Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your favourite kids film?

Options
  • 28-12-2016 12:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭

NB: Not from your time when you were a kid!!
    A recent enough movie.

One that you can enjoy with the kids and get annoyed if you have to get off the couch to do important grown-up chores.

'Wreck it Ralph' is my favourite at the moment.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

The Aristocats is my all-time favourite animated film! When I was a kid it was always The Jungle Book. There's something so warm and fuzzy about them! I also love Mulan of the more modern ones and Tarzan. I'm usually not a softie but those two really bring out the inner child in me. Of the newer Pixar ones I always liked Monsters Inc but I never think any of those have the same heart as the old ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭celligraphy

Trolls , it is actually really good and has a lot of songs to sing along, currently have watched it 6 times already

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

How has no one mentioned Frozen yet?! They love it here :)

Aside from that Inside Out and Mulan are the firm favourites around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

Cars 1 & 2, planes 1 & 2, all the toy stories, monsters Inc. Tangled is good, inside out we like. The croods is very good, bolt, how to train your Dragon. But yeah, cars gets played at least once a day here, definitely my child's favourite. But all very watchable, so I don't mind them, I'll happily sit and watch them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Tangled and Brave I like quite a lot and the 1st Shrek.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Trolls , it is actually really good and has a lot of songs to sing along, currently have watched it 6 times already

Totally the favourite here at the moment, thankful for the decline of frozen! My 2 year old can sing true colors from start to finish!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Bollywoodisle

Sound of music

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Bollywoodisle

Home alone 2

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭celligraphy

Totally the favourite here at the moment, thankful for the decline of frozen! My 2 year old can sing true colors from start to finish!

Thats so cute I Love the songs and its such a cheerful movie ! Never liked frozen well I didn't 3 year old loved it until she discovered trolls and Mulan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

The Lone Ranger.. We recorded this a couple of weeks ago. The two boys (8&10) totally loved the cowboy/Indian side to it and roared laughing the whole way through.

It's swashbuckling, action-packed, over-dramatic, slapstick, funny, and well-acted. Perfect for kids.
    We won't delete it any time soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Brave, Bolt and Bee Movie are the favourites here... but that could be because I have alphabetised the films on our storage device, and those are the ones my 5 year old recognised first. ;)

They saw Home Alone recently though and nearly got sick laughing.

I like Antz too, but they don't get it yet. Same for lego movie.

I wouldn't write iff the oldies either. Pocohontus, chitty chitty bang bang, the little mermaid, dumbo, Pinocchio, bambi, 101 dalmations, mary poppins, peter pan, the jungle book. Does Cars count as old? It's over a decade now. The Princess Bride. The Incredibles, and obvs... E.T. What modern childhood is complete without that?

And I mean, the jungle book is like a jazz intro. Should almost be REQUIRED watching for music educational purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

jacksie66 wrote: »
    The Disney animated Robin Hood..

I absolutely adore this film and my kids love it now too.

The Polar Express is an excellent kids Christmas movie that I love watching start to finish.
    There's actually not many of the recent kids movies that I havn't enjoyed watching start to finish. We saw Trolls in the cinema but I'm looking forward to watching it again!

We do not really re-watch movies often here so can not really list movies by how much we like watching them over and over which is what I think the OP meant :)

So no real favorites to mention and most good ones have been mentioned already.

However one that not many people know or mention - but which my kids really enjoyed - is the 2014 movie "The Hero of Color City". Simple story and simply made but all round well delivered. And I usually get heartily thanked for the recommendation when I pass it on to parents for whom it passed them by.

The 2013 time Traveling Turkey story line of "Free Birds" is also worth a watch. I found a few laughs in that one as an adult too.

"Up" usually gets mentioned eventually on threads like this.

And for slightly older kids or kids able for slightly scarier films "Maleficent" is also good. Though with younger kids I recommend ending the movie / story just after she gets her wings back. Kids are happy with that - and they do not really need the closure of the scarier darker final battle / confrontation. Watch it yourself once and work out the best time to stop it if you're worried about the scarier part and death scene at the end. My daughter watched it without - as I stopped it - and didn't bother her at all as the story was essentially over.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I caught a re-run of megamind a while back on the telly, hadn't seen it in a long time - it had me in stitches, I had completely forgotten how funny it was.
    Well worth checking out - it's one the kids will love but there's plenty in there to keep yourself entertained also.

(or maybe I just have a mental age of around 7)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Top 3 at the minute, Trolls, Storks and Gnomes.
    All great, with enough in jokes to keep us and the 2&3 yr olds equally entertained.

Quite enjoyed Frozen. But they've moved on..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Finding Nemo and Finding Dory.
    They are old, but my little lad loves all the Toy Story films.
    The Shaun the Sheep movie was a big hit here too (he talked/laughed about the bull landing in a pile of manure for days!)
    Frozen, unfortunately. Really don't enjoy that one myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Finding Nemo and Finding Dory.
    They are old, but my little lad loves all the Toy Story films.
    The Shaun the Sheep movie was a big hit here too (he talked/laughed about the bull landing in a pile of manure for days!)
    Frozen, unfortunately. Really don't enjoy that one myself.

Are they 'your' current favourites though? We're being selfish 😎

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Oops, I misread the title! Well all of the ones I listed except Frozen - my absolute favourite is Toy Story 3. The incinerator scene gets me every time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Oops, I misread the title! Well all of the ones I listed except Frozen - my absolute favourite is Toy Story 3. The incinerator scene gets me every time!

Jeez that scene is intense alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I liked the Angry Birds movie as well as Finding Dory. To be honest, as long as they don't have sickening songs in them I find most of the kids movies pretty decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

mordeith wrote: »
    I liked the Angry Birds movie as well as Finding Dory. To be honest, as long as they don't have sickening songs in them I find most of the kids movies pretty decent.

Ooooh I can disagree there easily enough. If you've spent any time in a children's hospital, that's where all the crappy ones get donated to!
    Or even browse netflix under children's film. Plenty of crud there. :D

Foodfight
    Norm of the north
    My little pony the movie.

And then we are into the world of cheapy sequels and awful spin offs.
    Beauty and the beast enchanted christmas (puke)
    Beauty and the beast magical world
    Hoodwinked too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

I dont think it's right for a parent to have a favourite child....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I adore the 'how to train your dragon' films.

I loved the 'Secret of Kells' and I thought 'Song of the Sea' was sublime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Bit off topic, but - what age did your kids start enjoying movies at? My oldest has recently turned three but he still wouldnt sit through a movie - most of the time he loses interest within the first 10 minutes! His daddy is a BIG animated movies fan and is dying for the day when they can sit down together and watch one!

Bit off topic, but - what age did your kids start enjoying movies at? My oldest has recently turned three but he still wouldnt sit through a movie - most of the time he loses interest within the first 10 minutes! His daddy is a BIG animated movies fan and is dying for the day when they can sit down together and watch one!

It depends on the movie. My youngest will sit through some at age 2 and not others. so hard to pin-point a real time because it is not black and white - more shades of gray.

What the daddy in your situation can do is aim towards animated movies of shorter length - if he simply can not wait to share the experiences. There is loads of these.

The Toy Story DVDs for example come with 4 or 5 mini movies. The one where Rex becomes a party organiser is my fave - but the one with ken and barbie going on a romantic holiday together is pretty good too.

The minions DVDs are the same with a few shorter movies.

But things like "Mog the cat" and "The gruffalo" have been made into shorter movies. Green Eggs and ham - and the sneetches too are less recent examples.

And my own top recommendation the BBC production of Julia Donaldsons "Room on the Broom" was done remarkably well - with a good voice cast like Rob Brydon and Gillian Anderson.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I'm surprised no one has mentioned UP yet? Love that movie.

Cars was a big favourite in our house when the child was younger. Seen a trailer for Cars 3 - it looks really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

wreck it ralph
    Monsters university
    Sound of music
    Mega mind
    Trolls
    Sleeping beauty (have it on video :eek:, how old am I)
    Shrek
    Madagascar
    Lego movie, actually love love that
    Big
    Kung Fu Panda
    The Goonies
    Indian Jones

There's probably loads more, I think I prefer to sit down with the kids & watch a good movie more than them !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭con___manx1

The secret of nimph
    The never ending story 1
    Jamanji

• Advertisement

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned UP yet?

I did already.

Actually I am surprised no one - myself included - mentioned "Home" yet. I really liked that one. Jim Parsons & Steve Martin were great casting for the voices too.

Advertisement