Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bridge or DSLR?

• 26-12-2016 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

Hi all.

Looking to upgrade my camera in the next few days maybe take advantages of any good offers around.

I have canon powershot compact at the moment which has done me well but want to upgrade, I was thinking of a DSLR but would a basic DSLR be any good for what I want?
    I'm mainly photographing scenery, animals and wildlife... I particularly want to take more bird photos

(Can you take any macros on a DSLR without a lense? eg of bees/grasshoppers/mosses etc)

I'm a college student so my budget is around the €300 mark and Ive seen a few bridge cameras within that and they have a decent zoom, some up to 50/60x

eg [DMC FZ72] is one I'm looking at and quite like?

Thanks in advance and hope you all had a great Christmas:D:D!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

DSLR every time. That said your budget restricts you to 50mm with a kit lens unless you pick up something second hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Stressica

Okay cool. But with a basic DSLR and no lenses can i take any macro photos or will i need a separate lens?
    While I'm here, Can you recommend any good online sites?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

I downgraded from a dSLR to a Canon bridge camera a few years ago and don't really regret it. I took it on safari and got some brilliant photos. I don't miss carrying a heavy camera around while sightseeing or messing with lenses. I do miss having good night time photography ability though.

Stressica wrote: »
    Okay cool. But with a basic DSLR and no lenses can i take any macro photos or will i need a separate lens?
    While I'm here, Can you recommend any good online sites?

Here's the cheapest kit DSLR at eglobal.

https://www.eglobalcentral.eu/canon-eos-1300d-kit-with-18-55mm-iii-lens-digital-slr-camera-black.html

Here's a review on the lens.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-S-18-55mm-f-3.5-5.6-IS-II-Lens-Review.aspx

You'll pay between $300-400 for the cheapest dedicated macro lens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

A 50mm 1.8 prime lens and macro tubes will give you great macro capabilities.
    Try and pick up an older lens with aperture ring.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/MACRO-EXTENSION-TUBES-CANON-Camera-x/dp/B001CWZE6A/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1482870180&sr=8-6&keywords=macro+rings
    The above info is if you decide on a DSLR camera.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there's no such thing as using a DSLR with no lenses, so i assume you mean whether you can take macro shots without a macro lens?
    there would be a fair few 'standard' lenses which offer macro functionality, but it would not be nearly as good as a dedicated lens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

Thinking of getting a camera too. I'm not dismissing a bridge camera entirely. There are some very good models out there for reasonable money. That said...some very nice DSLRs.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Stressica

I've decided I'm going to go with the Nikon d3300 and that comes with a 18-55mm kit lens. There's a few places online that have it so I'm just deciding now whether to go via amazon or an Irish company likes Con's camera or Eglobal. Amazon does insurance for an extra 25€ ish so Im wondering is that worth it?

I've decided I'm going to go with the Nikon d3300 and that comes with a 18-55mm kit lens. There's a few places online that have it so I'm just deciding now whether to go via amazon or an Irish company likes Con's camera or Eglobal. Amazon does insurance for an extra 25€ ish so Im wondering is that worth it?

Be careful with Amazon. Some vendors are based in Asia and you could end up with a vat bill on receipt of your package. The same applies to Eglobal, Asia based, but they guarantee no vat charges and will refund if it happens. Conns will cost a bit more.

FWIW I bought some kit recently from eglobal with no issues. They were by far the cheapest too.

Advertisement