Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things that are the talk of the parish

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

An actual quote from a friend about another friend: ''Look at Mary driving a 00 Mondeo. SOMEONE'S gone down in the world''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

An actual quote from a friend about another friend: ''Look at Mary driving a 00 Mondeo. SOMEONE'S gone down in the world''

Depends what she's gone down on :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

This thread reminds me of the Craggy Island gossipers:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Did you know she lives in a council house, has a huge flat screen TV that takes up the whole living room and she has a fella living with her that works and a car outside the door. She probably claims single parent benefit. It's a fcking joke while the rest of us are here struggling. You'd always see him coming and going there with work clothes on him. (Oh the cheek of him to wear work clothes!)

An actual quote from someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Did you know she lives in a council house, has a huge flat screen TV that takes up the whole living room and she has a fella living with her that works and a car outside the door. She probably claims single parent benefit. It's a fcking joke while the rest of us are here struggling. You'd always see him coming and going there with work clothes on him. (Oh the cheek of him to wear work clothes!)

Feckin Dingle mothers

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I love our Church and every Parish. We're the One True Faith guys.

Jesus Christ instructed St Peter to found our Church in Rome before his execution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Did you know he had nothing before he met her? She is very well off but nobody knows their family secret I think she's embarrassed by it. Sure he only had a shi*t job, some joke he is. And his mother is always boasting about him, stuck up sh*t. Did you know he cut me dead in town there one day, who does he think he is and when his mother came around, I said I'm not talking to her, she won't even buy her own paper but comes here to read ours. And have you seen the state of x, all she does is eat but the sons are very good to her not like that other stuck up little sh*t. She still thinks she's married, sure her husband was sleeping with that whore across town, she lives in a dream world.

My book will be out soon folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

Did you know he had nothing before he met her? She is very well off but nobody knows their family secret I think she's embarrassed by it. Sure he only had a shi*t job, some joke he is. And his mother is always boasting about him, stuck up sh*t. Did you know he cut me dead in town there one day, who does he think he is and when his mother came around, I said I'm not talking to her, she won't even buy her own paper but comes here to read ours. And have you seen the state of x, all she does is eat but the sons are very good to her not like that other stuck up little sh*t. She still thinks she's married, sure her husband was sleeping with that whore across town, she lives in a dream world.

My book will be out soon folks.

Parish gossip - a novel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Ferrari3600

vbnm wrote: »
    And sure wasn't it only one of them black fellas from the city she was off with. Her poor mother'd be turning in her grave, god rest her.

Sure the mother was worse! What about that operation she had in England, who do ya think paid for it? But now I'd best not be talkin', it was a long time ago.

• Advertisement

It's a absolute disgrace. He should be at home looking after the baby. He ought to know better at his age but he came from the wrong part of town, his family were as bad.

And her at home claiming the benefit and the car outside the door. At her age! She should be at home looking after the baby and not off gallivanting around off in her posh fancy new-fangled 'car'.

I hear they even brought in a black man to fix the radiator. A black man? Can you believe it!! Sure what would a black man be doing working here anyway, he should be at home in Nigeria looking after his own babies and not taking our jobs in our country they are as bad those Islamic gays that they have now with their 'so-called' 'marriage'. I blame Enda Kenny/Gerry Adams/Andrea Merckle/the Joos/the gays/the blacks (delete as applicable).

• Registered Users Posts: 5 vbnm

Sure the mother was worse! What about that operation she had in England, who do ya think paid for it? But now I'd best not be talkin', it was a long time ago.

Jesus, Mary and Holy Saint Joesph don't I remember it well. And her up at mass afterwards like t'was nothing at all. Young Father Ryan wouldn't say a thing of course. Chrisht if Father O'Mahony were around to see the likes of it, he'd have got his hurley and pucked her up beyond the far boreen, god rest him and forgive me me sins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

…and that black lad - the one that was going out with Sharon - he's walking out with her cousin Bridie now, that Bridie was in Dublin in the bank, and the brother saw him dealing for the old O'Brien farm down by the low hill, 500 acres and road frontage on three sides…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

infogiver wrote: »
    This always makes me smile
    This is how city folk imagine it is down the country
    In actual fact country folk are sitting in 2000 sq ft dormer bungalows with all the latest gadgets looking out the windows at 126 BMWs and if they ever think of city folk, and they don't, they snigger

126 BMWs is a bit ostentatious to be fair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Kinda or related.

I grew up on a farm in a small village which in turn is next to a large town and the town is partly in Co Dublin so too big for that sort of gossip you would think:rolleyes: Anyway one day in the town I nearly ran over a dog that ran out in front of my car so an hour later visiting my sister who still lives in the small village and she was able to tell me all about my misadventure with the dog what happened, who saw me etc that sort of stupid gossip drive me mad.

