Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool vs Stoke City, 17:15, Sky Sports 1

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Corners could really do with some work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

No more corners and I'm in good money, just keep it in midfield please.

There was another

Sturridge denies Henderson a goal.

I dunno was it going in

Milner and Walters having a good one to one tonight.
    A good honest one to one from two great pros

On course for 100 goals this season

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Stoke are brutal but not to take it away from Liverpool, easy result in the end

Raging tbh but banking on Stoke to take points away from Liverpool at home is asking for alot

They are decent at grinding out results against other mid table and bottom teams, that's about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

On course for 100 goals this season

Tonight we've gotten Liverpools 100th league goal under Klopp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Liverpool v Man City will be an interesting game of association football on Saturday.

Princess Leia died
    Crap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Nicely done lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Just analysing a dismal performance of a player playing in a position he clearly isn't equipped for.

That's not true. You're a bit pee'd off about the result and dont like Johnson for whatever reason and trying to unfairly blame goals on him that were not his fault.

A suicidal back-pass from Shawcross was Johnson's fault in your "analytical" summary.

We all have players who we take a bit of a disliking to.

But some of us don't single out one player unfairly for our "analysis".

Great win. Happy Crimbo lads and ladies!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

That's not true. You're a bit pee'd off about the result and dont like Johnson for whatever reason and trying to unfairly blame goals on him that we not his fault.

A suicidal back-pass from Shawcross was Johnson's fault in your "analytical" summary.

We all have players who we take a bit of a disliking to.

But some of us don't single out one player unfairly for our "analysis".

I said earlier in the thread that his use of the ball was really poor for a right back turned centre back and that goal was a perfect example of that. Obviously Shawcross is at fault but the point is he shouldn't have been put in that situation in the first place, which he was due to Johnson's poor decision-making.

I have no vendetta against Johnson, I simply think he was the worst or a dysfunctional back 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I said earlier in the thread that his use of the ball was really poor for a right back turned centre back and that goal was a perfect example of that. Obviously Shawcross is at fault but the point is he shouldn't have been put in that situation in the first place, which he was due to Johnson's poor decision-making.

I have no vendetta against Johnson, I simply think he was the worst or a dysfunctional back 3.

In fairness he hasn't done any worse than Sagna/Kolorav/Zabaletta. These guys are RB/LB and are filling in where needed.

After a poor start it was a good performance by Liverpool.

Stoke were also excellent first 20 mins. Should have been two up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Thread of two halves, with a Stoke like collapse in the second.

Nice comfy win though.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    In fairness he hasn't done any worse than Sagna/Kolorav/Zabaletta. These guys are RB/LB and are filling in where needed.

I'd say purely on the ball wise it was the worst performance I've seen in a major league from a makeshift centre back this season.

Obviously Shawcross is at fault but the point is he shouldn't have been put in that situation in the first place, which he was due to Johnson's poor decision-making. .

What situation? Johnson played a simple average pass that you see 100 times per game and nobody forced Shawcross to turn around and play a blind pass to Sturridge.

He had several options. You just want to paint him (Johnson) as the villain for whatever reason and to be honest I was never a fan of his but it isn't right to blame him for something that wasn't his fault.

What situation? Johnson played a simple average pass that you see 100 times per game and nobody forced Shawcross to turn around and play a blind pass to Sturridge.

He had several options. You just want to paint him (Johnson) as the villain for whatever reason and to be honest I was never a fan of his but it isn't right to blame him for something that wasn't his fault.

Thing is though it wasn't. The spacing between the two players, the fact that there's pressure coming both from behind and in front of the team in possession and the fact that Shawcross is signalling to the player in possession that he doesn't want the ball make it different to a simple square pass between two defenders.

Undoubtedly the biggest error is that of Shawcross but it's a classic example of a player being set up to fail. Shawcross, in possession of that ball, can't do anything. He's under instant pressure, the only other option is a return pass to Johnson, which would only put a player whose already demonstrated a lack of ability on the ball in this game, under more pressure. Johnson, initially, has got options, he has a route back to the keeper, or, if he's more confident in possession (which you would think he should be) he should turn out with the ball and either drive forward or find a forward pass either to his full back or central midfielder. Again, it's not something that will be picked up on by the English media but it's something any coach worth their salt will note instantly.

