Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning back to Australia after ending WH 417 visa after 6 months

• 27-12-2016 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

So I was planning a move back to Australia in 2017.

Back in 2015 I took up the WH Visa and worked for 4 months and stayed in Australia for 6 months, before leaving for personal reasons. I still have bank account with Wespac Bank with a lot of money in it from working and a tax number. I paid tax and super. All above board.

This time I want to stay for a long time with my partner. We would like to get two good office jobs or one of us start a business.

Can you I return on WH visa and finish the last 6 months?

Can I invest in Australia and get a visa ?

Please, let me know.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

No, your WH visa is now expired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

thejourney wrote: »
    So I was planning a move back to Australia in 2017.

Back in 2015 I took up the WH Visa and worked for 4 months and stayed in Australia for 6 months, before leaving for personal reasons. I still have bank account with Wespac Bank with a lot of money in it from working and a tax number. I paid tax and super. All above board.

This time I want to stay for a long time with my partner. We would like to get two good office jobs or one of us start a business.

Can you I return on WH visa and finish the last 6 months?

No your visa has expired and is no longer valid. Unless you spent 3 of the 4 months working in a regional area doing specified work then the working holiday visa is not an option for you.

Can I invest in Australia and get a visa ?

Yes...if you have at least $1.5million ready to invest:)

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/891-

Please, let me know.

Your only other options are temporary migration(457 sponsored) and permanent migration which will depend on what skills and qualifications you have. Neither will be a quick route to returning to Australia.
    Getting sponsorship from abroad is very difficult and getting permanent residency can be a long and expensive path.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭thejourney

aido79 wrote: »
    No your visa has expired and is no longer valid. Unless you spent 3 of the 4 months working in a regional area doing specified work then the working holiday visa is not an option for you.

Yes...if you have at least $1.5million ready to invest:)

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/891-

Your only other options are temporary migration(457 sponsored) and permanent migration which will depend on what skills and qualifications you have. Neither will be a quick route to returning to Australia.
    Getting sponsorship from abroad is very difficult and getting permanent residency can be a long and expensive path.

what about setting up Irish business and then an Irish office in AUS? Could my employees work and live in AUS to run my business? Could i Sponsor them as employer ?

what about setting up Irish business and then an Irish office in AUS? Could my employees work and live in AUS to run my business? Could i Sponsor them as employer ?

Without meaning to offend you if you are not prepared to do this sort of research for yourself then it probably isn't a good idea for you to pursue this. It would be huge task and not an easy one to do successfully from the other side of the world without a visa.

It would be possible to do all of the things you have asked but would most likely require a massive initial outlay and some help from someone living in Australia would definitely make it easier.

Have you any idea of the chances of the type of business you want to set up succeeding in Australia considering 60% of all small businesses fail in the first 3 years:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/2015/09/27/why-small-businesses-fail-in-australia/

aido79 wrote: »
    Without meaning to offend you if you are not prepared to do this sort of research for yourself then it probably isn't a good idea for you to pursue this. It would be huge task and not an easy one to do successfully from the other side of the world without a visa.

It would be possible to do all of the things you have asked but would most likely require a massive initial outlay and some help from someone living in Australia would definitely make it easier.

Have you any idea of the chances of the type of business you want to set up succeeding in Australia considering 60% of all small businesses fail in the first 3 years:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/2015/09/27/why-small-businesses-fail-in-australia/

Thanks for feedback. Would an Irish lawyer or Aus Lawyer be better for this?

So you believe its possible

Well if I set up the business in Ireland. Lets say a digital marketing company.
    This is a very easy process and should take 1 month. Next thing I do is open a branch in Aus and send my workers over there to work.

Have I missed anything?

• Advertisement

Thanks for feedback. Would an Irish lawyer or Aus Lawyer be better for this?

I would imagine you will need both at some stage.
    So you believe its possible

I believe it's possible but I think it will require a sizable investment.
    This is a very easy process and should take 1 month.

That may be easy...this may not be....

Next thing I do is open a branch in Aus and send my workers over there to work.
    Have I missed anything?

You would need to be approved as a sponsor in Australia which may mean employing local people to satisfy the ratio of local workers to sponsored workers.
    Would your employees be on the skills list for sponsorship? Not every job is eligible for sponsorship and the list changes and usually gets smaller all of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

This is a very easy process and should take 1 month. Next thing I do is open a branch in Aus and send my workers over there to work.

Have I missed anything?

Yes, you have missed a lot. If it was that easy anyone from the world could do this.
    You would need probably a few million in turnover and a lot of staff to even be considered.

If you are willing to open up a company in Australia, why not try the easier rout of looking for sponsored job?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Irish_Aus

As someone who has slugged their guts out, gone through the correct Visa channels, paid tax and contributed to society in Australia, I find these questions hard to stomach. Instead of trying the backdoor route, I suggest you do a lot more research and explore alternative Visa's based on your qualifications/experience.

ciarand11 wrote: »
    As someone who has slugged their guts out, gone through the correct Visa channels, paid tax and contributed to society in Australia, I find these questions hard to stomach. Instead of trying the backdoor route, I suggest you do a lot more research and explore alternative Visa's based on your qualifications/experience.

you do know I would not be sneaking in, if anything i would be give more that you who is only an employee not an employer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

you do know I would not be sneaking in, if anything i would be give more that you who is only an employee not an employer

I wouldn't say that what you are suggesting is akin to sneaking in, but having been around here for a long time what you are suggesting is not new.

It is perfectly legitimate to start up a business in Australia, the whole sponsorship of employee's including yourself is your sticking point.

Maybe 5/6 years ago people were starting up sham companies and doing this whole self-sponsorship, until the Dept of Immigration (now Border Force) got tipped off LOL...and sparked an investigation into misuse of the 457 visa.

As a result there was and is continuous change to the 457 sponsorship visa, although it is still possible for startup company that has been trading for less than 12 months in Australia to sponsor (inc owner and other) there are now restrictions on of which you would only get a max of 18month visa. There are numerous immigration lawyers and agents willing to take your money to chase limited hope. The main sticking point is any employee inc yourself would need to satisfy an occupation on the list plus other stipulations. It is hard to justify the cost unless you know for certain that you will actually benefit.

For anyone intending on migration to Australia it advisable to have a profession or occupation that meets one of the visa requirements.

• Advertisement

mandrake04 wrote: »
    I wouldn't say that what you are suggesting is akin to sneaking in, but having been around here for a long time what you are suggesting is not new.

It is perfectly legitimate to start up a business in Australia, the whole sponsorship of employee's including yourself is your sticking point.

Maybe 5/6 years ago people were starting up sham companies and doing this whole self-sponsorship, until the Dept of Immigration (now Border Force) got tipped off LOL...and sparked an investigation into misuse of the 457 visa.

As a result there was and is continuous change to the 457 sponsorship visa, although it is still possible for startup company that has been trading for less than 12 months in Australia to sponsor (inc owner and other) there are now restrictions on of which you would only get a max of 18month visa. There are numerous immigration lawyers and agents willing to take your money to chase limited hope. The main sticking point is any employee inc yourself would need to satisfy an occupation on the list plus other stipulations. It is hard to justify the cost unless you know for certain that you will actually benefit.

For anyone intending on migration to Australia it advisable to have a profession or occupation that meets one of the visa requirements.

Yeah thanks for advice. I will probably take NZ up for 2 years as it offering skilled workers like myself an easy visa and an even easier way to start a business compared. If i like NZ I will stay. If I don't I will try to move business from NZ to AUS as that is a lot easier

NZ citzens dont need Aus visa to work in Aus ? Correct?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Yeah thanks for advice. I will probably take NZ up for 2 years as it offering skilled workers like myself an easy visa and an even easier way to start a business compared. If i like NZ I will stay. If I don't I will try to move business from NZ to AUS as that is a lot easier

NZ citzens dont need Aus visa to work in Aus ? Correct?

All non-Australians need a visa, they use SC 444 visa. Easy to get tho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

I will probably take NZ up for 2 years as it offering skilled workers like myself an easy visa and an even easier way to start a business compared.

Which visa is this if you don't mind me asking? Lived in Australia for 3 years myself and loved it. Been back in Ireland 2 years now and considering NZ for a while. Only holidayed there for a few weeks but seems like a lovely place.

Advertisement