Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 Joshua Tree Tour 2017 / 2019 **No Ticket Sales**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,410 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

My guess post Joshua Tree tour

The band will return too the studio for 2018 and completely redo the SOE and which will be released Xmas 2018 (the band will play 4 3arena Xmas 2018 dates too launch it) and a world tour will follow in 2019/2020

Imagine Rattle & Hum II- Dublin 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

They all do. Larry especially.
    They have to do it and need it. All the synth tracks they use, they have to keep time with them, otherwise the show would be a mess

Most bands use click tracks these days anyways
    on a related note, do they still have those 2 guys off-stage playing keyboards/synths and additional guitar?
    I remember seeing them in a documentary years ago, possibly around the Elevation tour time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Messi19 wrote: »
    Anyone remember those 2 lads that played in lagoona bar in the ifsc before the 3arena gigs???

Wouldn't mind seeing them again on Saturday if anyone knows if and where they may be playing?

Yeah they were good.
    My buddy sang a song with the singer in the pub !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭q2xv9rjei4awgb

on a related note, do they still have those 2 guys off-stage playing keyboards/synths and additional guitar?
    I remember seeing them in a documentary years ago, possibly around the Elevation tour time.

100% no additional guitar. I've seen The Edge **** up enough times to know there isn't. Don't have to take my word for it, but from my ear and experience as a guitarist, there really isn't. Listen to One from the last tour. It suffers from the lack of a 2nd guitar from Bono. 100% no second guitar player

There is another guy down there that play the tracks at the start of Streets, Bad, WOWY etc but, the sound you're hearing mostly through out a lot of songs, is actually an effect pedal The Edge uses....It's called a shimmer effect.

Here's an example
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9FjSQ8Rxgw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭scurnane

Any recommendations on a place to visit for a few pints on Saturday afternoon before the gig?

• Advertisement

scurnane wrote: »
    Any recommendations on a place to visit for a few pints on Saturday afternoon before the gig?

Big Tree?

Nowhere else really...Unless, you hit the city centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭phonypony

100% no additional guitar. I've seen The Edge **** up enough times to know there isn't. Don't have to take my word for it, but from my ear and experience as a guitarist, there really isn't. Listen to One from the last tour. It suffers from the lack of a 2nd guitar from Bono. 100% no second guitar player

There is another guy down there that play the tracks at the start of Streets, Bad, WOWY etc but, the sound you're hearing mostly through out a lot of songs, is actually an effect pedal The Edge uses....It's called a shimmer effect.

Here's an example

Plenty of layers of guitar on the tracks they use live though. On the last tour they dispensed with a lot of that for 'One', but even that had at least two prominent guitar parts in addition to the Edge and Bono's sporadic playing. Fact is, without their tracks their show wouldn't be what it is. Even listen to Beautiful Day from Barcelona last night (some issue with the backing tracks), the part going into the middle 8 that Edge plays with a Whammy octave up is mostly inaudible, cause its also on the track. I always thought he was playing that part live.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Messi19

scurnane wrote: »

There's a few places around fairview and drumcondra

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Here's an example
    there used to be though, right? I'm almost certain there were 2 of them with one playing additional guitar, presumably rhythm guitar on the bigger tracks? does anyone know what documentary/piece it was? pretty sure it was in a stadium or arena and they were going around talking to different crew.

after some googling I see the synth/keyboards guy offstage is called Terry Lawless and seems to be acknowledged by the band at gigs recently.

e: and found another piece from a few weeks ago that mentions that the guitar tech Dallas Schoo does some live stuff during the gigs too.

phonypony wrote: »
    Plenty of layers of guitar on the tracks they use live though. On the last tour they dispensed with a lot of that for 'One', but even that had at least two prominent guitar parts in addition to the Edge and Bono's sporadic playing. Fact is, without their tracks their show wouldn't be what it is. Even listen to Beautiful Day from Barcelona last night (some issue with the backing tracks), the part going into the middle 8 that Edge plays with a Whammy octave up is mostly inaudible, cause its also on the track. I always thought he was playing that part live.

