Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buggy for walking

Options
  • 27-12-2016 9:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭

Hi all
    Know nothing about buggies and to be honest would prefer advice here rather than trawling through internet sites for reviews.
    I live beside a park and dont have a car so my main concerns are 1. Light and easy to push around park when trying to walk off baby pounds and 2. Narrow and tidy for public transport in and out of the shops etc.
    I know they come with all sorts of bells and whistles but they are my main concerns.
    Also we are lucky enough that budget isnt a problem as the in laws have kindly offered to pay.
    Baby will be born in May all going well. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

I have a mountain buggy duet (I have twins) and it is fab. Really easy to push around and quite sturdy. I have brought it up a mountain path, onto the beach, over cobbled streets, into town on Christmas week! and never had an issue with it. I am sure they do single buggies too and I couldn't recommend them highly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

If you plan on a second child in the future get one that can turn into a double and back again eg uppa baby or city select.

You will want a decent basket underneath (for groceries, baby bag etc), a good long sun visor, full recline for sleeping. Go to a shop and check the height for you pushing. I personally prefer the four wheels over three for getting up and down curbs. Bar across as opposed to two handles is also better if you have to carry something eg bags or hold a child's hand - easier to push one handed

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Rua1

Perhaps a mountain buggy swift? It's pretty compact, but is an all terrain buggy. I'm not sure where you are located, but I know they are in eurobaby in Dublin on the longmile road.

The phil and teds dot is small enough too, and can be converted to a double, if needs be in the future. I saw one of these in mothercare today, and I think it was 499 for the buggy with double kit.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The Out n about nipper is brilliant for walking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Do you plan on running with it?

I have a joie mirrus for out and about walking-very very light, decent sun visor, one hand fold, suitable from birth. Narrow, super for the bus etc. Stands up when folded, its brilliant. Great value. My childminder likes it so much I rarely have it at home and half her estate have now bought it rofl

I also have a second hand phil and teds which I got for 50e (after a LOT of adverts watching) for what I fondly call my w'ogging :) I'm working on getting fit and wanted something suitable for running with. It has proper bicycle tyres so its got a brilliantly smooth ride for my toddler-he loves it. It was recommended by a mate who does proper running with it, I'm just working up to jogging. Has a wrist strap and huge basket underneath. It can also be a double though you lose the storage. I've promised myself a brand new one if I keep up the walking/running for a full year (June 2017) as the tracking is slightly out on this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I have a Baby Jogger City Mini - for my needs (I live in London and use public transport very frequently, walk a good bit and we also live in a first floor apartment with no lift) it's great. I also have a BOB Ironman for running but that's not an everyday buggy at all!

Out n About Nipper would be a decent jack of all trades buggy though - not that heavy and quite good to run with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Out n about nipper. It's neat, manuverable, cosy, reclines fully for newborn, and takes a hell of a lot of abuse. We have ours nearly 6 years and I still jog with it 4 times a week. It's the bizz.

pwurple wrote: »
    Out n about nipper. It's neat, manuverable, cosy, reclines fully for newborn, and takes a hell of a lot of abuse. We have ours nearly 6 years and I still jog with it 4 times a week. It's the bizz.

Can I just confirm you are jogging/running with the nipper? It's not one that pops up on searches for running buggys but I've promised myself I'll treat myself in June when I'm a year into get fit and I'm looking at a new Phil and teds sport which wouldn't have a slight pull to the side due to age but I'm open to suggestions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭mrsmags16

Hey guys thanks so much for the replies. Yep the plan is lots of brisk walking around the park so something light and durable for that; no jogging intended. Equally important is small and foldable due to very small hallway, using public transport etc.
    I like the look of the Phil and Teds dot and the out and about nipper too!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Uppababy is super for walking in any terrain, great storage basket and will take a second child no problem. But it's relatively wide and heavy, although it does fold, it will take up space. It may not fit through your front door, you'd definitely want to check it.

I know that's not a huge help, but it might rule it out for you. I've seen some single out and about nippers lately that look really neat. We have a double nipper, and it's a super buggy for walking although I'm not mad on the storage, but I think the Uppababy has me spoiled.

• Advertisement

Can I just confirm you are jogging/running with the nipper? It's not one that pops up on searches for running buggys but I've promised myself I'll treat myself in June when I'm a year into get fit and I'm looking at a new Phil and teds sport which wouldn't have a slight pull to the side due to age but I'm open to suggestions

I jog with mine anyway, a few times a week, and walk through rougher terrain. I'm not very fast mind! No races ever won, just a gentle jog.

There is a clip on the front wheel which sticks it more of a straight-line mode, if you get me.

Go wheel one around in tony kealy's, they will show you the setting on it.

I jog with mine anyway, a few times a week, and walk through rougher terrain. I'm not very fast mind! No races ever won, just a gentle jog.

There is a clip on the front wheel which sticks it more of a straight-line mode, if you get me.

Go wheel one around in tony kealy's, they will show you the setting on it.

Thanks. Yeah I popped into Bella baby today. They only had the double but even that is lighter than the phil and teds I'm using. The difference was pretty stark! Oh I would be what I fondly call a w'ogger lol. My jog is about as fast as others walk. How is it in a car do you know? The folded dimensions seem bigger than my phil and teds

Lol, I'm going to rob that one.

Yeah, it's light.

It fits in my car grand anyway.. i've a small enough boot, nissan leaf. The wheels clip off, but I've never needed too, apart from a flat tyre. Never had a phil and teds, sorry, can't say!

Lol, I'm going to rob that one.

Yeah, it's light.

It fits in my car grand anyway.. i've a small enough boot, nissan leaf. The wheels clip off, but I've never needed too, apart from a flat tyre. Never had a phil and teds, sorry, can't say!

Super thanks. Off to tony kealys/Bella baby this week so!

Advertisement