Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky Q HDMI cable

• 26-12-2016 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi, I recently got sky q installed with a brand new 4k LG49UH610 tv, the distance between the sky q box and the tv is about 1.5 meters. If I am honest, the picture quality is not what I hoped, while I did not expect 4k,, I think it's barely 1080 if I am honest. The engineer used my old HDMI cable,, about 5 years old and I am hoping thats the issue? If I purchase a 2.0 hdmi cable will the quality improve?. For example,, the ticker on sky sports news is blured and when the end credits roll up onow a tv show they are almost unreadble! We have a 32 inch with the other sky q box and the picture is much better! Or is it a case my expectations were too high in the first place.
    Cheers all

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

I highly doubt a new cable will solve anything. There is barely (If any) difference between a 50€ cable and a 2€ cable bought in a pound shop.
    Possibly a setting issue either on Tv or your Q box?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Hi, I recently got sky q installed with a brand new 4k LG49UH610 tv, the distance between the sky q box and the tv is about 1.5 meters. If I am honest, the picture quality is not what I hoped, while I did not expect 4k,, I think it's barely 1080 if I am honest. The engineer used my old HDMI cable,, about 5 years old and I am hoping thats the issue? If I purchase a 2.0 hdmi cable will the quality improve?. For example,, the ticker on sky sports news is blured and when the end credits roll up onow a tv show they are almost unreadble! We have a 32 inch with the other sky q box and the picture is much better! Or is it a case my expectations were too high in the first place.
    Cheers all

Is it a HD signal you're watching?. On the smaller tv a standard Def signal will look ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Did the installer set the resolution correctly? The two who called to install mine didn't change it from 1080 despite having a 4K tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭dam099

Cheers all

A HDMI cable will generally either work perfectly or not at all if not up to the task. In between sometimes you might get sparkles but otherwise quality wont be impacted (so no blurriness).

https://www.cnet.com/uk/news/why-all-hdmi-cables-are-the-same/

It might be the case that a cable would work with the box set to output at a lower resolution but not work when you push it up to the higher ones, your first port of call should be checking the settings as other posters have mentioned, then maybe look at a new cable if your other troubleshooting suggests one is needed. No need to spend big money though, any good quality cheap cable will do as long as its rated high speed (Amazon basics are cheap and considered reliable).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

For example,, the ticker on sky sports news is blured and when the end credits roll up onow a tv show they are almost unreadble!

I have had pixelation due to the HDMI cable, and strangely the cable is fine when used with some devices and gives pixelation with others.

Blur I would expect to be due to incompatible resolutions ..... the TV not being set to the same resolution as the output of the STB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 PaulMcD1978

Sorry but I have to ask, what is the stb?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Sorry but I have to ask, what is the stb?

Set Top Box ....... in your case Sky Q box.

OK that's set top box is obvious once ya say it! 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Firstly the sky tech should have provided you with a new Hdmi cable. An old cable over 5 yrs old is possibly an older rated cable they have a number but usually not marked on the box...for 4k a cable of 1.4 standard is required, however some higher speed 1.3 cables can be used. Anything in a pound shop in not the same and from what I have seen in Dealz as an example most cables are 1.1 or 1.2. However that being sad there is nothing on the sky box apart from the occasional match currently broadcasted in 4k. This will change soon.

When the match is broadcasted in ultra hd you have to press the red button to access it and this is only available on the 2tb box as far as I know but I could be wrong.

All programs in Standard definition SD in my opinion are not as good on the Q box as previous boxes. The Q box was initially designed with more expensive customers in mind something sky has since changed as it the box all new customers will now get a sky Q box unless they have an older tv which is the only excuse sky will now install a sky hd box.

Thanks everybody, I tried the above and just to complete it, I ordered a 2.0 HDMI cable yesterday from Currys, It costs €7 so not going to break the bank. We will see how it goes. Appreciate all the feedback

• Advertisement
Advertisement