Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Films that foolishly fooled you with their trailers

• 27-12-2016 12:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭

Sum of all fears.

Nuclear warheads. Big convention. Dramatic silence. Phone rings. Tension. Another phone rings. OMG. All the phones ring!!!! Ahhhhhhh!

Borefest of a film.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

The girl on the train... not the fast paced mystery the trailer touted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Prometheus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Funny people, turned out to be the usual overly long Appatow ****.
    Prometheus

That did have a fantastic trailer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Suicide Squad - shyte
    Anchorman 2 - shyte
    Zoolander 2 - shyte
    Independance Day 2 - shyte
    Sausage Party - shyyyyyte

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Suicide Squad - shyte
    Anchorman 2 - shyte
    Zoolander 2 - shyte

Complete and utter sh*te!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Suicide Squad - shyte
    Anchorman 2 - shyte
    Zoolander 2 - shyte

Couldn't agree with you more on any of these.

I was talking about Sausage Party with a mate who had watched it (poor fella), and almost like The Ring, he wanted me to witness the 'orgy' scene.

I wish I could erase that from my memory. I'd worry about anyone who found any of it funny. In all fairness the trailer was sh*te for it, so I knew to completely avoid it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Funny people, turned out to be the usual overly long Appatow ****.

Came in to post this for the opposite reason. Trailer made it seem like the usual Appatow **** but it was actually ok and different from his usual comedy sh!te.

Still features his annoying f*ck of a wife though.

Cyrus is one for me. Trailer and cast made it seem like an outright comedy where as it was just weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Coyote Ugly. Promised loads of girls dancing on bars and turns into a chick flick about a girl who wants to write songs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Cyrus is one for me. Trailer and cast made it seem like an outright comedy where as it was just weird.

On that note, another is the weather man. Made it seem almost like a bog standard comedy when it was more unusual and dark in parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Rogue one.

Trailer didn't impress me.

Movie was absolutely fantastic!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

Rogue One - crap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Batman v Superman - the trailers were better than the movie itself, though the extra 30 mins in the Ultimate Edition Blu Ray version went a little to improve it.

Others that come to mind:-

Battleship - more American patriotism nonsense and Rhiana ffs.
    The Davinci Code, Angels and Demons, Inferno - all promised a lot but ultimately delivered poorly.
    Spring Breakers - trailer looked good but meh.
    Godzilla (the most recent one) - again promised to be great but wasn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Hancock.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Daz24

Predators with Adrian Brody. Trailer showed like 20 different predators targeting him with lasers. Never happened really disappointed by it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

The second Jack Reacher film, a complete bore fest just felt like Tom was doing it for the sake of doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Crea wrote: »
    Rogue One - crap!

Try flushing it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

Try flushing it again.

No amount of flushing would get rid of that turd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭political analyst

Sum of all fears.

Nuclear warheads. Big convention. Dramatic silence. Phone rings. Tension. Another phone rings. OMG. All the phones ring!!!! Ahhhhhhh!

Borefest of a film.

You think that a film involving a nuclear bomb as a prominent element of the plot is a borefest?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Catfish.

Expected a found-footage horror that would disappoint me. Got a fake documentary that disappointed me instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The flag

Tripe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Trailers condense the best parts of the movie into 3 minutes with emotional dramatic music with sharp key changes and seductive soundbites like "life affirming" "stunningly realized" "uplifting" etc used as the music reaches a creshendo. If its comedy "outrageously funny" horror "insanely scary" etc etc
    Pure psychology. Most of the films with these trailers are pure garbage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I remember years ago seeing the trailer for Fight Club and thinking "what a crock of sh1t"... months passing and a few mates recommending and me passing it up until finally I relented and completely loved it. if ever a movie undersold itself in a trailer it was Fight Club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Mission impossible, the big action set piece finale was the trailer, bizarrely

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

A million ways to die in the West.

The trailer wasn't at all funny, yet was funnier than the actual movie.

Pure fcuk!ng sh!te

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭Stigura

Oh god. There's a film I've set my heart on seeing ~ based purely on the adverts. I'm now mortified that it may turn out to be complete shyte :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

The Lobster, what a load of boll©ks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Legend (the Tom Hardy as the Kray Twins one).

Looked stonkingly good on the trailer. Actual film, not so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭Archeron

Gone in 60 seconds looked very good in the trailer . They lied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Any of the recent Star Wars films, all muck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭9or10

Knew the story anyway.

