Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do people feel about this? 84 taximen to be asked for DNA samples in rapist hunt

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

That's what I thought, but if you look at the linked article, it's very clear that no such permanent database is going to be created here. The UK has entirely jumped the shark in terms of becoming an Orwellian nightmare in recent years, I can't see Ireland ever following them down the hellish rabbit hole the Tories have pulled their country into.

Two words.

Fine Gael.

More Tory than the Tories themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

As a public servant I have no faith in "the system" or the people who run it.

They are arseholes, just like everybody else.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

How is that any different to finger prints?

Do the Gardai have everyones finger prints?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Everyone has fingerprints. If there are finger prints at the scene and there's a possibility you were in the vicinity then they should be able to check.

Should everyone be fingerprinted... I'm open minded about it. If it means it's a deterrent to crime being committed I'd be inclined to agree to it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 249 ✭✭Galway_Old_Man

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Trump for example - would anyone think it beyond the realms of possibility that he would open up a DNA database to private business? Insurance company's for example?
    It is a dangerous thing to take your liberties for granted as they are easily lost.

Absolutely. Perhaps (terrifyingly) Trump could even surpass Obama's abuse of DNA testing/profiling and the disastrous consequences in Pakistan/Afghanistan.
    The distrust sowed by the sham campaign in Pakistan could conceivably postpone polio eradication for 20 years, leading to 100,000 more cases that might otherwise not have occurred

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-cia-fake-vaccination-campaign-endangers-us-all/

Thanks Obama

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 440 ✭✭GritBiscuit

I imagine the number willing to give their DNA to the State would grow exponentially if the general public had faith that their details would be absolutely secure and guaranteed to be used honestly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Edit them to say what exactly?

To make sense.

Advertisement