Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things that are the talk of the parish

• 26-12-2016 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

'Did you hear the youngest Murphy boy is gone off to England like his brothers. I don't know what he'd be wanting over there at all at all. Sure with his poor mother down the hospital and all, she has an a n'awful trial with them boys. There's talk of the sister wanting the farum now, but sure Mick is having none of it. Oh they have a terrible time of it, Mr and Mrs Murphy.'

'Era they do.'

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Advbrd

vbnm wrote: »
    'Did you hear the youngest Murphy boy is gone off to England like his brothers. I don't know what he'd be wanting over there at all at all. Sure with his poor mother down the hospital and all, she has an a n'awful trial with them boys. There's talk of the sister wanting the farum now, but sure Mick is having none of it. Oh they have a terrible time of it, Mr and Mrs Murphy.'

'Era they do.'
    What are you smoking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Ferrari3600

Father O'Brien does a great sermon since he had the stroke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Yer wan up the road is pregnant again too, cannae keep her legs closed, that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

'Era they do.'

And your point is?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 vbnm

Yer wan up the road is pregnant again too, cannae keep her legs closed, that one.

And sure wasn't it only one of them black fellas from the city she was off with. Her poor mother'd be turning in her grave, god rest her.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

What is this all about? Some culchie joke I'm not getting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

It's like I turned the dial on an old wireless and it picked up the 1930's. The talk of the parish now is probably whose next for the hip replacement or the colostomy bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

And sure wasn't it only one of them black fellas from the city she was off it. Her poor mother'd be turning in her grave, god rest her.

I dare say he'll pay nary a penny towards her the divil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

GO HOME. GO HOME TO BE FCUKED.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

If it is.....I'm not either

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Fleawuss wrote: »
    It's like I turned the dial on an old wireless and it picked up the 1930's. The talk of the parish now is probably whose next for the hip replacement or the colostomy bag.
    A very plausible AH/ Conspiracy theory why RTE closed down RTE 1 AM radio transmitter. The machinery dated from then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

If it is.....I'm not either

Lads, I'm not even from this country and I'm getting it - the old ones love a bit of gossip whenever they're getting together, and the more shocking the better. I would have thought that's the same the world over. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Otherwise the Stephen's day poo thread in AH.

Yes, exactly, nobody gossips in the town................ apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭sjb25

Heard sharon curley's pregnant

A Spanish sailor I heard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭lc180

Everyone is talking about one local family. They all headed off on a fancy trip to France for Xmas but forgot their youngest Kevin in the house. Two out of town scumbags tried to break into the house and but the young fella managed to keep them at bay, mainly by torturing the sh*te outta them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

Let's see her get into them jeans now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

lc180 wrote: »
    Everyone is talking about one local family. They all headed off on a fancy trip to France for Xmas but forgot their youngest Kevin in the house. Two out of town scumbags tried to break into the house and but the young fella managed to keep them at bay, mainly by torturing the sh*te outta them.

KEVIN!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Sally O'Brien, and the way she might look at ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Miss Demeanour

Years ago the fella next door got this one pregnant. My mother was horrified and came out with this beaut....."Jaysus at his age he should still think it's only for p***ing through!"
    He was 18!?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Good oul Irish parochialism...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,619 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Heard that, and she doesn't seem to know who the father is .... but shure if you run through a field of nettles how do you know which one stung you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

This always makes me smile
    This is how city folk imagine it is down the country
    In actual fact country folk are sitting in 2000 sq ft dormer bungalows with all the latest gadgets looking out the windows at 126 BMWs and if they ever think of city folk, and they don't, they snigger

• Registered Users Posts: 33,757 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

infogiver wrote: »
    In actual fact country folk are sitting in 2000 sq ft dormer bungalows with all the latest gadgets looking out the windows at 126 BMWs and if they ever think of city folk, and they don't, they snigger

You forgot to mention all the land we own, to go with the above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Still simple folk however you dress it up

• Registered Users Posts: 33,757 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Keep It Simple, Stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭eamonnq

2000 sq ft bungalows, and a huge car park out the front for 126 BMWs!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

There's a guy who works down the chip shop swears he's Elvis...

Simple like a fox.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

''That bloke/girl who keeps out of the pubs, doesn't gossip and generally minds their own business.''

''How dare they....Who the feck do they think they are?'':mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Dormer bungalows are so 2008. It's more like mansions now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Dormer bungalows are so 2008. It's more like mansions now.

