Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photographers out hunting

• 26-12-2016 11:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭

So I really don't want to come across as having another moan about hunting, but I was just wondering if (m)any photographers follow your hunts often? And especially over the Christmas season? And I suppose my main question is how do you find they behave in general?

The reason I ask is that I happened to be on foot for our local hunt this year (first time in years) and was initially pleased to see at least one professional photographer following (who doesn't like to see all the photos from the day's actions, whether they be flattering or otherwise?! :P) However, the photographer in question soon stopped their quad in the middle of the road in the town in order to run into a yard about 60 metres off road) to take some shots. A few hunt organisers did try and sort it pretty quickly and shouted at the person in question to move the quad. The photographer did so, but didn't seem too pleased. Neither were the the 10+ cars that had been held up by the quad being dumped on the road rather than the rather large footpath or entrance that could have been used.

Anyway, all sorted and the 100 or so horses and 100s of foot followers went down to the first draw, which is nicely at the edge of the town and great footpaths and roadways into the first draw, which is perfectly fenced and gated for such an event.... (if we wanted to design a location for such an event, it couldn't be done better!! :D) The photographer went ahead of the horses and was well placed in the field just inside the gate to get some great shots. Then they needed to leave the location before the people left so photos at the next draw could be snapped. Nothing wrong whatsoever.

However.... (and there's always an 'however'.... :() when leaving the field there were loads of people in the gateway and unlike people on horseback the photographer didn't shout excuse me, watch your backs, out of my way, etc. They just drove out pretty quickly and narrowly missed a girl who was trying to hop out of the way. The photographer didn't break or slow down, but just expected her to hop out of the way. The girl said nothing, but the photographer turned around and gave her a dirty look.

Thankfully there was no incident, with the girl, or any of the children or dogs who were on leads, but it did get me thinking a little...

I've not actually seen a photographer 'behave' like that before. I know plenty of professional photographers (like the one in question today) who do this for a living, and have followed them at shows and events, both equestrian and otherwise, and have met loads of them out following hunts on any given day (including St. Stephen's Day) and they couldn't be nicer. They are lovely to everyone, always willing to have a chat and talk about the day's hunting, asking where the best places are to go and get some nice photos, and even asking landowners if they'd mind them taking photos on their land. So I don't want it to come across that you think I'm having a 'go' at photographers - I'm not, at all, in any shape or form. I've just never seen a photographer following a hunt behave like that today, or happily drive their quad in on someone's land without permission (I was chatting to the owner, so I know they definitely didn't ask.... but that's beside the point). So I said I'd come here and ask on people's experiences.

Who else will be able to give me an honest insight other than you guys! :D

And PS - I hope any of you out hunting today had a brilliant day out and came home nice and clean! It was great weather, too - no rain or snow!!! :pac:

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Grrrrr, how dare they! I was at a Stephen's Day meet where this certainly wouldn't be tolerated!

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭missloulou

Its a shame some don't have basic manners.

At the end of the day I feel it is up to the hunt to keep the photographers, who have permission to shoot, in line and call them on bad behaviour. Just like if the foot followers were causing trouble on peoples land they would have to have a word.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

My brother in law covers one of our local hunts every weekend. He started off just taking snaps as his kids were involved and as we are into horses as well, we started following a few and bringing the cameras. We've always got permission for those involved organising and even have become quite good friends with them over the last few years. As they help out as well, landowners have never had any problems letting them in first to get set up. When I tag along we'd split up and make sure neither of us are shooting the same jumps. Have rarely seen any professional guys at one but with the quality of my BIL's snaps, they don't need a professional following them around. Afterwards nearly everyone involved can't wait for the photo to be uploaded and shared!!

One thing to mention and sorry got going off topic, I think they should consider renaming them from "Hunts" to something else. Too many people still brand you barbaric and comment on the "poor fox" as soon as you mention hunt. We've been following hunts for a good few years and this year my kids have started riding out in them but not one have we been on one where the whole point of the day was to catch a fox. Most of the hounds are now trained to follow a diesel / kerosene scent!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

As an amateur photographer that has followed the odd hunt I actually find that photographer's behaviour pretty disgraceful. Would a complaint in about him to the hunt be worth anything? I know its a little late now, but I think he needs to realise where is bread is buttered if I am honest, particularly as the hunt is not there for him to make money off.

If the hunt asked me to climb and tree and take a shot upside down then TBH I would feel obliged to, I'm not there to get in their way and cause hassle or take enjoyment away from anyone who is partaking. in fact I am there to create memories for people, provided the hunt is happy with it. If they asked me to quit or to leave then I would have to. I think behaving the way that photographer did is out of order in my opinion. Its also left people talking about his behaviour after the event instead of the events of the day and reminiscing about the thrills and spills. It leaves a bad taste! blocking traffic with the quad is bad press for the hunt and leaves negative feelings with those not in anyway associated with the hunt, which isn't good for them at all

With regards to entering private property, I need make sure that the landowner is happy to have me there as a photographer, it is their private property and I have no right by law to:
    1) Enter private property without the landowner's permission
    2) Photograph it or people on it without the landowners permission.

Sometimes this needs to be arranged through the hunt themselves which makes it easier. I cerntainly wouldn't drive a quad across someone's land without their permission as I would be worried about damaging it. (horses I know do damage but they have permission)

One thing that also crops up a lot is that most photographers at these events if they are interfering with the run of things, should have public liability insurance to cover them if they cause an accident if they are professional photographers.

Advertisement