Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turbo options

Options
  • 27-12-2016 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭

After 6 years waiting in vain for a sore knee to get better, in vain, I think it's time to get back to some cycling.

Looking to move on from rollers to a turbo. Quietness is my main need. Have no use for power or VR.

Cyclops fluid 2 is my first option but for 200 extra I could get a direct drive. Is it worth the extra? Have a relatively spare bike (my good one) that I could leave on the turbo. Any other benefits or anything else to consider?

Thanks

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Direct drive means not having to worry about tyre wear or putting a turbo tyre on. Beyond that, if you're not looking for power data I'm not sure there's much more in the way of benefit over a turbo with variable resistance and it being a bit quieter.

I would guess though that once you do get back into it you may feel the urge to upgrade and typically with bike-related stuff it works out more economical to get what you can now (although I guess that may actually result in upgrading even further!)

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

Beasty wrote: »
    Direct drive means not having to worry about tyre wear or putting a turbo tyre on. Beyond that, if you're not looking for power data I'm not sure there's much more in the way of benefit over a turbo with variable resistance and it being a bit quieter.

I would guess though that once you do get back into it you may feel the urge to upgrade and typically with bike-related stuff it works out more economical to get what you can now (although I guess that may actually result in upgrading even further!)

Thanks. Is direct drive much of an upgrade from fluid, other than ease of use?

Anyone have a direct drive or fluid. Are they really that quiet? Read product reviews saying that you just hear the chainset and nothing else but not sure if that's accurate

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I was admittedly going from a bottom end traditional turbo, but I have the elite turbo muin direct drive (non smart) and it is very quiet compared to that.

Great for in the house, and doubt I'd go back to a traditional one now. Kinda wish it was smart for doing trainer road a few months in tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

See another option is the kinetic road machine II for 280e. Anyone have one of these? Quiet?

Anyone use the turbo outside.....what happens if they get wet.....couldn't see anything on instructions book

Advertisement