Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I fit smaller chainrings on sram red (10) chainset?

Options
  • 26-12-2016 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭

Will a standard red chainset 39:53 accommodate any other combination of chainrings or does one have to buy a whole new chainset to get 36:52 or 34:50 or whatever?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I think 38 is the smallest that will fit on the SRAM (or Shimano) 130 bcd. I have run 38 / 52 for quite a while.

The one thing I noticed was the ramps/pins on the rings I got (Specialities TA) were different and changing was a bit clunkier than with the stock SRAM rings. I never minded racing as generally it was in the large ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

^^^^^
    what he says

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Cheers lads.

Just planning for the summer. Gonna be in Europe for a month ad the plan is to go hill hunting. See how many hors de categorie scalps we can collect. Won't be any fun on our standard doubles. I suppose a bargain sram rival or apex compact would be the best way to go.

Anyone know what the Red rear derailleur's cassette sprocket limitations are?

I have Sram Red.
    At the moment, I have 34-50 at the front and 11-28 at the back, with a regular Sram Red rear mech.
    I want a lower gear. Having done a little research, I decided, that the only way to find out, if an 11-32 would work was to buy a cassette and try it. It didn't work. The pulley wheel was touching the 32 sprocket, no matter what I tried, longer chain and longer B screw. I didn't want to dilute my Sram Red and I didn't want to buy a long cage Sram Red rear mech, because of the cost.
    I have ordered this device

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/142038044388?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It hasn't arrived yet, but I am fairly confident, that it will solve my problem.
    I will report here, when it arrives and I have tried it out.
    From reading about that device, I think, you might get away with an 11-36 with your 39-53. you might even get an 11-40 to work.

I have a spare compact Sram chain set(34-50 with 175mm cranks, GXP). It is in good condition, but is non group. I think it is about equivalent to Apex. If you want to borrow it to try out, you are more than welcome. I'm in Drogheda.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Fwiw1: I did the raid Pyrenees on the 38/52 with a 12/27 cassette.

Fwiw2: ~44 cadence is 4.5kmph

Fwiw3: I now run 35/52 semi compact 12/25

All standard SRAM derailleurs btw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

fat bloke wrote: »
    Cheers lads.

Just planning for the summer. Gonna be in Europe for a month ad the plan is to go hill hunting. See how many hors de categorie scalps we can collect. Won't be any fun on our standard doubles. I suppose a bargain sram rival or apex compact would be the best way to go.

Anyone know what the Red rear derailleur's cassette sprocket limitations are?
    Eamonnator wrote: »
    I have Sram Red.
    At the moment, I have 34-50 at the front and 11-28 at the back, with a regular Sram Red rear mech.
    I want a lower gear. Having done a little research, I decided, that the only way to find out, if an 11-32 would work was to buy a cassette and try it. It didn't work. The pulley wheel was touching the 32 sprocket, no matter what I tried, longer chain and longer B screw. I didn't want to dilute my Sram Red and I didn't want to buy a long cage Sram Red rear mech, because of the cost.
    Idleater wrote: »

None of you would be the first to ponder this issue with Sram.....you're in good company. http://road.cc/content/news/36163-giro-tech-contador-goes-apex

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭fcon

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I have Sram Red.
    I have ordered this device

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/142038044388?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It hasn't arrived yet, but I am fairly confident, that it will solve my problem.
    I will report here, when it arrives and I have tried it out.
    From reading about that device, I think, you might get away with an 11-36 with your 39-53. you might even get an 11-40 to work.

I have a spare compact Sram chain set(34-50 with 175mm cranks, GXP). It is in good condition, but is non group. I think it is about equivalent to Apex. If you want to borrow it to try out, you are more than welcome. I'm in Drogheda.

http://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/products/roadlink

Another option

Would be interested to hear if those things work. What do they do essentially - lengthen the derailleur reach is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Would be interested to hear if those things work. What do they do essentially - lengthen the derailleur reach is it?

There's a good article about super-compact chainsets here that will provide sone background on these, here: https://cyclingtips.com/2016/11/sub-compact-and-the-future-of-wide-range-road-bike-gearing/

I've read it a few times - still not sure I understand it all, mind.

So am I. I'll let you know, if the one, I have ordered, works.
    Yes, they give more clearance to the upper jockey wheel, so that it doesn't catch on the largest sprocket.
    Unlike TheBlaaMan, I absolutely don't understand it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

OP, I have a 50-34 SRAM Rival chainset (110 BCD) with about 1500 km for sale if you're interested...

outfox wrote: »
    OP, I have a 50-34 SRAM Rival chainset (110 BCD) with about 1500 km for sale if you're interested...

I might well be. Put a price on it.

Is it 172.5?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Idleater wrote: »

you weighed about 6 grams.

fat bloke, I would imagine you would be fine on a 38/32 if the red will take that (wifli?) cos you weigh about 7 grams.

lennymc wrote: »
    fat bloke, I would imagine you would be fine on a 38/32 if the red will take that (wifli?) cos you weigh about 7 grams.

:) Ah sure yknow yourself, let loose in the ol seasonal Quality Street and that doesn't be long changing :D

I have my new old tcr which had a mid compact, tis the Mrs's's Cervelo I'm looking to sort out.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

I might well be. Put a price on it.

Is it 172.5?

Yes, it's 172.5. Actually, the mileage is slightly higher now that I think about it, maybe around the 2000 km mark. How does €100 sound?

outfox wrote: »
    Yes, it's 172.5. Actually, the mileage is slightly higher now that I think about it, maybe around the 2000 km mark. How does €100 sound?

Ta Outfox. I'll leave it for the mo. Bit broke after Christmas and have until July to sort something.

To follow up on my previous post, MyAlpe D'huez device arrived yesterday.
    It works a treat.
    It took about a minute to instal, you unscrew rear mech, screw the device in and then attach the rear mech to the device. There is no problem with gear cable, it doesn't have to be touched.
    I used a new chain, with extra links to compensate for the 32 sprocket.
    It took me about 5 minutes to get the gears working properly. I had to adjust the B screw.
    All 22 gears work flawlessly. The chain or mech are not overly stretched in 50-32 ratio, nor does the chain sag in the 34-11 ratio. (I know, I know, I shouldn't be using those gears.)
    I now have a low gear of 34-32, which should get me up, any climb, I WANT to get up. Unlike idleater, I would be lost with a low gear of 38-27.

Advertisement