The trailer - brilliant - "Look at me. I am Captain."

Film - meh. Couldn't be bothered to watch it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Jarhead was a big letdown from the trailer.

It gave the impression that there was loads of action when in fact there was hardly any.

The Suicide Squad trailer was a recent example of getting people excited for an average movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Bad Santa 2. It looked hilarious in the trailer but it was awful. Not a patch on the original.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Alexander, felt like asking for my money back on the way out of the cinema.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Blazer wrote: »
    Any of the recent Star Wars films, all muck.
    I thought the recent Rogue One an OK flic. Nothing mind-blowing and I found it hard to connect with any of the characters, but OK. At least it was an original story, unlike the other empty ponced up marketing exercise dreck that was The Farce Awakens. Then again it was Abrams, so empty ponced up marketing exercise dreck one kinda expects.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Calvary- such rot! On foot of the trailer I was really excited for it, but from the opening few seconds it got my back up and continued to do so throughout. Went to see it with my housemates. One of them fell asleep for about 20 minutes and I was struggling to keep awake too. From the minute the lights came up at the end, all the way out to the car park, on the drive back and then for about 30 minutes more at home we bitched and bitched about how bad it was.

Foxcatcher was a letdown too, after a trailer that promised so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

K.Flyer wrote: »
    The Lobster, what a load of boll©ks.

Its an incredibly clever and layered film that shows society has no tolerance for single people and the incessant push and pressures to be in a relationship creating a warped hate filled society trying to force love to happen.. Just cos its surrealist and deals mainly in metaphor doesnt mean its bad it shows the movies depth. I for one like it. Delighted to see a deep surreal Irish film. God knows they are very very few and far between. Tired of dumbed down muck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭jimmy blevins

A film that has a trailer that features audience reaction is guaranteed to be rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Collateral Beauty.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Waaaay too many too list here, I hate trailers, they always spoil the good bits of the movie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

The Drop. It wasn't a bad film, it just didn't live up to the trailer that played at the start of every movie I seen in the cinema for about a year.

It's a fantastic trailer and the song choice is the perfect compliment but the film does drag a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

mikeym wrote: »
    Jarhead was a big letdown from the trailer.

It gave the impression that there was loads of action when in fact there was hardly any.

The Suicide Squad trailer was a recent example of getting people excited for an average movie.

That's pretty meta of Jarhead, give that's an actual theme of the movie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Django unchained, apart from about 3 good scenes the story was all over the place and it was pure horse sh1t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Yellow pack crisps

Black Mass! Awful! Tried to be goodfellas ended up as a badly tasting pizza!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

No-one mentioned The Phantom Menace yet? The movie that got a generation of new and old Star Wars film ultra hyped for what turned out to be a CGI mess of boredom, speeches and Jar Jar!

On the plus side, Eddie Murphy's latest one "Mr Church" came across as a ok drama that might be worth a look. Watched it last night. One of the best films I've seen in ages but not for those who want 'splosions and cool effects. Just a very good movie that shows Eddie Murphy is still far better than a lot of the shyte he did in the last 15-20 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Yellow pack crisps

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    No-one mentioned The Phantom Menace yet? The movie that got a generation of new and old Star Wars film ultra hyped for what turned out to be a CGI mess of boredom, speeches and Jar Jar!

On the plus side, Eddie Murphy's latest one "Mr Church" came across as a ok drama that might be worth a look. Watched it last night. One of the best films I've seen in ages but not for those who want 'splosions and cool effects. Just a very good movie that shows Eddie Murphy is still far better than a lot of the shyte he did in the last 15-20 years.

You have to watch low budget films to get an actual interesting story now. The art of storytelling is dead in Hollywood replaced by storytelling by moving pictures! Involving blowing up things and the occasional witty response. I watched Wardogs which i quite liked even though it ripped of the wolf of wall street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Recently watched "The Infiltrator" after getting hyped up over the trailer and was very disappointed. Was expecting this smart double crossing/ multi twist plotline but was just so straight and boring right to the finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Alexander, felt like asking for my money back on the way out of the cinema.

Agreed, had potential but just didn't work with Colin as Alexander.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

Russia House w Connery and Pfeifer

Soporific rubbish .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

You have to watch low budget films to get an actual interesting story now.

Yeah I recently watched These Final Hours, a low budget Australian film about the end of the world. It was better than most Hollywood blockbusters of the same topic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement