Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

We need to introduce the wren to the pale

• 27-12-2016 11:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭

Orlaigh & Oisin can amaze and astound their leafy south side neighbourhoods with their god given vocal talent and tin whistling whistle.

Average profit on wren day. 500 euro each. Start when they're 4. At 18 both the little angels will have 7,000 euro to fund their gap year and find themselves before embarking on Uni.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,654 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭A Battered Mars Bar

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

Hmm.

But traditionally you walk round to people's houses. They let you in. Bit of tin whistle. Then they give you 20 odd euro to leave.

Would the leafy sleepy southsiders welcome Orlaigh and Oisin in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭hairyslug

I'm not letting any strange kids into my house, god knows what weird stuff they would do to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

hairyslug wrote: »
    I'm not letting any strange kids into my house, god knows what weird stuff they would do to me.

It's not Children Of The Corn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭hairyslug

It's not Children Of The Corn.

You haven't lived in Arklow, have you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

No sense even trying. Irish culture is lost on jackeens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Most Dubliners are only 1 or 2 generations removed from culchies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Wtf are you on about OP? The garden bird that is a wren is already inhabiting Dublin if that's what you mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

If the Wren boys came to my door I would threaten them with a box of matches.
    Chancers the lot of them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

There's not much eating on a wren

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

A heart wrenching tale of lost culture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Don't the culchies a do a version of this in Dublin where they leave the kids on a busy street to play the tin whistle and screech out a bit of 'Danny boy' while they watch from their hi-ace and collect the money every now and again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The PC brigade will go into over drive if Dubs started hunting wrens, not that many in the area my parents are from ever arrived with a wren or a decent tune. We don't need another Irish tradition sanitized to a PC bore, let it go while looking back fondly.

I'd rather we get the burning tyres at the crossroads tradition, would extend the chaos of Halloween for the under worked fire people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Creeps calling around to demand money, eh?

RELEASE THE HOUNDS

Creeps calling around to demand money, eh?

RELEASE THE HOUNDS

Excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Town is already full of little Robin bastards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Pigeons seagulls crows peacocks cats...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The Wren Boy tradition is still active in Sandymount in Dublin. Fact is, outside of the South and West of Ireland, the Wren tradition is unknown. Don't mess with it - it is fine as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

biko wrote:

That's why we built the m50 like a ring fort to keep the ballygobackwards out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,800 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

It's really not much different to the shake-down that Dub parents inflict on every casual acquaintance during holy communion season.

Each to their own I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,119 ✭✭✭joeguevara

JupiterKid wrote: »
    The Wren Boy tradition is still active in Sandymount in Dublin. Fact is, outside of the South and West of Ireland, the Wren tradition is unknown. Don't mess with it - it is fine as it is.

Still hugely popular in Tipperary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

hytrogen wrote: »
    That's why we built the m50 like a ring fort to keep the ballygobackwards out

That's what they always tell the quarantined :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

biko wrote: »

It's been going on in Dublin as long as it's been going on in Kerry, Limerick, Sligo, Tip, France, Spain, Wales and the Isle of Man. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,370 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Obscure Paddy McGuinness/Take Me Out quote?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

joeguevara wrote: »
    Still hugely popular in Tipperary.

So is electing idiot politicians like Lowry and Mattie McGrath but you won't see a clamour to preserve that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,250 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

biko wrote: »

Wow! Stop there right now please. I'm a Jackeen. I never heard of the Wren Boys until Christmas 1982 in Oughterard, Co. Galway. My first ever experience of it. Got dressed up and toured the pubs of the town. Loved it and have embraced it into adulthood with many trips back west. However it is abused to fook these days with random kids coming into the pub making no effort and singing like a poxy reject from the first audition on X-Factor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

Oh yeah, just what I need, something that sounds like a rent boy but just involves singing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Oh yeah, just what I need, something that sounds like a rent boy but just involves singing...

What? You'd just prefer the rent boy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

What? You'd just prefer the rent boy?

Ideally boys plural but I'll take what I can get.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Alive and flapping in Carlow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,660 ✭✭✭✭Esel

What have the Goths ever done to you, OP?

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    What have the Goths ever done to you, OP?

They sacked Rome!!!

So is electing idiot politicians like Lowry and Mattie McGrath but you won't see a clamour to preserve that.

Neither of those are idiots. But sure get carried away with your thanks whoring.

Neither of those are idiots. But sure get carried away with your thanks whoring.

Corrupt idiots

Birneybau wrote: »
    Corrupt idiots

Well that just proves you don't know what your talking about. Mattie McGrath is on a personal crusade to dig out corruption. But sure why let the truth get in the way of thankswhoring...and how did the wren being popular in Tipperary get onto corrupt politicians?....morons

• Advertisement

Corrupt idiots

Well that just proves you don't know what your talking about. Mattie McGrath is on a personal crusade to dig out corruption. But sure why let the truth get in the way of thankswhoring...and how did the wren being popular in Tipperary get onto corrupt politicians?....morons

Defend Michael Lowry, please. Wtf

Defend Michael Lowry, please. Wtf

I just said HE wasn't an idiot! Capiche

Advertisement