Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

+40" Full hd tv

• 26-12-2016 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

Looking for a more or less 40 inch TV. Any good deals on decent tvs or what price range should I be looking at?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭FatB

I guess people here would like to know a few more details before showing you what you could get.

Are you dead set on HD? There's some good prices for 4k tv's currently

Namely the HiSense 43" 4k on amazon for about €415 delivered to your door here in Ireland, that being said, it was closer to €315 back in June so it's quite possible it will drop again soon but who knows

If your interested in 4k but going up in size is not your limiting factor, adding €30 to that will get you the 49" version of the same TV, which is certainly a decent price currently, even if it was a little cheaper in the past (for a very limited run and sterling prices would of meant it was as expensive for us then as it is now)

Then it's a question of your budget, some people might consider a top of the range Samsung Full HD 40" a bargain at €500, or you might want 3D, multiple HDMI ports, HDMI 2.0 as a minimum, smart tv features etc etc etc. What is important to you? What is not important to you?

As for pure 40" Full HD TV's, I've personally stopped looking at prices quite some time ago :P

P.s. There is a very nifty website that has tonnes of custom search capability, it's easily tricked by mistakes on companies websites, but well worth a look through if your interested. www.PriceSpy.ie - I notice that this 40" Full HD Sharp tv was €237 back on the 10th-12th of December so I guess this is your target bargain price if quality or anything else doesn't matter much to you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭rudiger2.0

FatB wrote: »
    I guess people here would like to know a few more details before showing you what you could get.

Are you dead set on HD? There's some good prices for 4k tv's currently

Namely the HiSense 43" 4k on amazon for about €415 delivered to your door here in Ireland, that being said, it was closer to €315 back in June so it's quite possible it will drop again soon but who knows

If your interested in 4k but going up in size is not your limiting factor, adding €30 to that will get you the 49" version of the same TV, which is certainly a decent price currently, even if it was a little cheaper in the past (for a very limited run and sterling prices would of meant it was as expensive for us then as it is now)

Then it's a question of your budget, some people might consider a top of the range Samsung Full HD 40" a bargain at €500, or you might want 3D, multiple HDMI ports, HDMI 2.0 as a minimum, smart tv features etc etc etc. What is important to you? What is not important to you?

As for pure 40" Full HD TV's, I've personally stopped looking at prices quite some time ago :P

P.s. There is a very nifty website that has tonnes of custom search capability, it's easily tricked by mistakes on companies websites, but well worth a look through if your interested. www.PriceSpy.ie - I notice that this 40" Full HD Sharp tv was €237 back on the 10th-12th of December so I guess this is your target bargain price if quality or anything else doesn't matter much to you :)

Thanks for your detailed response. I suppose to explain myself better, I haven't had a TV in a long time but I've just been given a PS4 for Christmas so that's basically why I'm looking now.

I would use it for that but also for looking at Netflix. I won't be getting any TV packages.

from what I've read, I think 4k might be a bit unnecessary at the moment and a lot of people seem to have mixed feelings about Hisense. I definitely don't want 3d , I hope that dies soon enough.

Basically, I want something cheap +-€300, I don't need a massive screen, just something that will give a good reflexion of the PS4 capabilities.

Funnily enough, I bought the 4K 49" Hisense on the recommendation of the vast majority in the Bargain Alerts main forum thread here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057662693

To be quite honest, it's a great TV, picture (after setting it up as per AV Forums recommendations) was excellent, small amount of light bleed near the bottom bezel (basically a pure black picture will have a tiny amount of not quite black at the bottom of the screen, it's not annoying and I've seen similar and worse on bigger brand TV's over the years), there is no noticeable latency issues on Witcher on the xbox, but I'm a PC gamer so rarely use it for gaming, it was more of a quick test than anything else. Sound is great, far better than most TV's at this price range, even 1080 sets are generally lacking in the lower range compared to this. Netflix is on the Remote, it opens almost instantly, very fluid experience etc.

As for people complaining about 4k, the picture looks better on any 4k content I've looked at than any 1080 content I've viewed on a mid-top end Samsung 1080. I guess it's a little down to personal preference, but ultimately it also means that it's newer hardware in the TV (for better or worse of course) - 3D died last year, Curved TV's are next to die off with only Samsung still trying to champion it (along with a single LG OLED model). There will be very few new 1080 TV's except for pure budget sets this year. Obviously there is a lot more to a good picture than just how many pixels it displays, but the shift is certainly happening and sticking to a 1080 just means you're getting old software on your new tv tbh.