And only the light in their fridge...

There's plenty of poor rich people who are up sht creek.
    Materialistically they look really dapper,but they're winging it.

I remember being at a wedding in Dromoland castle and got talking to a chap in his late 30's
    I said Jack you're doing very well,big car,nice looking finance,posh house in the city,you're business is very successful etc...

His engineer's are earning more than him,his overhead s have him crippled.

He turned around and said he'd much prefer my lifestyle of gardening surfing hill walking and talking ****e on boards.ie , his is boring, soulless and fake.
    I said can you not just let it all go and start afresh...No Jack said " I've made my bed now I have to lie in it"

So when you see those people in nice cars, wearing dapper clothes and looking sad and miserable....

Think of Jack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

..... looking out the windows at 126 BMWs and if they ever think of city folk, and they don't, they snigger

Well lah de dah, and us sitting here and only 2 Toyotas, ......

The farm grant has to be spent some way in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,671 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Christmas has made people perculer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

'Era they do.'

Dandyeleven???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Triggered?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

"Should we say something about the child abuse going on in the industrial schools?'
    'No lets just ignore it and hope it goes away'

Your Face wrote: »
    "Should we say something about the child abuse going on in the industrial schools?'
    'No lets just ignore it and hope it goes away'

Or those unfortunate girls in the convent laundry, or the Ryan children whose father likes a drink, coming to school every day black and blue and half starved or Mrs Ryan who keeps walking into walls and getting a black eye she's so clumsy.....
    But say it to whom? That's what I want to know. Who could anyone have reported it too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Sher that fella, don't mind him, he's sweating like a Kerry farmer with a Revenue inspection coming up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Oh, we know that the country folk are all loaded, with millions of Euro and Punts stuffed under their mattresses, living in a mini-mansion on the family farm in Ballyma-whatever, with an investment property that they rent out to students or young professionals in Dublin and a holiday home in Budapest or Sofia, whilst they claim that they only earn €10K or so per annum. Shame that we all can't work for cash in hand!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Heard that, and she doesn't seem to know who the father is .... but shure if you run through a field of nettles how do you know which one stung you.

Her sister was as bad and look at her now, it's like a home for the bewildered up there with 8 or 9 scabby wains running around with barely a stitch of clothing on them, it's not right, ya know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

sjb25 wrote: »
    Heard sharon curley's pregnant

A Spanish sailor I heard

With a langer like a donkey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

But he's a liar and I'm not sure about you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

Moany begrudging gossip about one of the neighbours going to Florida for two weeks over Christmas - where did they get the money for that - abandoning their wider family at Christmas.

Gossip about another neighbours middle aged ex wife being seen in a nightclub drinking on her own and wearing a very tarty frock.

Gossip about who came back from England Australia America - he's gone off with a fella! She's dating a black fella!!! and moaning about who never bothered and their poor parents spending Christmas without then.

Glad I no longer live there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

What's a parish?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

And only the light in their fridge...

There's plenty of poor rich people who are up sht creek.
    Materialistically they look really dapper,but they're winging it.

I remember being at a wedding in Dromoland castle and got talking to a chap in his late 30's
    I said Jack you're doing very well,big car,nice looking finance,posh house in the city,you're business is very successful etc...

His engineer's are earning more than him,his overhead s have him crippled.

He turned around and said he'd much prefer my lifestyle of gardening surfing hill walking and talking ****e on boards.ie , his is boring, soulless and fake.
    I said can you not just let it all go and start afresh...No Jack said " I've made my bed now I have to lie in it"

So when you see those people in nice cars, wearing dapper clothes and looking sad and miserable....

Think of Jack
    The negative equity and the rest of it hasn't passed me by, I am aware. I wasn't passing judgement on the style or size of house, just pointing out that they tend to be bigger than dormer bungalows now.

What's a parish?

According to the OED
    parish

noun

(in the Christian Church) a small administrative district typically having its own church and a priest or pastor:
    [as modifier] ‘a parish church’

1.1British The smallest unit of local government, constituted only in rural areas:
    [as modifier] ‘a parish councillor’

1.2US (in Louisiana) a territorial division corresponding to a county in other states.

So take your pick.

Ah shure, look at Paddy he's got himself a new Lamborghini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

He is

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

...just like you swore to me that you'd be true...

• Advertisement
Advertisement