Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can i go a bit bigger?

Options
  • 27-12-2016 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

hi all and seasons greeting,just wondering can i go a bit bigger on 223 ammo, have a rem 700 1 in 12 twist,was told im limited to 55 grain,and any heavier would keyhole,would like to try maybe 60+grain for long range targets,?thanks all....ps anyplace sell 60 grain 223 ammo?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

I can't remember offhand, but I think 60gr is marginal for 1:12 - you may be able to use them, depending on the projectile length.

I think Hornady make a 60gr ballistic tip in 223.

The heavier bullet only shows an advantage at extreme range, you may actually get better results out to 300m with lighter bullets.

It's been shown that flat shooting in cals like 223 depends more on velocity than bullet weight out to around that range.

Heavier bullets help in the wind and retain velocity a little better at extreme range, but a lot of guys here will tell you that the 40gr ballistic tips are very flat shooting and devastating.

I like the heavier bullets, but as I rarely shoot over 150yds, they have no practical advantage for me, except that my favourite 64gr Federals hit like a train at that distance - I know the ballistic tips are devastating; I used nothing else for a year or two - but I just like to flip them over with sheer power. Absolutely pointless, of course.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I doubt they'll stabilise.

I have a 1:9 and a 1:12 and neither do well with 75gr. I've tried a couple that i can find and none of them group well enough to keep using. Also 75gr are the equivalent of say 215gr in 308 or 105gr in 243. So not just heavy, but at the upper end of heavy.

I've found 40 to 55 gr work best in 1:12 and 62 to 69 gr work best in the 1:9.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Sorry for going O/T but how does one figure out the twist rate of a barrel ???

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

There are two ways i use:
    1. Check the manufacturers website. They'll usually have the info there.
    2. The cleaning rod method.

The cleaning rod method is actually fairly accurate. Here is what you do:
    • Get a cleaning rod.
    • Put on a mop or other cleaning head. Something that engages the lands/grooves.
    • Draw a line with a marker along the top of the rod for about 16 inches.
    • Mark 16, 1 inch markers along this line. Crossways so you have a "ladder" effect.
    • Place the rod into the bore of the rifle and push it about 3-4 inches down the bore while keeping the 16" line pointed as straight upwards as possible (to 12 O'Clock).
    • Now slowly push the rod down the rifle until the rod does a full revolution and the line returns to an upward facing position.
    • Make a note of the number of inches the rid has gone down the barrel. If its 8, 9, 12 then your rifle is an 1:8, 1:9, 1:12.
    • All of this is measured from the back of the reciever. Where the bolt would "touch" when closed. Just make sure one of the inch markers is dead level with it when starting.
    • Do this 2- 4 times to be sure.
    • If the rod starts on inch marker 3 and ends on inch marker 15 then it's 1:12. IOW it doesn't have to start at the first one.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement