Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wet 'n' wild

Options
  • 27-12-2016 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭

What? As the name suggests....this log is mostly about water. Aim is to do the Lee swim this year and any other open water swims I come across along the way. Also want to do a few sportives if time allows for training.

Why? No time for triathlon. Injured knee a couple of years ago and any consistent running will hurt...and I'm slow. Cycling is somewhat similar. Get an ache after long cycles, no real pain anymore but numerous bikefits and rehabilitation hasn't helped.

Who? 39. Used to row reasonably competitively and then cycle. Last serious year of cycling was 2010! Always kept somewhat fit but nothing structured since then.

The now. Can swim. Self taught in my 20s so slow but can swim for distance relatively easily. Challenge will be open water.....always been a bit afraid of the water but love water sports. Cant figure it out. Current pool sessions are a out 2k mix of drills etc. Longest non stop swim is 1 mile indoors.

Plan. Try 5 sessions a week. 2 to 3 of swimming and 2 of kettlebells. In March swap out kettlebells for at least one day of cycling and if knee okay get a turbo. All pool sessions now but in April will try to make 1 of those open water. Local is seapoint but from Cork so hopefully will get a few in myrtleville.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

Day 1 of log.

Monday. Cycling. 46.9km with 23.5kmhr average. Nice cycle in Cork. City to beach....sunny day. First cycle in months other than commute. Felt good but knee a bit aching now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Ryder wrote: »
    Day 1 of log.

Monday. Cycling. 46.9km with 23.5kmhr average. Nice cycle in Cork. City to beach....sunny day. First cycle in months other than commute. Felt good but knee a bit aching now.

Couple of good lady coaches based in Cork. One is a regular in Myrtleville and has lots of open water achievements.

Another lady had been based in Silversprings hotel

ford2600 wrote: »
    Couple of good lady coaches based in Cork. One is a regular in Myrtleville and has lots of open water achievements.

Another lady had been based in Silversprings hotel

Thanks. From Cork but living in Dublin years now. Down about 4 times a year so will try to get some coaching in Dublin

Week 1
    Tuesday. Cycling 53.3km at 26.4kmhr average in North Cork. Kept HR at Z3/4 for most of it. Knee tiny bit aching now but not bad. Hopefully will improve with some foam rolling.

Week 1 Wednesday. Swimming 2.3km

400m warm-up. 100m at moderate pave with pull buoy and without.....2min each....so presumably i don't have a major positioning problem. 50m X 2 singlr9arm only. Main set 11 X 100m at 220. First five were 158 each...then got very sloppy.

Overall good session. I think stroke rate is still too low. Garmin swim gives me a figure of 20 per minute and considering the only drills I logged were 100m single arm, that umber must be reflective of my actual. Watching my arms at the last length I reach and drop the elbow. Need to work on initiating the stroke as soon as my hand enters the water.....more waterpolo and doggy paddle drills

• Advertisement

Bad week....work, family and early closing hours meant that the only other thing done this week was 1 cycle.

Week 1. Sunday
    Cycle 70 mins in evening out to DunLaoighre.

Week 2 Monday
    3 rounds of 12XKB swing @ 40kg, 10 parallette press up, 10 single arm row each side at 32kg and 5 each side of Turkish get up at 24kg. 1 min jump rope between rounds

Week 2 Tuesday.

Swimming. 2.05k in 45mins swimming time. 400m warm up. 150m drills (25m waterpolo and 25 free by 3) 250m paddles and main set of 400m by 3. 8.05, 815, 829.

Seems that my cruising pace is faster than my 'fast' pace from the above. Swimming felt good tonight....focused on looking forward and swimming on top of water than my usual of looking down and sinking down.

Week 3 Wednesday

Nothing. Some quad foam rolling and 2 X 10 wall squats to strengthen VMO

Thursday
    SS cycle. 46km in 2.08 hrs. Av HR 132

Week 3 Saturday

Swim 2450m. Warmup, waterpolo doggy paddle and 636 drills and 1300m steady state

Hope to join masters swim group next week

Sunday

Cycle 50k to Howth and back

• Advertisement
Advertisement