least once on every tour they play over here and always wanted too see them in Croke Park (love the venue). Obv there will be a lot of bandwagoners at stadium gigs who are there cause its popular and people who get free tickets that have no interest in being there who spend half the gig at the bar and ruin the gig for real fans

The stage will be going up in Paris while they are doing the soundcheck in Dublin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭OU812

PTH2009 wrote: »

U2 have operated a "Rolling Stage" since the early days. They always had one travelling ahead to the next destination in order to maximise production.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Anyone know if a presale password will work for different locations? If I want to get tickets for Dublin and Vancouver?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

rubadub wrote: »

Much prefer it to be in Croker. I was massively disappointed with the 3Arena last time around. It was my first visit there. Didn't like the layout or the big openings around the back for standing. It felt weird and sucked the atmosphere out. It's hardly "intimate" either. I prefer standing, so I'll probably be as close to the band at Croker than I was there.

The Vertigo show I was at there was spectacularly good. The bigger the better thank you! (unless of course you're talking proper intimacy like under 1,000 :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭cathalj

Anyone know if a presale password will work for different locations? If I want to get tickets for Dublin and Vancouver?

Short answer yes..... see F.A.Q.'s on U2.com ..... entitles you to four tickets (availability permitting) in any combination - eg: two each for two shows , one each for four shows etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭cathalj

I'm looking for tickets for Amsterdam and I've been looking on Ticketmaster.nl but it says tickets not available till Monday 16th - no mention of pre-sale... also according to U2.com there is/will be links to the pre-sales for all shows via U2.com , but clicking on the date/show doesn't (as yet anyway) direct you to any ticketing site.... anyone any the wiser ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Coldplay advertised €69-€145, U2 advertising €76 - €180, so I'd imagine each area will be slightly more than the Coldplay ticket price which were....

HOGAN/CUSACK - LOWER
    €69.50 - €144.00

HOGAN/CUSACK - UPPER
    €69.50 - €109.50

DAVIN - LOWER
    €69.50 - €109.50

DAVIN - UPPER
    €69.50 - €89.50

PITCH STANDING
    €89.50

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Anyone who pays over 100 quid to sit in the Hogan, Cusack or the Davin (which is pointless) deserves the sh1tty gig they'll experience. Sound in the Hogan and Cusack can be diabolical. 

The Davin is 100m from the stage.

See U2 have delayed the new album now. :getlost:

Advertisement