Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hybrid Quandry

• 28-12-2016 12:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,918 ✭✭✭

Evening all.

There's a chance I'll come into a few bob in the new year. This should allow me to buy something I'd normally not be able to. Not new mind. Maybe import secondhand.

I've always fancied a Lexus IS300h F-Sport. Think they have a lovely presence.
    But I've been reading up on the BMW Active Hybrid 3, and ignoring the styling, the thing seems to be a bit of an animal.

I know Walrus (I think) has the Lexus, but does anyone have experience of the Beemer?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,674 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I think that was a model aimed at the US market. I doubt a single one ever sold here. Was it even for sale? I wouldn't really recommend either car.

You don't say how much your windfall is, but a hybrid that might interest you is the current model BMW 330e. New only about the same price as a 318d (yes, really!) because of the subsidies, it seems to be an excellent hybrid petrol and pretty fast too having 250bhp and with a 0-100km/h time of 6s if I remember right. It does only have 4 cylinders though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,918 ✭✭✭Soarer

Cheers Unkel.

Both cars are (fairly) readily available in the UK. I'd be leaning towards the Lexus as Toyota have been doing the hybrid thing for much longer than BMW. But the Active's numbers are impressive....
    3.0 straight 6
    Twin Turbo
    330+ bhp
    300+ lb/ft

Oh, and the budget would be around the €20k mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

Toyota are doing hybrid tech sharing with BMW, hence why they're so good, but with a username like Soarer it'd have to be a Lexus , but than again usernames can be changed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭Ihackedboardz

I bought the Exec version of the 300h last Jan & I have to say I'm delighted with it, so comfy & while it isn't a Porsche 918 when it comes to speed, it can certainly move when it wants to... no problem with keeping up with the ahem 70+ speed limit here & I've never had issues with overtaking any average car

Being the lux Toyota line, Lexus tend to be pretty much bomb proof (although I'm sure someone will argue they aren't, after all, this is Boards.ie! :rolleyes: )

Your best bet is to take each car out for a spin from a dealer & see what suits you best & what sort of money your looking at...

BTW, I brought mine in from the UK & saved myself a small fortune compared to the Irish prices... worth looking into if your a cash buyer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,674 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Soarer wrote: »
    I'd be leaning towards the Lexus as Toyota have been doing the hybrid thing for much longer than BMW.

In that case, don't rule out Porsche. They had a petrol electric 4WD hybrid out 100 years before the first Prius. Toyota / Lexus arrived very late for this game :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement