Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need advice to upgrade my current rig

Options
  • 27-12-2016 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello !
    So I intend to upgrade my rig and I wonder if you guys could tell me if I'm making the best choice here
    My current rig:
    - gtx 970
    - 8gb ram ddr3 1600mhz
    - i7 2600k @ 3.8 ghz

What I want to buy
    - gtx 1070
    - another 8gb ram

I'm playing on 1080p60hz. Will my CPU bottleneck my next GPU ? Will I be able to play my games (witcher 3, bf1, dark souls 3 etc) at ultra 60 fps ? Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Eogard wrote: »
    Hello !
    So I intend to upgrade my rig and I wonder if you guys could tell me if I'm making the best choice here
    My current rig:
    - gtx 970
    - 8gb ram ddr3 1600mhz
    - i7 2600k @ 3.8 ghz

What I want to buy
    - gtx 1070
    - another 8gb ram

I'm playing on 1080p60hz. Will my CPU bottleneck my next GPU ? Will I be able to play my games (witcher 3, bf1, dark souls 3 etc) at ultra 60 fps ? Thanks :)

Should be no noticeable bottleneck. Any chance you can overclock your RAM?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Does overclocking ram make any noticeable difference?
    Have similar RAM in my own system too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Denny_Crane

Redfox25 wrote: »
    Does overclocking ram make any noticeable difference?
    Have similar RAM in my own system too.

It's situational but the gains can be very noticeable indeed, especially at lower resolutions. The ram should be able to take 1.65v if you've decent air flow. I'd aim for 2400Mhz, loosen the timings a bit if needed.

At a guess I gain 25% performance in FO4 from 1333Mhz RAM OC'd to 2133Mhz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yes, it will be fine, especially if overclocked, the 2600K is still an excellent processor and the extra threads mean it's now head and shoulders above 2nd and 3rd gen i5's in many of the latest games.

Ram speed does make a difference in some of the latest 2015/16 games, older titles, little to zero difference. With that 2600K the default ram support would be 1333mhz so overclocking is required.

Advertisement