Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My 1st deer hunting rifle, What caliber?

Options
  • 28-12-2016 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭

Hi,

I've had a .22 rifle and a shotgun since I was 18, now at 30 I'm taking the steps to do what I've wanted to do since day 1, hunt deer.
    I've been looking at a few caliber of rifle and I've decided on either a .243 or 6.5x55.
    Would it be easier to justify a .243 than a 6.5? Is a .243 justified for shooting fox? Because I've permission to do that.
    I've no deer hunting licence as of yet and maybe a 6.5 would require one?
    Just trying to find the path of least resistance with regards to the Gardai.
    I'll obviously be getting a deer hunting licence as soon as I find a willing land owner to grant me permission but actually having the rifle in my possession would be a big plus.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

A 243 and 6.5 would be the exact same in terms of ease of licensing and appropriateness. ~IOW neither one is easier to license than the other.

Also if you ant to shoot foxes you can do so with either once you get the deer license with it.

So now it's a case of which you prefer. In terms of calibre both are a good flat shooting round out to 300 yards. Ammo is about the same price per box, and you can get either calibre in a mulititude of rifle designs.

So you need to go out and take a look and see what is there. If it's only hunting then look towards a lighter set up. You don't need a heavy barrel that can do range work all day but you also don't want some pencil barrel that heats up with the first shot.

Look towards a medium profile barrel rifle with standard hunting stock. Your Sako A7, Tikka T3, Reminton 700s would all be perfect.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

Don't pass by a .308 if you see one at the right price. Great selection of ammunition for them, no more or less difficult to licence than the other two you mention. The round is short which makes the action short and neater.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Free-2-Flow

Cass wrote:
    Look towards a medium profile barrel rifle with standard hunting stock. Your Sako A7, Tikka T3, Reminton 700s would all be perfect.

My brother currently has a deposit on a T3 6.5, beautiful rifle, I love the Rem 700, now its just a case of securing permission to shoot in order to obtain a licence which I'm finding quite difficult.

Cass, A few years ago I asked my firearms officer in my local station what he thought about me getting a large caliber like a .308 when I was getting my European firearms pass for my .22 and his reply was, and I quote "Are they the rifles with the bolt thingy?"
    No word of a lie.

You can't cure stupid. Just smile, drop off your application, and walk slowly backwards out the door. :D

It's why we have to know more than the Gardaí. We essentially process our own licenses and just need them to stamp it.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Hi,

I've had a .22 rifle and a shotgun since I was 18, now at 30 I'm taking the steps to do what I've wanted to do since day 1, hunt deer.
    I've been looking at a few caliber of rifle and I've decided on either a .243 or 6.5x55.
    Would it be easier to justify a .243 than a 6.5? Is a .243 justified for shooting fox? Because I've permission to do that.
    I've no deer hunting licence as of yet and maybe a 6.5 would require one?
    Just trying to find the path of least resistance with regards to the Gardai.
    I'll obviously be getting a deer hunting licence as soon as I find a willing land owner to grant me permission but actually having the rifle in my possession would be a big plus.

Cass wrote:
    You can't cure stupid. Just smile, drop off your application, and walk slowly backwards out the door.

Cass wrote:
    It's why we have to know more than the Gardaí. We essentially process our own licenses and just need them to stamp it.

Ain't that the truth

Case of bigger the better?

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Tommyaya4

The way the licenceing is gone if it's a deer caliber you will need to have a deer licence id worry about sorting out your permissions before worrying about caliber

Case of bigger the better?

No , that would be .30-06 or .300 win mag. The .308 is a more versatile round, a much larger selection of bullet weights than the .243 or .270. I think i am correct in saying its the most popular hunting round in the usa currently, great for anything from foxes to deer to wild boar if you go abroad.

I had a sako .308 and loved it, it was an old one made in the 1960's. Everything i fed it from 110 grains to 190 grains went into the one ragged hole. It didn't kick nearly as hard as the remmy .270 i had. Thinking back it was probably the ideal rifle for hunting in ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

If only the one rifle I'd get a 308.
    Then you'll have no issues hunting across Europe for other game.
    Plus it's a really great round.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Before deciding on a calibre to buy do like I did.

Go into your local dealer and see what he has in ammo. I picked a 308 because my dealer has the most of that type in stock when compared to the other calibres on the shelf, as did other dealers.

When you have your calibre decided on then go and try as many rifles as you can. Pick them up, shoulder them feel them over. Some/most of the Remington's will need a trigger change out.

My choice of makes would be...
    Tikka
    Sako (my .308 rifle)
    CZ 550 a great starter rifle IMO, I shot my first deer with one in 6.5x55

And I always go for the heavy'er barrels on all my rifles.
    If like me after a while you may well get into a bit of target shooting on a range or even competition shooting. Then that bigger barrel will stand to you.
    I won the 'Sporting Rifle' competition in the UK this year. 100 yards 5 shots in 30 seconds off sticks standing, repeated twice, warms up a barrel in quick order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭arrowloopboy

Tikka T3 .270(cut to 19")plus Hausken (very important) ,sorted .
    Or a Sako or Blaser if budget is available .

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭FISMA.

+1 for what CliveJ said. My advice exactly.

