Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

meh wrestlers who were briefly great

Options
  • 27-12-2016 11:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭

Vague premise so go wild.

R-Truth heel turn in 2011, the actual turn itself was great and there were a few weeks of him playing a great deranged crackhead. It quite quickly switched to wildly hit and miss comedy before finally settling on terrible comedy but he was tremendous fun for a patch there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

The run Swagger had with Zeb Coulter in tow was wholly entertaining/interesting. Peaked at the right time for Jack around Mania. Sh*tcanned for obvious reasons but the duo and push was far too brief.

What did it last roughly two or three half decent PPV appearances?

ECW Snitsky would be another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

MVP - Normally a very meh performer but during the Matt Hardy US Title feud he was brilliant in the 1 on 1 challenges etc.

Shane Douglas - At his best during his 92 tag run with Rickie Steamboat.

Lex Luger - His US title reign in 1989 was superb. After that it was all downhill.

Hernandez - During his tag run with Homicide as LAX in TNA. Outside of that he is awful.

Elix Skipper - That walk the cage moment vs AMW in TNA other than that he has no legacy in the biz

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

The Miz - right about the time he won the title originally....he is going thru another hot streak now, but I dislike him as an in ring performer immensely

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

The one that struck me even before I opened the thread was The Smoking Truth but unfortunately as mentioned in the OP that quickly changed from R-Truth being a hot heel to being a wacky fella with Little Jimmy.

Another one that always pops up is Sean O'Haire. Not a great wrestler but his brief "Devil's advocate" gimmick was... but I'm not telling you anything you don't already know.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Virgil was just a body guard of ted dibiase and then he turned face with the help of piper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,699 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Monty Brown but went he into self imposed exile from wrestling if he had stayed who knows.

Edit I read the title wrong.

A lot of the ECW roster who were bang average wrestlers gotten over by Heyman's booking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Maven , Absolutely rubbish but got a brief hot run when he eliminated Taker in the rumble he lived off that for a while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Sirsok wrote: »
    The Miz - right about the time he won the title originally....he is going thru another hot streak now, but I dislike him as an in ring performer immensely

I like the Miz a lot, but he was so absolutely on fire in late 2010 that it's kind of hard to believe it happened. Entirely his own doing too as opposed to stumbling into a great angle.

Difficult to say exactly how far they could have ran with it, but beyond the winning streak Ryback was always going to struggle, still doesn't stop him being one of very very few to get it to work so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

Wade Barrett with his bad news gimmick.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

Billy Gunn during virtually 70% of his WWE career. Was the standout of the Smoking Gunns....becomes Rockabilly....joins DX....turns heel but plays the same face "Mr. Ass" character...gets injured, loads of excitement over his return (at the time,got a huge pop on his first appearance iirc) and becomes the bland directionless "The One"....years if obscurity then Billy and Chuck....and then nothing again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

After seeing him in tna, Damien Sandow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Billy Gunn during virtually 70% of his WWE career. Was the standout of the Smoking Gunns....becomes Rockabilly....joins DX....turns heel but plays the same face "Mr. Ass" character...gets injured, loads of excitement over his return (at the time,got a huge pop on his first appearance iirc) and becomes the bland directionless "The One"....years if obscurity then Billy and Chuck....and then nothing again.

I'd say Billy Gunn during every single hot tag he had, big fast ****er so he came across amazing for a few seconds until it settled and you remembered it was **** promo, **** psychology, all around ****head Billy Gunn.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Summer of Punk? :)

After and before that - meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Cody when he got storyline fired was on fire withe goldust for a couple of months then returned to his Meh with stardust and now with his indie run

• Registered Users Posts: 11,012 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Kofi when he briefly feuded with Orton, but then he messed up the finish to a match and we got "Stupid, stupid, stupid!"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Lex of course, killing it in 1996 with his 'heel but friends with face' with Sting. Absolutely riveting stuff - and got way more charismatic/comfortable in front of the camera. And of course, the noises he made selling. WOAH! GAH! AGH! *mwah!*

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endaaaagh

Kozlov...great start coming out to no music, just a spotlight, destroying his opponents. Had a real "Ivan Drago" vibe....then along came trips and his shovel :-(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Mr Kennedy in the run to when he won MITB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Imnotthehulk

Hardcore Holly had fun runs in the hardcore division and as a tag team with Crash, but for much of his time in WWE was a bland piece of bullying ****. But he did have an absolutely fantastic match against Rob Van Dam in ECW.

And while I'm talking about bland pieces of bullying **** .... JBL turned into a great heel champion in his run with the World title. Previously he had a decent run with the APA, but apart from that was pretty crap. His run with the title, after being elevated by Eddie Guerrero, was great.

Advertisement