Course yeah but, tracks like Beautiful Day need that in a live setting, otherwise it's just going to sound ****.

Point is, there are very few tracks like that in the set. And trust me, when you use as many delay units as he does, it can fill up the sound completely with just one guitar. They are one of the reasons why the arse never really goes out of songs when it's time for a guitar player to do a solo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I just had a look at a video from Berlin ,where they had a pit area and the bloody thing was half empty.
    I hope they dont do the same thing in Dublin ,health and safety gone mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭lambayire

Well it the areas are anything like Coldplay, they will be rammed.

A bit of room towards the sides of the pitch and also right down the back
    but I was impressed with how full the pitch looked.
    They were also selling drink from the back-pack dispensers at the sides.

Likewise with Robie Wiliams. The pit area was possibly over-full.

No movement was allowed between the various areas for both gigs.

Course yeah but, tracks like Beautiful Day need that in a live setting, otherwise it's just going to sound ****.

Point is, there are very few tracks like that in the set. And trust me, when you use as many delay units as he does, it can fill up the sound completely with just one guitar. They are one of the reasons why the arse never really goes out of songs when it's time for a guitar player to do a solo

Ahh yeah, there's some great tricks used to not rely on extra stuff in the tracks as much as possible. Using different amps, panned differently, delays, shimmer (used a lot more on the JT stuff than originally), it's all clever and I wish they relied less on tracks a lot more, even if it means added mistakes. The amount of cockups this tour with stuff they've been playing for years is unreal, a lot of it Adam and his bass pedals, but its great cos it's live.

And I agree with you, the current show is fairly sparse where extra guitars is concerned, mostly the essential stuff like the second guitar in Bullet, etc. I have to say I'm not a fan of the nasty staccato synth thing on Homecoming, with Edge playing harmonics over it... I'd prefer him to play it on guitar.

It's a necessary evil when you have synced visuals and a band relying on cues, etc, and it's a huge temptation to fill up tracks just because it's an available crutch, they can definitely do a show without it all if pre-planned, but if the current and past method fails during a show its a disaster for them.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to Saturday :))

Ahh yeah, there's some great tricks used to not rely on extra stuff in the tracks as much as possible. Using different amps, panned differently, delays, shimmer (used a lot more on the JT stuff than originally), it's all clever and I wish they relied less on tracks a lot more, even if it means added mistakes. The amount of cockups this tour with stuff they've been playing for years is unreal, a lot of it Adam and his bass pedals, but its great cos it's live.

And I agree with you, the current show is fairly sparse where extra guitars is concerned, mostly the essential stuff like the second guitar in Bullet, etc. I have to say I'm not a fan of the nasty staccato synth thing on Homecoming, with Edge playing harmonics over it... I'd prefer him to play it on guitar.

It's a necessary evil when you have synced visuals and a band relying on cues, etc, and it's a huge temptation to fill up tracks just because it's an available crutch, they can definitely do a show without it all if pre-planned, but if the current and past method fails during a show its a disaster for them.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to Saturday :))

Agreed with all that, except one thing...

2nd guitar on Bullet? You sure?
    I know he uses the Muff for that (How he gets it to cut through the mix is amazing to me) and the delay and the Wah. I can hear the power drop out when he used to go into the solo. Unless, Clayton has an effect on his bass for it to drive it.
    I know he used to use various effects in the 90's :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Med101007

Hold tight, there will definitely be a drop ,mostly side stage and decent seats in the next day or two.
    It's not looking like many standing tickets will be dropped though ,they released hardly any for Barcelona or Rome but lots of seats.
    Berlin and London had big drops in all categories though.

If there is a ticket drop in the next two days and I get lucky and manage to get through to the payment screen, can I buy the ticket with an AIB Visa Debit card? Never bought tickets on Ticketmaster before so not sure how it works.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Med101007 wrote: »
    If there is a ticket drop in the next two days and I get lucky and manage to get through to the payment screen, can I buy the ticket with an AIB Visa Debit card? Never bought tickets on Ticketmaster before so not sure how it works.

You can, It's worthwhile creating a ticketmaster account beforehand so you don't have to go thorugh that whole process while trying to buy tickets.