I can't imagine the local dealer carrying much 6.5.

243 would be a grand choice for someone looking for a crossover round between deer and foxes.

For a rifle dedicated to deer or putting holes in paper, I would go with the 308. Too well supported in Eire.

As for the path of least resistance, get what you want and don't worry about the paperwork.

clivej wrote:
    And I always go for the heavy'er barrels on all my rifles. If like me after a while you may well get into a bit of target shooting on a range or even competition shooting. Then that bigger barrel will stand to you. I won the 'Sporting Rifle' competition in the UK this year. 100 yards 5 shots in 30 seconds off sticks standing, repeated twice, warms up a barrel in quick order.

I've been target shooting with my .22 Anschutz around Europe for 10 years, been to Bisley a few times too, Time to go bigger.

clivej wrote:
    My choice of makes would be... Tikka Sako (my .308 rifle) CZ 550 a great starter rifle IMO, I shot my first deer with one in 6.5x55

I went into my local dealer, too many to choose from haha, he has a Tikka T3 6.5, CZ 550, Ruger 308, Rem 700 .243

You need to choose the rifle and calibre you want first ,but don't stick to your local dealer ,with the slight upturn in the economy ,a lot of guys I know traded up in the past year or 2 so I presume its widespread, and hence theirs lots of good 2nd hand stuff on the market ,you should pick up a nice Tikka T3 for 600/700 odd quid ,great rifle for that kind of money .

I've been target shooting with my .22 Anschutz around Europe for 10 years, been to Bisley a few times too, Time to go bigger.

Well done Clive ,have you pictures of your winning groups ,love to see them:cool:

Pkiernan wrote: »
    If only the one rifle I'd get a 308.
    Then you'll have no issues hunting across Europe for other game.
    Plus it's a really great round.

EXCEPT in FRANCE ,friend of mine bought a beautifull grade 8 Blaser Attache only to find out a civilian can't shoot a .308 in France ,because the military use a .308 / 7.62mm :eek::D:D:D

Well done Clive ,have you pictures of your winning groups ,love to see them

?? Me or Clive?

• Advertisement

Well done Clive ,have you pictures of your winning groups ,love to see them:cool:

Never got to see the targets for a photo (only to shoot at them). Here is the score card 147/150 so I dropped 3. Only 2 points separated 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

Competition details are.
    100y 5 shots standing off sticks in 30 seconds shot twice.
    200y 10 shots standing off sticks in 12 minutes, each shot is scored and marked so takes longer.
    300y 10 shots prone in 12 minutes, each shot is scored and marked so takes longer.

404906.jpg

Then it's also time to think about the rifle as well. Plenty of shooting to do in Bisley with a hunting rifle. :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

EXCEPT in FRANCE ,friend of mine bought a beautifull grade 8 Blaser Attache only to find out a civilian can't shoot a .308 in France ,because the military use a .308 / 7.62mm :eek::D:D:D

I'm almost certain that's changed in the last few years, the 30-06 and 308 are now acceptable.
    I'll try and dig up the article I read it in.

clivej wrote:
    Then it's also time to think about the rifle as well. Plenty of shooting to do in Bisley with a hunting rifle.

Just need to secure land now, I'm in a .22 club and cannot get a large caliber licence with my club details, It would mean joining the Midlands aswell which my wife would most likely divorce me for spending all my money on Guns haha

Just need to secure land now, I'm in a .22 club and cannot get a large caliber licence with my club details, It would mean joining the Midlands aswell which my wife would most likely divorce me for spending all my money on Guns haha

What part of the country are you in... Plenty more ranges for shooting rifles than the Midlands.

.......... It would mean joining the Midlands aswell which my wife would most likely divorce me ............
    Just on that point.

Joining a range that caters for centrefire will most likely get you the calibre you want, but only for target shooting. It will not be a "backdoor" into hunting without having to get the necessary land details or licenses.

If you tick target shooting on the form you need range details, but if you tick hunting as well you need to supply deer licenses, land details, etc. Tick hunting without these or don't tick it and think you can go hunting means you might fall foul of the local Super.

It's why i tick hunting and target shooting for most every firearm i have. You apply for the reason you want the gun.

Just a heads up, not lecturing.
    Clivej wrote:
    Plenty more ranges for shooting rifles than the Midlands
    There are only a few around the country that are centrefire rated, and the midlands is the only one that goes to long ranges.

clivej wrote:
    What part of the country are you in... Plenty more ranges for shooting rifles than the Midlands.

Cass wrote:
    There are only a few around the country that are centrefire rated, and the midlands is the only one that goes to long ranges.

I am currently in Dublin Rifle Club in the Kilbride area, don't know of any centrefire clubs other than Midlands, maybe hilltop also

I am currently in Dublin Rifle Club in the Kilbride area, don't know of any centrefire clubs other than Midlands, maybe hilltop also

Harbour House is not that far away from you. Near Nurney in Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,397 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Is shooting foxes a thing? Why would anyone want to do that?

• Advertisement

lawred2 wrote: »
    Is shooting foxes a thing? Why would anyone want to do that?

To stop them killing lambs/poultry/gamebirds i suppose. Farmers and gamekeepers are funny that way.

Advertisement