Hah! Five of my neighbours in a Dublin suburb where everyone always says "Sure nobody knows anyone here any more" separately told me last month that another neighbour had gone into a nursing home.

• Advertisement

infogiver wrote: »
    This always makes me smile
    This is how city folk imagine it is down the country
    In actual fact country folk are sitting in 2000 sq ft dormer bungalows with all the latest gadgets looking out the windows at 126 BMWs and if they ever think of city folk, and they don't, they snigger

True except for the lack of employment opportunities, or very narrow range of work opportunities, very subtle form of snobbery lack of interesting restaurants, and general night life beyond pubs and night clubs lack of third level opportunists, but sure why would you want any of that when you have a massive house and have to drive every where even to get a pint of milk.

Just been listening to a documentary on RTE radio called the ties that bind Close to 90 years ago, two American anthropologists, Conrad M Arensberg and Solon T Kimball, spent several years living in County Clare. Listening, observing, and occasionally lending a helping hand

They describe a life of kinship, family and obligation in rural Clare. I am sure you could get it as a pod cast if interested. There is another episode tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

mariaalice wrote: »
    Just been listening to a documentary on RTE radio called the ties that bind Close to 90 years ago, two American anthropologists, Conrad M Arensberg and Solon T Kimball, spent several years living in County Clare. Listening, observing, and occasionally lending a helping hand

They describe a life of kinship, family and obligation in rural Clare. I am sure you could get it as a pod cast if interested. There is another episode tomorrow.

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/the-ties-that-bind/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I'm pretty sure anthropologists love kinship and obligation. No research is worth it's salt if you can't squeeze those two things in it. Bonus points if kula is mentioned somewhere too.

meeeeh wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure anthropologists love kinship and obligation. No research is worth it's salt if you can't squeeze those two things in it. Bonus points if kula is mentioned somewhere too.

Well gossip is a sort of social glue and is studied by anthropologists, plus i would hazard a guess that in rural Ireland in the 1930s you had to rely on your neighbours a lot and because of a lack of transport all a persons needs had to be met locally some people might not have ever left their local villager or only go in to the local town once a year.

• Advertisement

Well gossip is a sort of social glue and is studied by anthropologists, plus i would hazard a guess that in rural Ireland in the 1930s you had to rely on your neighbours a lot and because of a lack of transport all a persons needs had to be met locally some people might not have every left their local villager or only go in to the local town once a year.
    They would probably find kinship and obligation in New York today. It's something anthropologists love to find.

Anyway I always find it's very easy to avoid gossip if you want to and sometimes I don't. It beats conversations about soaps.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 250 ✭✭Clarebelly

True except for the lack of employment opportunities, or very narrow range of work opportunities, very subtle form of snobbery lack of interesting restaurants, and general night life beyond pubs and night clubs lack of third level opportunists, but sure why would you want any of that when you have a massive house and have to drive every where even to get a pint of milk.

Yeah, it's not like any of those country folk might have a bulk tank cooler full of milk in the back yard..........

The country folk had bicycles, which extended travel enormously when they arrived and people realised that 50 miles (in old money) was an easy day's ride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Mary’s got a new job, she’s working in the bank. Making lots of money and giving it to Frank. Frank’s her married boyfriend, been that way for a year. Slapped her in the face once, but says he loves her dear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Valentina wrote: »
    Mary’s got a new job, she’s working in the bank. Making lots of money and giving it to Frank. Frank’s her married boyfriend, been that way for a year. Slapped her in the face once, but says he loves her dear.

Yeah. She believes he only slapped her to show her he loved her. Like if he didn't love her he wouldn't slap her. Isn't that how it goes with these young lovers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Depends what she's gone down on :D:D

Petrol ain't cheap.