Agreed with all that, except one thing...

2nd guitar on Bullet? You sure?
    I know he uses the Muff for that (How he gets it to cut through the mix is amazing to me) and the delay and the Wah. I can hear the power drop out when he used to go into the solo. Unless, Clayton has an effect on his bass for it to drive it.
    I know he used to use various effects in the 90's :confused:

Yeah, he plays the fat sounding bluesy stuff during the chorus and there's that double stab that rings out 'ooo ooo [stab stab] ooo ooo oo..' on the track. If ya get me :D

Yeah, he plays the fat sounding bluesy stuff during the chorus and there's that double stab that rings out 'ooo ooo [stab stab] ooo ooo oo..' on the track. If ya get me :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUjvK916kOM

I can hear a synth track alright but, no extra guitars. Just the one :confused:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUjvK916kOM

I can hear a synth track alright but, no extra guitars. Just the one :confused:

0.48. At 1.46 you can hear the trails of delay as it goes down the fretboard. Might just have to watch that show now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Suddenly the pitch1/2 murder she wrote investigation doesn't seem so bad :pac:

• Advertisement

Suddenly the pitch1/2 murder she wrote investigation doesn't seem so bad :pac:

Just yet another interesting (to some) thread drift. Cherish these moments, this time next week this thread will be a faded memory!

They really do get some serious over analysis though by some critics. For the past 10 years The Rolling Stones have basically had a whole other band playing back stage.

Coldplay and Muse have massive amounts of extra bits and bobs added.

U2 definitely have plenty going on in the "underworld' with Dallas and Terry but the 4 on stage put in as much if not more input and effort than any other band out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,410 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Watching a few more u2 related tv

The Simpson's episode where they appear (season 9 episode 22 trash of the titans)

The famous South Park bono episode

That was meant to be the last ever Simpsons, if only they had stopped there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭CianDon

Hey Folks, have the set's on this tour all generally been around the 2 hour mark?? Im trying to suss bus time to get out of Dubland after the show so would I be right in expecting it to be over for about 10.30??

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭lazer.blue

CianDon wrote: »
    Hey Folks, have the set's on this tour all generally been around the 2 hour mark?? Im trying to suss bus time to get out of Dubland after the show so would I be right in expecting it to be over for about 10.30??

It will probably be closer to 11.oo

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭CianDon

lazer.blue wrote: »
    It will probably be closer to 11.oo

Perfect job man, cheers. I'll book on for the 12 bus so.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Dublin Airport today ,the boys are back in town !

c925183d1716af03c6e63064945d9d48.jpg

Not exactly . Only one band member was actually on the plane , the rest are in the south of france .

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭mrk75

PTH2009 wrote: »
    My guess post Joshua Tree tour

The band will return too the studio for 2018 and completely redo the SOE and which will be released Xmas 2018 (the band will play 4 3arena Xmas 2018 dates too launch it) and a world tour will follow in 2019/2020

Imagine Rattle & Hum II- Dublin 2018
    Saw an article on a U2 fan site this week suggesting there have been listening events for the new album during this tour. They seem to be inviting random fans to listen to the new songs - sometimes with some of the band present.

It went on to suggest 1 December 2017 as the release date and a tour next year. Willie Williams (show designer) also says in an Irish Times article today they'll be touring SoE next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭mrk75

Here's an example
    there used to be though, right? I'm almost certain there were 2 of them with one playing additional guitar, presumably rhythm guitar on the bigger tracks? does anyone know what documentary/piece it was? pretty sure it was in a stadium or arena and they were going around talking to different crew.

after some googling I see the synth/keyboards guy offstage is called Terry Lawless and seems to be acknowledged by the band at gigs recently.

e: and found another piece from a few weeks ago that mentions that the guitar tech Dallas Schoo does some live stuff during the gigs too.
    Yeah, Terry Lawless has been pretty much the unofficial fifth member for a number of tours now. He got a shout out a few times during the 360 tour and actually appeared on screen from his position in the "underworld" as they called it. I think it was during Miracle Drug (whey they were playing that). Or maybe it was the Vertigo tour.

Advertisement