I'm not here to sell you anything though, it's obviously your own choice about what you do and don't want :D

So, here's a quick selection of TV's that suit you with the possible negatives that go with them from browsing several places for reviews etc.

NO SMART TV (Chromecast or similar or even your brand new shiny PS4 will cover that base easily though)

JVC 42" 1080p for €299 in PCWorld/Curry's (I've seen the exact model for at least 40 euro less there previously though, possibly even 60 less, just going on memory) - http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/jvc-lt42c550-42-led-tv/329984/404.0.1

Reviews suggest the sound is very bad, I tried the display model in PCWorld back around Black Friday and was hugely disappointed at the time with the sound but there was a lot of other sound sources active at that time to be 100% accurate. Also, this is a Vestal model if that means anything to you.

Sony Bravia 40" RD4 (pictures show some apps, but the comparison graph with other Sony Models show smart tv as no) ~€350 delivered (blame Irish VAT for the added extra) from Amazon - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01B5A0E0E

Reviews point towards bad sound again but a great picture if your source is decent (which it will be from the PS4/netflix ofc) once you update the firmware from Sony - the same TV is being flogged in ElectroCity for €449 "on sale from €589" /shrug

Samsung UE40J5000 40" Full HD ~€320 from Amazon again - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-UE40J5000-inch-1080-pixels/dp/B017W2ET3C/

I'm running out of options though, there are a few places worth checking - You'll often find Sharp 40" in some of the Tesco stores for below 300, I'm not sure if these are now made by Hisense, but they did buy the brand name at least.

Take a look through that first link though, the one for the Hisense 4K tv, I didn't really know much about them until then either.

Nevermind about that last Samsung, I notice its not being sold by Amazon themselves. UK Mainland delivery only.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭stuba

Care to reccomend a TV for me FatB. Was hoping for around 43", Smart, 4k if possible for no more than 450-500 Euro?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭s15r330

stuba wrote: »
    Care to reccomend a TV for me FatB. Was hoping for around 43", Smart, 4k if possible for no more than 450-500 Euro?

Over budget but 49 or 50"(I think) Sharp 4k smart in Tesco for 599.
    Or 50" hisense in Argos for 489 or 440 if you know anyone working in argos
    https://m.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5656253/Trail/searchtext>Hisense.htm

stuba wrote: »

The TV I got is still up on Amazon for around €444.31 (Irish VAT and free delivery included)

Hisense 49 - Inch Widescreen 4K Smart LED TV with Freeview HD

The lower sizes are out of stock via Amazon themselves so I personally wouldn't go near them (delivery issues etc)

If you do go with it, I followed the settings on the following review https://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R2V77BS3I2OYPD/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B01DUPUESO

Seems almost perfect to me (coming from a Full HD 40" Samsung, I much prefer this personally)

Other than that, if brand names and minor improvements really matter to you, there is a Samsung that you would have to collect personally (€586) over at http://www.richersounds.ie/p-202044-ue49ku6400.aspx?swapstore=1

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭stuba

Both of ye have recommended the Hisense Brand. Is this a very good brand? I hadn't previously heard of it If Im being honest.

I've also never bought a TV off amazon, always bought it in a store. How have ye found this experience? The 49" is very tempting at that price. Are they all saorview approved?

Thanks Stuart

I don't personally use Saorview, but it supports the same standards afaik (would need to do a little more research for you on that one though).

Amazon are great if a little slow perhaps - Took 3 days to get a delivery date confirmation (guess its sourcing transport or similar reasons), but it arrived 2 days after that with DHL doing the final handover here in Waterford at least.

Amazon are probably one of the only online companies I'd be confident would take back the item even if it was just that I didn't like the shade of Black used for the bezel.

As for Hisense, its a "cheap Chinese" brand that have started to aim for the bigger league in the more recent models, they went so far as to be a main sponsor for the World Cup (Or similar), sponsor some formula one team and are at least making shapes to try build confidence, I'm only saying this as to be it shows that they have confidence in their own product at least.

This TV in particular is genuinely punching well above its asking price, but would still be outshined by TV's in the €800+ bracket, which is to be expected - of course.

Don't expect the world and its oyster for €440, but you can be sure it will look as good or better (after initial setup) than any €600 ~49" 4K tv. I recently watched Planet Earth II in 4k on it, whilst the same might be said for any 4K tv, the picture genuinely amazed me :D

Advertisement