Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Body Weight Workout

• 26-12-2016 4:08pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone part take in body weight workouts? I've downloaded a few apps to try out a few planned workouts during the year. I can't afford a gym membership and I'm beginning to enjoy the benefits of outdoor walking, with a view to running again. An outdoor gym has been opened in my area, so I'll put it to good use with some body weight workouts to tone up.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

I do a lot of body weight work, particularly chin ups and pull ups. I also started doing push ups before going on to use dumbells and a barbell, and air squats, split squats, glute bridges and planks etc. It's a great way to build up core strength.

If you want to get very strong you'll need to join a gym though, or get some.basic weights for a home setup. You're training for endurance after you get to a certain point with bodyweight exercises. Progressive overload is important, and the best way to do this is with a barbell / dumbells. If you can afford a good set of adjustable dumbells they'd be a big help to you, greatly increasing the range of exercises you could do. You'd probably pick up a used set on DoneDeal very cheap.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

That's great advice Mickey. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    That's great advice Mickey. Thanks.

No bother good luck with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,658 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

You could also check this out for now:

https://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/wiki/kb/recommended_routine

You'd need a pull up bar but that's about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

My most successful year in Judo competition was when I included a lot of body weight, TRX and Kettlebell exercises into my routine.

The exercises I used were specifically to mimic Judo movements, or what would make me stronger & faster in a specific range of motion so its pointless listing when I done but just pointing out that although you can't afford a gym membership, bodyweight exercises (and TRX & KB's) are not selling yourself short either.

Best of luck :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement