Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orion 50mm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭allinthehead

Very nice.

☀️

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

Wow!! thats a great shot !! - one thing CC ? for stacking ?

similar to Deep Sky Tracker?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Wow!! thats a great shot !! - one thing CC ? for stacking ?

similar to Deep Sky Tracker?

Yeah file - script - open files to stack - align stack .
    Then select all layers and convert into a smart object.
    Then go to layers - smart object - stack mode - median.

I dont like DSS anymore, it either stalls too much due to "lack of memory" when i have it using a TB drive. Or it spits out an image thats practically black and white and is horrible trying to put colour back into it.

also , no scope used here ? just iOptron to pan the cam across the sky ?

also , no scope used here ? just iOptron to pan the cam across the sky ?

Nope just a nifty 50. Nice and simple setup.

• Advertisement

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Nope just a nifty 50. Nice and simple setup.

W0WWWWW!!!
    Good to know, can't wait to get the iOptron skytracker ... ive been putting it off a while now - but its time :)

Attached is the before and after processing of the final stack.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Dang, that is pretty amazing.

Incredible ... to think you can get all that detail from not even using a scope!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Interesting. I was thinking of trying a bit of astrophotography and always thought I'd have to invest in a new scope with a tracking mount etc. but this opens up some new possibilities as I already have an, albeit ancient, DSLR, a Nikon D70s and a slew of lenses.

I have to ask though what is this mysterious CC software of which you speak?

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    Interesting. I was thinking of trying a bit of astrophotography and always thought I'd have to invest in a new scope with a tracking mount etc. but this opens up some new possibilities as I already have an, albeit ancient, DSLR, a Nikon D70s and a slew of lenses.

I have to ask though what is this mysterious CC software of which you speak?

The Nikon D70 wouldn't fair well in low light, those old sensors would just give you a red blotch of death trying to boost ISO up.

Adobe Photoshop CC. Just the latest version.

The Nikon D70 wouldn't fair well in low light, those old sensors would just give you a red blotch of death trying to boost ISO up.
    Ah well, that puts paid to that idea then :(
    Adobe Photoshop CC. Just the latest version.
    OK, never heard of it before, Photoshop, yes, but not that version.

You can also use free software like Deep Sky Stacker to stack the images http://deepskystacker.free.fr/english/index.html

I actually never heard of CC either :o ... CS yes ..

OK, so suppose I could persuade my financial manager (AKA the missus!) to allow me to fork out for a new Nikon body, what would I be looking for? All the lenses I have are DX lenses, so a FX sensor body would cause further problems, and also expense, so a DX sensor model would be ideal. Not looking to spend very much as I don't tend to use my existing D70s much these days either to be honest. Even a second-hand body could be an option if something is available that can be recommended.

OK, so suppose I could persuade my financial manager (AKA the missus!) to allow me to fork out for a new Nikon body, what would I be looking for? All the lenses I have are DX lenses, so a FX sensor body would cause further problems, and also expense, so a DX sensor model would be ideal. Not looking to spend very much as I don't tend to use my existing D70s much these days either to be honest. Even a second-hand body could be an option if something is available that can be recommended.

Should be able to find a decent Nikon D5300 or D7000/D7100 2nd hand on adverts perhaps. I had the D7000 and was great for night sky shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭tritium

You could if you like DIY at all build a simple barn door mount and see how you get on at slightly lower isos with your existing kit. Not as useful for high magnification but with a 50mm or less theyre pretty good. It might be a cheap way to see how you like it before you decide what to pump money into. I confess though im unfamiliar with what is a decent iso level for your current camera since i dont use nikon.

Disclaimer/ warning: a cheap way to start out but before you know it your manual barn door mount has become a motorised mount. Then you look enviously at an ioptron skytracker. Then faster lenses, better bodies, eq mounts, ......

Advertisement