Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downsizing for elderly

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭the14thwarrior

i have experienced many older people moving out of their homes into more suitable accommodation. might i suggest that if possible she gets a ground floor apartment or a bungalow. A lot of the smaller townhouses have unsuitable stair cases, too small, spiral etc. and difficult to put a stair lift in. i assessed a lady recently who moved into a first floor apartment, wet room etc. all very well, but accessed via a number of steps outside and then into an elevator lift. she could not put a stair lift in outside the apartment. There was a huge step onto the balcony. And she had a ton of money that she probably could have choosen bettr.

its difficult to put a near level access shower into most apartment bathrooms, you will get one with a step but its technically impossible to put near level in. a wet room is out of the question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

They aren't really building for older people to downsize. I expect the best option will be to sell your own place and convert a smaller more suitable building yourself.

Advertisement