Thing is though it wasn't. The spacing between the two players, the fact that there's pressure coming both from behind and in front of the team in possession and the fact that Shawcross is signalling to the player in possession that he doesn't want the ball make it different to a simple square pass between two defenders.

Undoubtedly the biggest error is that of Shawcross but it's a classic example of a player being set up to fail. Shawcross, in possession of that ball, can't do anything. He's under instant pressure, the only other option is a return pass to Johnson, which would only put a player whose already demonstrated a lack of ability on the ball in this game, under more pressure. Johnson, initially, has got options, he has a route back to the keeper, or, if he's more confident in possession (which you would think he should be) he should turn out with the ball and either drive forward or find a forward pass either to his full back or central midfielder. Again, it's not something that will be picked up on by the English media but it's something any coach worth their salt will note instantly.

Seriously?

Well, if its "something any coach worth their salt" should see then lets see how many people blame Johnson tomorrow.
    My guess is zero.
    You had a few other digs at him prior to the Shawcross mistake and it suits your agenda to blame him for things he didn't do.

It was already getting a bit weird with you mentioning him for every incident.

Again, I don't really care, it's just that you should be fair when judging a player.
    And you were on his tits from the start.

• Advertisement

Seriously?

Well, if its "something any coach worth their salt" should see then lets see how many people blame Johnson tomorrow.
    My guess is zero.
    You had a few other digs at him prior to the Shawcross mistake and it suits your agenda to blame him for things he didn't do.

It was already getting a bit weird with you mentioning him for every incident.

Again, I don't really care, it's just that you should be fair when judging a player.
    And you were on his tits from the start.

Of course they wont. How many top class coaches are actually employed by mainstreaming English speaking media? How many of those will have watched that game? How many of those will comment on anything from that game? I suspect though if you look a little harder (outside of the mainstream basically) you'll find a fairly decent analysis of that goal and the game as a whole and it should note Johnson's error in the part of that goal.

Yep, I said he had been poor on the ball. He was. There's no 2 ways about that. See how Azpilicueta, Mascherano or Kimmich performed as makeshift centre backs in a back 3, see how they carried the ball out of the back, or joined in with attacks or just distributed the ball simply but effectively to start attacks from deep and then see how poor Johnson's on-ball decisions looked in comparison.

The 3 centre backs looked uncomfortable throughout (strange given that Martin Indi's has played in a back 3 numerous times for club and country) but Johnson was the worst of the lot.

It was a cracking pass by Shawcross tbf. He's a nice lad too and deserves the plaudits

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    It was a cracking pass by Shawcross tbf. He's a nice lad too and deserves the plaudits

Not saying it wasn't. Only explaining that it should be taken into account how he was put into that position in the first place.

How many top class coaches are actually employed by mainstreaming English speaking media? How many of those will have watched that game? How many of those will comment on anything from that game?

Ah jaysus.

Ah jaysus.

Yep, that was a comment on the standard of football punditry in Britain and Ireland. It's extremely low. You can rely on me instead, I'm rather good. And so, on that note and having already said my piece I'm leaving.

I'm rather good.

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Bring on Moneybags Man City :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I'm god.

FYP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Think I might get glandular fever to see the team through till may.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

OwaynOTT wrote: »

Ring in dead maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

OwaynOTT wrote: »

I'll run you down in a car if you like? Bad enough so that you're off work for 5/6 months, but no so bad that you can't watch the matches. With the Judges and sentences in this country I'll probably be out the next day too, so... win-win :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Ring in dead maybe?

That old knexnut.
    Glico Man wrote: »
    I'll run you down in a car if you like? Bad enough so that you're off work for 5/6 months, but no so bad that you can't watch the matches. With the Judges and sentences in this country I'll probably be out the next day too, so... win-win :pac:

And with our compo issues, I'll have enough money to treat us all to a string of corporate boxes at the trophy presentation match.

Advertisement