Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Controlling outside lighting

Options
  • 28-12-2016 1:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭

I'm building a shed at the moment and planning to have a consumer unit installed in it (by a qualified electrician) to feed lights and sockets.

I'd like to fit lights on the outside of the shed that I can control from inside the house.

What are the options here. Is a radio controlled remote system the only safe option?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

You can install a Stinel wireless receiver like this and use a key fob to switch the lights:

https://www.fastlec.co.uk/705510-steinel-impulser-fe8100-wireless-receiver-white.html

From memory the range is about 100m. I have used these in the past they are a robust device.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭eurokev

You could go the home automation route. Iv bought a few energenie mihome adapters, relays, sockets and switches over the last few weeks for myself for Xmas.

I initially only bought the starter set to control Xmas lighting around the house, but I am hooked now.

You can control all these via an app you download to your phone/tablet. You can also set up timers and use ifttt. I am controlling my shed lights, heater and power tool chargers now remotely, plus a litany of things in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭hesker

Thanks Folks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,471 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

eurokev wrote: »
    You could go the home automation route. Iv bought a few energenie mihome adapters, relays, sockets and switches over the last few weeks for myself for Xmas.

I initially only bought the starter set to control Xmas lighting around the house, but I am hooked now.

You can control all these via an app you download to your phone/tablet. You can also set up timers and use ifttt. I am controlling my shed lights, heater and power tool chargers now remotely, plus a litany of things in the house.

Very interesting, thank you, did you source in UK or here?.
    What is iftt please

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Very interesting, thank you, did you source in UK or here?.
    What is iftt please

This is the forum for those questions. A whole new world :D

• Advertisement

2011 wrote: »
    This is the forum for those questions. A whole new world :D

Seems impressive what you can do alright.

Before I go over there to bombard them with questions one last question for the experts here.

My first intention was to install soffit downlights, in 2 groups. One group would be a line of four at the front soffit. Another would be a group at the gable.

And I'd like to be able to control these using a weather rated switch mounted on the outside of the shed.

Do you reckon this could all be integrated so that I could control via the wifi app (presumably using relays) or the outside switches.

hesker wrote:
    Do you reckon this could all be integrated so that I could control via the wifi app (presumably using relays) or the outside switches.

Seems impressive what you can do alright.

Before I go over there to bombard them with questions one last question for the experts here.

My first intention was to install soffit downlights, in 2 groups. One group would be a line of four at the front soffit. Another would be a group at the gable.

And I'd line to be able to control these using a weather rated switch mounted on the outside of the shed.

Ya just do a 2 way light switch (Google) this is the method used to be able to turn lights on and off on a landing from both upstairs and downstairs. One way of turning on the lights would be by your weather rated switch the other would be by a smart switch.

eurokev wrote: »
    Ya just do a 2 way light switch (Google) this is the method used to be able to turn lights on and off on a landing from both upstairs and downstairs. One way of turning on the lights would be by your weather rated switch the other would be by a smart switch.

Yes of course. Should have realised that.

And then there is this.

https://energenie4u.co.uk/catalogue/product/MIHO014

Not sure there is a weather rated version of it.

hesker wrote:
    Yes of course. Should have realised that.

And then there is this.

Not sure there is a weather rated version of it.

Sure it wouldn't be outside cause you would be using that for switching via the app so you could put it inside say the wall of the shed opposite the outdoor weather proof switch you want.

I have 3 relays and use them for isolating my shed, some outdoor sockets and turning on and off my immersion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

hesker wrote:
    And I'd like to be able to control these using a weather rated switch mounted on the outside of the shed.

Well I've a lightwaverf system.

I don't know what you mean by weather related. But I use a dusk to dawn google condition. It checks the internet to see when it's dark in my area and turns the lights on then they turn off on a timer.

You have have relays too the units above are good too but I'd never bother with a photo sensor for on off switching again.

The units mentioned above are good too.

Lightwaverf has an excellent ifft set of conditions and you could do more with the google weather related triggers there too if you want.

Have a look as at YouTube video for IFTTT to see what it can do for you
    If you have an IFTTT approved weather station you could be even meeting specific with your triggers

• Advertisement

Stoner wrote: »
    I don't know what you mean by weather related. But I use a dusk to dawn google condition. It checks the internet to see when it's dark in my area and turns the lights on then they turn off on a timer.

Not weather related but weather rated as in IP66 enclosure.

Have been reading up on the Home Automation forum. I may go for one of these systems just for the hell of it. It would be handy also to be able to control the shed heating remotely and monitor the energy usage.

Advertisement