Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are any of your heroes still alive?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

Willie Hugh Nelson. Complete absolute legend. 83 years old and still standing tall. Long may he continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Skommando wrote: »
    My hero's are the voluntary home carers that give up their own lives to care for those in their family unable to look after themselves, and the disabled people that struggle 24/7/365 for their entire life to live as best they can despite their disability. These people are the real hero's of this world.
    While this is a valid statement, the wording especially the last line makes it read more like a guilt trip than anything else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Willie Hugh Nelson. Complete absolute legend. 83 years old and still standing tall. Long may he continue.

To quote Willie.....My heroes have always been cowboys

I wouldn't go as far as to call them "heroes" but I'd be fairly gutted if/when Nick Cave or Björk pass away. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

He's only 5' 6".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Federico Tesio - dead
    Lester Piggott - alive
    Gary Kildall - dead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

My hero was a Rhodes scholar, a champion amateur boxer, a helicopter pilot (military and commerical), a floor sweeper and a bartender, and he's still very much alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

One of mine just died today at the great age of 96 his books have stayed with me since childhood.

RIP Richard Adams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Pretzill wrote: »
    One of mine just died today at the great age of 96 his books have stayed with me since childhood.

RIP Richard Adams
    Just saw that alright:(

You have to go when the black rabbit calls you

• Advertisement

My hero was a Rhodes scholar, a champion amateur boxer, a helicopter pilot (military and commerical), a floor sweeper and a bartender, and he's still very much alive.

"Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose
    Nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free"

One of my favourites:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I ain't saying this year is kicking everyone's ass so far.

diomed wrote: »
    He's only 5' 6".

He will always be a giant to me:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

2016 has taken some of my heroes sadly.

David Bowie.......just a legend, creative with an amazing talent for music and reinventing himself.

Andrew Sachs.......in today's pc world his portrayal of Manuel would probably be offensive, but his character always made me laugh.

Mohammed Ali............reminds me of my childhood and I like his mantra...float like a butterfly and sting like a bee.

Leonard Cohen........sad songs with the most poetic lyrics that chill you to the bone.

Terry Wogan......hated Blankety Blank, but I think Terry did too, I just admired his dry wit as only a Limerick man can deliver with a straight face.

George Michael.............danced my first dance with my now husband to "Last Christmas" many moons ago.

Carrie Fisher.............I'll never be able to watch Star Wars again without sadness.

Zsa Zsa Gabor.......makes Kim Kardashian look like a complete amateur

Alan Rickman...........watched the "Harry Potter" movie over Christmas, it took me a few seconds to register he was no longer with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Brinimartini

James Taylor still going strong

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

David Attenborough is still alive and kicking at 90......getting slightly concerned for him now though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Skommando wrote: »
    My hero's are the voluntary home carers that give up their own lives to care for those in their family unable to look after themselves, and the disabled people that struggle 24/7/365 for their entire life to live as best they can despite their disability. These people are the real hero's of this world.

You're correct....it's a shame you felt the need to be so snotty about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Whatever happened to Leon Trotsky.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Goddamn it, we still have Carrie Fisher.

:(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

HS3 wrote: »
    Anyhooo. ...Dirk Benedict still alive and kicking. Thank feck!

And I post on boards too!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 267 ✭✭Train Dragon

faceman wrote: »
    And I post on boards too!

If I could make sweet love to just one Boards avatar, it would be yours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Lady Spangles

Yes. The three remaining members of Queen are still going strong (a bit of a wobble with Brian May falling ill, but that seems well under control). Likewise, for the remainder of Led Zeppelin. I am still reeling from Bowie, though. :(

Richard Dawkins is still hanging on in there and he must be kicking his eighties by now. Stephen Hawking the same (despite all odds for many years now).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

Kevin Foley - pretty sure he's still going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Maudlin auld pish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Whatever happened to Leon Trotsky.....

Murdered in Mexico many moon ago.

There was a life lesson learned. Never trust anyone carrying an ice axe in Mexico.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,518 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Murdered in Mexico many moon ago.

There was a life lesson learned. Never trust anyone carrying an ice axe in Mexico.

Whoosh.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

From the world of popular music, Bowie,Rick Wright Eric Clapton is still going, as is Peter Gabriel, George Harrison, John Lennon, Brian Eno, Elton John & Bernie Taupin, so I'm glad about that, Mc Cartney too ... and from the sporting world; Ali, Kenny Norton, Calvin Smith, Carl Lewis, Marvin Hagler, Mark Spitz, Daley Thompson, Coghlan, Coe & Ovette . . . . . . .

Loads still alive, and sadly, sooooo many now dead too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

Esel wrote: »
    Whoosh.

That made his ears burn

Advertisement