Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I read a thread in order of most thanked post to least?

Options
  • 26-12-2016 8:33pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 267 ✭✭

Anyone know if this is possible?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,726 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?thread=[INSERT THREAD ID]&sort=thanks&date_to=&date_from=&query=%2A

Put the thread ID in instead of the square brackets in that link. The thread ID is the number after "t=" in the "legacy" skin.

I don't know how to do it on the new site as the URL structure is different and search was borked the last time I looked at it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 267 ✭✭Train Dragon

http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?thread=[INSERT THREAD ID]&sort=thanks&date_to=&date_from=&query=%2A

Put the thread ID in instead of the square brackets in that link. The thread ID is the number after "t=" in the "legacy" skin.

I don't know how to do it on the new site as the URL structure is different and search was borked the last time I looked at it.

Ugh.

That's so messy. Isnt there an easier way?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,726 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

No.

No.

Well there should be. Boards needs an update as it's lagging behind other forums and the likes of Reddit etc.

Reddit is a complete mess. Forums in general, including reddit, are lagging behind the rest of the internet.

Boards threads appear chronologically and aren't nested. It's a way of viewing a lot of people like. Some prefer nested comments displayed on a most popular first basis but that wouldn't make sense given the nature of the way discussion happens on this site.

If you're seriously so lazy that doing a bit of copypasta defeats you, maybe just stick to facebook?

• Advertisement

If you're seriously so lazy that doing a bit of copypasta defeats you, maybe just stick to facebook?

Now now. Dont start getting smart with me.

I gave my opinion. As a Mod you should more decorum, tact and maturity.

What you suggested doesnt look like copypasta. It looks more like complicated coding.

Lol. I took the time to answer your question over the holidays and got "ugh" back from you.

And I should have tact and decorum.

When you grow up, you'll start to gradually glean an understanding of what is irony. You'll look back and laugh. Laugh so you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,557 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Why would you want to? seriously this would just mess up the whole debate/discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Ugh.

That's so messy. Isnt there an easier way?

Yeah, it's total rocket science...

http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?thread=2057685914&sort=thanks&date_to=&date_from=&query=%2A

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Reddit is a complete mess. Forums in general, including reddit, are lagging behind the rest of the internet.

Boards threads appear chronologically and aren't nested. It's a way of viewing a lot of people like. Some prefer nested comments displayed on a most popular first basis but that wouldn't make sense given the nature of the way discussion happens on this site.

Maybe some Ann and Barry to keep him occupied :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

No. It is not.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Well there should be.

Why should there be? Boards is structured so that conversations flow in a linear fashion. It simply wouldn't make any sense to take the most thanked posts from a given thread and read them in that order but completely out of context.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Zaph wrote: »
    Why should there be? Boards is structured so that conversations flow in a linear fashion. It simply wouldn't make any sense to take the most thanked posts from a given thread and read them in that order but completely out of context.

While that may be true for dedicated sub forums, places like after hours are crying out for a feature like the OP mentions. Threads, in particular trending ones can turn multi page very very quickly and for a browser who has little time to read multi pages and probably does not necessarily want to become engaged in the discussion (if you could even call some of the afterhour threads that?) may want to view the most thanks in order to read the most amusing posts / filter out the non funny noise / posts

• Registered Users Posts: 11,002 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

While that may be true for dedicated sub forums, places like after hours are crying out for a feature like the OP mentions. Threads, in particular trending ones can turn multi page very very quickly and for a browser who has little time to read multi pages and probably does not necessarily want to become engaged in the discussion (if you could even call some of the afterhour threads that?) may want to view the most thanks in order to read the most amusing posts / filter out the non funny noise / posts

So you want to get others to tell you what you should find funny?

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

So you want to get others to tell you what you should find funny?

Yes that's exactly what I said, well done

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Would be a good tool for threads that don't need to be read in chronological order - AH has plenty of those threads (Add a word to change a film title style threads).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,002 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Yes that's exactly what I said, well done

Yep, pretty much. And thanks. ;)
    may want to view the most thanks in order to read the most amusing posts

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

404806.png

404808.png

404805.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭Johnboner

Hahahaha you make me laugh, now off to gulag.

Advertisement