Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas tree question.

Options
  • 27-12-2016 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭

Would it be possible to replant a cut Christmas Tree in the back garden? It's currently standing in a bucket of water.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,058 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

The olde can I replant my Christmas tree thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,058 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Cost nothing to try. I think you need to trim bottom row of branches and remove needles, then hope they act as a root. Need to bury it deep enough to cover bottom row of the cleaned branches. Add rooting powder too.
    Might work, sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It would certainly be possible. You could grow peas up it in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

chicorytip wrote: »
    Would it be possible to replant a cut Christmas Tree in the back garden? It's currently standing in a bucket of water.

Yes of course it is possible, but it won't be alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Zero chance. Even the potted ones with the roots usually die after being kept in a warm room for a few weeks during what should be their dormant season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

recedite wrote: »
    Zero chance. Even the potted ones with the roots usually die after being kept in a warm room for a few weeks during what should be their dormant season.

Well there you have it folks the authority has spoken.
    Don't even bother trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Zero chance...usually die ...
    And those unusual ones that don't?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

GrumpyMe wrote: »
    And those unusual ones that don't?:D
    They die the following year ;)
    But if you kept them in a cool room at Christmastime, and then only for a week or two, and watered them well during the summers, you could probably keep them alive for a few years.

They die the following year ;)
    But if you kept them in a cool room at Christmastime, and then only for a week or two, and watered them well during the summers, you could probably keep them alive for a few years.

This is a cut Christmas tree, it doesn't have any roots atall atall.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

look at it this way - the usual advice re growing from cuttings is to take a cutting usually less than six inches long, cut some excess foliage off, and keep it moist till you can get it in the ground, usually within a few minutes hopefully.
    a christmas tree is a six foot cutting that has been kept in a warm room for five weeks with no water, and is then going to be transplanted outside. not much chance.

• Advertisement

And there are spectacularly few trees that will sprout roots from a main stem - willow is a possible exception - and conifers are way down that list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Melodeon

I've had cut willow logs on the forest floor sending shoots up and roots down, but a conifer is effectively stone dead the moment it's cut.
    My grandmother could have stuck the leg of a chair in the ground and it would've taken root, but even she would have been at nothing trying to do it with a conifer/Christmas tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭blackbox

Even if it did grow, a Christmas tree is not something you are likely to really
    want in your back garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

blackbox wrote: »
    Even if it did grow, a Christmas tree is not something you are likely to really
    want in your back garden.

Why on earth not?

I have planted a few beautiful abies koreana in my garden and light them up at Christmas with battery powered lights. They look fab if I do say so myself.

I think they are greatin a formal setting, or dotted into informal.

Unless your idea of an ideal back garden is a flat square of grass surrounded by leylandii, they fit plenty of planting situations.

Advertisement