Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gigabit port only getting 100Mbps

Options
  • 27-12-2016 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭

Looking for some assistance with a PC I built a few months ago. Only noticed a while ago that the network is only connecting as 100Mbps although there is a gigabit port on the motherboard.

The motherboard in question is a GigaByte GA-H110M-S2HP. I'm not sure if the speed ever got above 100Mbps as hadn't checked it until a few weeks ago.

The cable is CAT5e and when connecting to an old Dell Dimension 9200 I get a gigabit connection so is there anything I can check.

I just bought a TP-Link PCI Network card earlier in Curry's to see if it would give gigabit but it also only connects at 100Mbps.

The Speed and Duplex is set to 1.0 Gbps Full Duplex which I changed from Auto but it doesn't make a difference.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Had meant to say I'm on VM 240MB broadband but only gets around 90Mb on new PC while the old Dell will give around 220Mb consistently.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Plug that pc into the old one with that same cat5e cable and see what link speed you get

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭antomack

Just tried that and it shows 1 Gbps on both PC's.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 john0272

Weird... Did you try to download the latest driver on Gigabyte's website? When you install it make sure you uninstall the current driver first.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

antomack wrote: »
    Just tried that and it shows 1 Gbps on both PC's.

This sounds correct so?

The 2nd run/cable is 5e but badly terminated or damaged so as not to be up to spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

ED E wrote: »
    This sounds correct so?

The 2nd run/cable is 5e but badly terminated or damaged so as not to be up to spec.

Same cable, but I had him plug the two computers into each other.

router to pc = 100
    router to pc network card = 100
    router to old pc = 1000
    pc to old pc = 1000

the same one cable used

I can't think of what it could be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Which vodafone router is it? One of them had a serious layer 2 negotiation problem.

Other then that its likely the cable is damaged in some way. Auto/Auto does a integrity check and drops speed as required.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Which vodafone router is it? One of them had a serious layer 2 negotiation problem.

Other then that its likely the cable is damaged in some way. Auto/Auto does a integrity check and drops speed as required.

Its Virgin but their Ubee had a really weird bug where 1000Mb links would drop to 100Mb with about 30Mb effective.

If its 2 nics on the same device then I'd look to software or other environmental. Is the new PC earthed (EU to UK Adapter with no E pin etc)? After that, boot to Ubuntu and quickly test.

PS: If you've set it to 1000 FD and it didnt disconnect, it suggests the hardware is actually OK.

Advertisement