You didn't hear that from me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Yeah. She believes he only slapped her to show her he loved her. Like if he didn't love her he wouldn't slap her. Isn't that how it goes with these young lovers?

He’s met another woman and travelling on his own. He wrote a loving message and left it by the phone. Mary still knows nothing, as innocent as snow. Everyone has heard the truth but no one lets it show.

They're all tall, the Kellys. Except for the youngest, with the red hair…

…That fella that was working in the yard with them a few years back, the Wexford lad, he was redheaded, wasn't he?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Did this thread fall into 2016 from 1961?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

All the insights in this thread explain why the middle/upper middle classes live in big houses set back from the road in the likes of Clontarf and Killiney, basically privacy and peace of mind and not seeing or being seen by Joe and Josephine C**t every time you wander out.

• Advertisement

JupiterKid wrote: »

This. I surely find it strange that people would discuss domestic violence as something as acceptable. I very much feel sorry for those of you that have family with attitude like that.

Oh and house with big garden and electric gate is useful to avoid the neighbors you don't like.I don't care how much I am gossiped about by some as long as I don't have to talk to them.

This. I surely find it strange that people would discuss domestic violence as something as acceptable. I very much feel sorry for those of you that have family with attitude like that.

Oh and house with big garden and electric gate is useful to avoid the neighbors you don't like.I don't care how much I am gossiped about by some as long as I don't have to talk to them.

The episode of the document today http://www.rte.ie/culture/2016/1208/837512-the-ties-that-bind/: had an interesting point even if family's didn't speak to their neighbours they still helped each other when they needed it possibly because they had no choice but to depend on each other for help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

dd972 wrote: »
    All the insights in this thread explain why the middle/upper middle classes live in big houses set back from the road in the likes of Clontarf and Killiney, basically privacy and peace of mind and not seeing or being seen by Joe and Josephine C**t every time you wander out.

They still see you.

They see everything.

Umm. you do get that Valentina's posts were quoting song lyrics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

JupiterKid wrote: »

The key word is parish. Who actually even thinks like that anymore. Sweet Jesus it's like a bad creative writing course.

Umm. you do get that Valentina's posts were quoting song lyrics?

I actually didn't. I never pay too much attention to lyrics so I googled it. I know now it's the song that I usually change the station where I hear it. Not my cup of tea.

Irony lost on ya?

Irony lost on ya?

I presumed you described attitudes you come accross when home for Christmas. I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 vbnm

Chuchote wrote: »
    They're all tall, the Kellys. Except for the youngest, with the red hair…

…That fella that was working in the yard with them a few years back, the Wexford lad, he was redheaded, wasn't he?
    He was a fierce lad for shucking diesel. Sure didn't I catch him up the far field one evening. He got a shlap of the hurl and by chrisht he wasn't long getting out of it. He was out of the yard for a fair biteen after that so he was.

• Advertisement

I presumed you described attitudes you come accross when home for Christmas. I don't.

If you worked in the field of domestic violence or read up on it you would have understood the post. They sometimes blame themselves for the violence and excuse the offender. It helps them mentally to accept something that should never be accepted. So nobody was making little of or excusing DV.

I'm at home all the time now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

pablo128 wrote: »
    Well lah de dah, and us sitting here and only 2 Toyotas, ......

The farm grant has to be spent some way in fairness.

It's amazing how that farm grant is able to pay off the bills, loan interest, taxes due, rates, water charges

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭HellSquirrel

Lol, no. It's just stereotypical owl biddy parish gossip. The same era as the Irish Mammy and similarish to the Four Yorkshiremen skits, albeit in a rather different direction.

Okay, there is some real truth under it. It's not entirely silly nonsense. And you still hear traces of it now and again, albeit with modern phrasing. But this is harmless stuff.

I actually didn't. I never pay too much attention to lyrics so I googled it. I know now it's the song that I usually change the station where I hear it. Not my cup of tea.

Grass is something you smoke
    birds are something you shag
    Take your vorsprung durck technik and shove it
    up your ass

(That's another song lyric so don't go calling the Offendetron police)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    It's amazing how that farm grant is able to pay off the bills, loan interest, taxes due, rates, water charges

More likely spent on a Land cruiser or Passat TDI.

Advertisement