Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NYE Fireworks?

Options
  • 27-12-2016 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Never ventured out in Galway on New year's Eve but I'm wondering does there be a fireworks display in the city that night? I can't see anything online mentioning it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

cefh17 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Never ventured out in Galway on New year's Eve but I'm wondering does there be a fireworks display in the city that night? I can't see anything online mentioning it

I don't think so, there hasn't been in the past anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭jogdish

I don't think so, there hasn't been in the past anyway.

There wer NYE fireworks once but like 10+ yeats back at an odd time like 6pm, but nothing in recent years, pity they are nice but also expensive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

They do be illegal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

snubbleste wrote: »
    They do be illegal

Not illegal at an organised gathering like a hotel after a wedding. Illegal to buy as an individual.

Not illegal at an organised gathering like a hotel after a wedding. Illegal to buy as an individual.
    the fireworks must be licensed for import and only if a professional fireworks operator is used. If you want to import fireworks into Ireland you must apply for a licence or get a professional fireworks operator to apply, on your behalf, to the Department of Justice and Equality.

Details which you must provide when applying include the following:
    Your name and address as the applicant
    The name and address of the organiser of the fireworks display
    The name and address of the operator of the display
    The name and address of the safety officer for the display
    The date, location and reason for the display

Furthermore you must confirm to the Department:
    That you have read and are aware of the contents of the Guidance Document on Organised Pyrotechnic Displays (pdf). This document is available fromthe Department.
    That all operators used in the display are competent, in accordance with the guidance document.
    That adequate public liability insurance is in place.
    That you have consulted the local authority Fire Officer.
    That you have consulted the local Gardaí.
    That you have consulted with all other relevant interested parties, for example, your neighbours.
    If granted, the licence allows you to import the fireworks and operate and display them in accordance with the terms set out in the licence.
    It is important to note that anyone who operates a fireworks display (even a small one in your own garden), without the appropriate licence is committing an offence which carries a maximum penalty of 5 years imprisonment.http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/criminal_law/criminal_offences/the_law_on_fireworks.html

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP, to get back to your question:

There is no civic New Year's event in Galway. Neither with nor without fireworks.

Sometimes a private event may include fireworks (and if this happens, to be legal is needs to meet certain regulations outline above) - and of course it's impossible to stop fireworks at a private event from being visible to everyone.

There have been fireworks at a New Year's eve event at least once in the last nine years. I couldn't tell you which year it was, though.

Radisson has a thingyimajiky floating on L Atalia,
    I assume that it is fireworks.
    Anyone know if an EIA has been done in particular regarding the lesser spotted otteress?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭jeoun

jogdish wrote: »
    There wer NYE fireworks once but like 10+ yeats back at an odd time like 6pm, but nothing in recent years, pity they are nice but also expensive.

That was December 31st 1999 - I remember watching them from Quincentenary Bridge!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Anyone know if an EIA has been done in particular regarding the lesser spotted otteress?

I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭Storm 10

That's a privately owned barge that the harbour moved from Nimmos Pier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

jeoun wrote: »
    That was December 31st 1999 - I remember watching them from Quincentenary Bridge!

:eek: I remember that too. That was so long ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Mars Bar wrote: »
    :eek: I remember that too. That was so long ago!

Almost 17 years ago in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I really think that as a city we need to become more demanding on the issue of fireworks!
    Why can't we ever have nice things?:(
    At the very least people should have to publicise private displays so we can all watch out for them.

Advertisement