Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quadcopter tree rescue

Options
  • 27-12-2016 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    So this is a long shot, toy quadcopter flew into a tree about 40-50 ft high, out the end of a branch.
    Not able to climb it, ladder is not practical(safe) and tried rope and hook etc.

Perhaps someone can loan a sling shot, nerf'd type bow/sling shot? Or has a suggestion?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

If it's just hanging on, then maybe a BB gun or an air rifle. Or just wait for the next gale to blow through.

Can you not just fly it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Muppet Man wrote: »
    If it's just hanging on, then maybe a BB gun or an air rifle.

Not it you want a firearms offence charge against yourself.

Op try posting in the model forum and see if anyone has a drone they might be able to help you out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Is it definitely 40-50 feet up or could it look higher than it is ?

Window cleaners do have long telescoping poles for cleaning high windows could be worth ringing a local company to ask what they have maybe ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭jogdish

Suppose could look higher, but it well outside of my range.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,441 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

A chimney cleaning brush or a set of rods?

• Advertisement

A chimney cleaning brush or a set of rods?

Tried, by the time they get any height the ones I have just flop over - i think they are designed to be bendy to handle turns in a chimney anyways, there is no real branch to balance them off.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Get another drone with a hook :) a fishing rod with a weight on the line and a good cast might reach it or fly a kite up to it and try to tangle it in the branch.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If it is indeed 15 meters up then a fishing rod with a weight (as suggested) is probably easiest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭Mech1

I have a chainsaw here if you need it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Throw a cat(s) at it? Stones? Another branch? A football?

• Advertisement

RossieMan wrote: »
    Throw a cat(s) at it?

Then when the cat is stuck, call the fire brigade to get the cat out.

Whilst they're up there, just throw out a comment of 'oh, i also happen to have lost a drone up there, if you see it will you pass it down to me'.

Or just call the fire station and if they're not doing anything they might give you a hand. Who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Dave0JV

Is it out of range of the controller? If not I know a lot of drones and quad copters have a built in bump function you can trigger that will shake it until it falls. Error of warning with this approach, be prepared to catch it because it bumping in midair can make it awkward to judge it's flight path.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Might be some handy hurlers around where you are? A Cúchulainn type of stroke might be required.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

My dad has this extendable arm thing , it's main purpose is to retrieve golf balls out of lakes, but recently he uses it more to take out nests from the gabels. Might be of use here.(not my actual dads yoke I mean to go get one from a golf shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

Then when the cat is stuck, call the fire brigade to get the cat out.

Whilst they're up there, just throw out a comment of 'oh, i also happen to have lost a drone up there, if you see it will you pass it down to me'.

Or just call the fire station and if they're not doing anything they might give you a hand. Who knows.

They might give you a hand but it will only cost you about €500 to get the fire brigade out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Odelay

Hoki wrote: »
    They might give you a hand but it will only cost you about €500 to get the fire brigade out :)

You never know, instead of a "come here now" call they may use it as a training opportunity at a time that suits them.
    Just don't call 999, maybe drop into them. All they can do is say no.

Hi, OP here,
    5 Bamboo sticks overlapping, about 2m each, lashed together with electrical tape did the job, got the quad down handy.

Sadly the quadcopter lifts to one side only now :( oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

jogdish wrote: »
    Hi, OP here,
    5 Bamboo sticks overlapping, about 2m each, lashed together with electrical tape did the job, got the quad down handy.

Sadly the quadcopter lifts to one side only now :( oh well.
    Change the rotors and it should be fine, replacements for a few Euro on Ebay, even if they look okay any little warp at all will be enough to throw it off.

Advertisement